Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 11:01 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Theres no denying that in certain areas of Scotland, especially Glasgow and Dundee, the amount of "early" deaths is on par with Eastern Europe. We need to take it on the chin and get something done about it, education in schools in poor areas of the cities especially. Most people I know my age drink excessively to a degree that would shock most other developed countries, young men drinking a litre bottle of vodka to themselves on a Friday night isn't unusual in these areas, long term that's gonna cause major problems. Drugs are a huge problem also.
Neither is it here.

My Friend who is a girl drinks every weekend, from like 14. I have heard of people in the secondary school (i'm in grammar) drinking vodka in school.

I'm almost 17, still haven't touched alcohol. Mircale. My experiences with these young people is actually putting me off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 11:02 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It didn't help. So far though, Russia has the lowest life expectancy in Europe.
Considering Russia stretches to the Far East I would not consider it Europe.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:06 AM

16,671 posts, read 17,437,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Neither is it here.

My Friend who is a girl drinks every weekend, from like 14. I have heard of people in the secondary school (i'm in grammar) drinking vodka in school.

I'm almost 17, still haven't touched alcohol. Mircale. My experiences with these young people is actually putting me off.
Good for you!

Don't take any notice of people who seem to associate drinking with being macho- it's rubbish.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:36 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Neither is it here.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:55 AM

132 posts, read 139,136 times
[quote=owenc;27108316]Neither is it here.

I'm almost 17, still haven't touched alcohol. Mircale. My experiences with these young people is actually putting me off.[/QUOTE]

Top Bloke! There's so much to life,drink and drugs will keep you from experiencing all that life has to offer.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:46 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
Wish I could say the same! I had my first drink at 11! I have moved away from that crowd, still go out 3/4 times a month though. It is all about moderation!

Old 12-01-2012, 11:21 PM

585 posts, read 1,087,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Scottish death rates have dropped and the life expectancy is getting higher. I even posted links to confirm this. The nations in Europe with relatively high death rates and low life expectancies are the former Soviet nations, specifically Russia, Ukraine, and Belarus.
Do they too eat deep fried Mars Bars? - Let's face it, the high-carb. high-fat. high ethanol diet of many Scots may just have some impact on the early death rates.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:34 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel de Vol View Post
Do they too eat deep fried Mars Bars? - Let's face it, the high-carb. high-fat. high ethanol diet of many Scots may just have some impact on the early death rates.
It might contribute obesity and some early deaths. However, does everyone in Scotland eat that in large amounts?

And while Scotland's death rate might be high for the UK, it's lower than other parts of Europe.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:09 PM

554 posts, read 736,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel de Vol View Post
I'll toast to that!

Old 12-03-2012, 08:21 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
I believe Scotland also has the highest rate of Multiple Sclerosis in the world.

I've heard this as well. Lack of sunshine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom