Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 06:54 AM

326 posts, read 1,044,786 times

Advertisements

Emigration: Two million quit Britain in 'talent drain' - Telegraph

What do people reckon?

Why is Britain unique amoung advanced, industrialised rich nations in having such a high rate of emigration?

Is emigration an issue as big as immigration that needs to be talked about more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 07:12 AM

25,021 posts, read 28,018,196 times
Well, when I was in Britain, the TV and print media always had blue sunny skies and beaches with turquoise water in your face constantly. Plus the same media goes to different countries showing off bigger houses and land, and that drives the initial quest to emigrate, IMO. So, it plants a seed in their minds that they want more bang for their.....quid? Another reason I found, is a lot of Brits there are fed up with the chavery, poor school system, and immigrants (ironic). Well, that's just in the opinion of an outsider looking in. That's basically 6 months of in country observation on my part, overall.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:13 AM

16,734 posts, read 17,512,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinparis View Post
Emigration: Two million quit Britain in 'talent drain' - Telegraph

What do people reckon?

Why is Britain unique amoung advanced, industrialised rich nations in having such a high rate of emigration?

Is emigration an issue as big as immigration that needs to be talked about more?
In order to redress the balance I have come back.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
In order to redress the balance I have come back.
I'd like to know what the OP's take on it is, since he is one of those 2 million Brits who have called Britain quits.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:32 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,256,971 times
Lets start by saying that Britain is a great country with much to love, admire and miss when you leave permanently. For me, it was the high cost of living above all else. The weather doesn't help (although that's not everything), or does the chav culture and I think there seems a limit on opportunity there: there is much wealth but most opportunity lives in or around London which is grossly expensive if you ever want to raise a family.

The most emigrated countries too, for Brits, seem to have a few things in common: more attractive climates, space and the opportunity to own a home that isn't going to mortgage you to the eyeballs. There is no utopia but I think Britain has its lifestyle limitations.. if you know what I mean

Old 01-23-2013, 07:37 AM

My own reason for leaving was entirely based on work - I did not leave for any kind of lifestyle/climate/tax/quality of life reason. At any rate Paris is probably even more crowded and expensive as London is, taxes are even higher, and the weather's just a sh*t! Also I don't really consider it to be abroad, it's 2hrs20mins back to London by train, I pop back the whole time both for work and personal reasons. I really don't feel like I've actually "left" the UK.

At any rate I think the article highlights an interesting phenominum that isn't talked about enough.

Why does the UK, a developed, wealthy country with a high average income have the emigration rate more akin to a second-world, developing country?

Some ideas:

- Taxes too high? (but other countries eg France, Sweden, Belgium have even higher rates and no emigration problem..)
- Cost of living a problem? (in London, but other cities are actually some of Western Europe's cheapest)
- Unemployment? (actually, at ~8%, our rate is lower than both the US and the European average)
- Lousy dreary climate (But the Netherlands? N. Germany? Denmark? Belgium... all very similar)
- English language - it's easier to find work in the US/Australia etc than for a Frenchman?
- Culture - British people have long emigrated in search of a better life... it's deeply engrained...
- Crime? Housing?

I actually don't really have a straight answer.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:43 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,414,713 times
I'm not British but I did live in the UK for a while.

I left because I couldn't take the anti-Americanism, the impossibly high cost of living, and the knowledge that I would probably never be able to advance my career there. I reckon a lot of Brits leave for the latter two reasons. Being educated, native English speakers, and EU passport holders...there's a lot of opportunities for them in former Commonwealth countries and across the EU. I don't blame them for leaving.

(I don't blame people for leaving the US either.)

Old 01-23-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britinparis View Post
My own reason for leaving was entirely based on work - I did not leave for any kind of lifestyle/climate/tax/quality of life reason. At any rate Paris is probably even more crowded and expensive as London is, taxes are even higher, and the weather's just a sh*t! Also I don't really consider it to be abroad, it's 2hrs20mins back to London by train, I pop back the whole time both for work and personal reasons. I really don't feel like I've actually "left" the UK.

At any rate I think the article highlights an interesting phenominum that isn't talked about enough.

Why does the UK, a developed, wealthy country with a high average income have the emigration rate more akin to a second-world, developing country?

Some ideas:

- Taxes too high? (but other countries eg France, Sweden, Belgium have even higher rates and no emigration problem..)
- Cost of living a problem? (in London, but other cities are actually some of Western Europe's cheapest)
- Unemployment? (actually, at ~8%, our rate is lower than both the US and the European average)
- Lousy dreary climate (But the Netherlands? N. Germany? Denmark? Belgium... all very similar)
- English language - it's easier to find work in the US/Australia etc than for a Frenchman?
- Culture - British people have long emigrated in search of a better life... it's deeply engrained...
- Crime? Housing?

I actually don't really have a straight answer.
That's what I'm thinking too. It can't be taxes, Britain's taxes are middle of the road compared to the rest of Europe. Climate? It can't be that, not only the countries you listed, but you don't hear the Nordics moving out of Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, and Finland do you? And their climate is "worse" than the UK's. Britain has lower unemployment than most other countries in the EU. I think it's down to culture, crime, housing, and career advancement. Besides the climate, when I read British expat forums, crime, cost and size of housing, schools, and careers seem to be at the top of the list.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:16 AM

14,834 posts, read 12,115,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
That's what I'm thinking too. It can't be taxes, Britain's taxes are middle of the road compared to the rest of Europe. Climate? It can't be that, not only the countries you listed, but you don't hear the Nordics moving out of Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, and Finland do you? And their climate is "worse" than the UK's. Britain has lower unemployment than most other countries in the EU. I think it's down to culture, crime, housing, and career advancement. Besides the climate, when I read British expat forums, crime, cost and size of housing, schools, and careers seem to be at the top of the list.
Does anybody actually know what the 'figures' are in 'other' modern industrialised nations!?? Or are we all just 'assuming' that the figures for the UK are actually vastly different from anywhere else??

Old 01-23-2013, 10:46 AM

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...3IDCezAky_YtbA

According to this, only New Zealand, Ireland and Luxembourg have a higher percentage of their highly-skilled citizens living abroad than the U.K.

At any rate, the rate in the U.K. is much much higher than our main competitors - France and Germany - and vastly more than the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom