Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 06:59 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,843,195 times

Advertisements

Telegraph is a fairly right-wing rag.

just Stooges of the Tories trying to score political points here.

if the UK is that bad, then why are so many immigrants desperate to get in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 12:09 PM

585 posts, read 1,088,457 times
Most (but not all) immigrants who move to a country do so with the intention of working hard and improving their lot. It's probable that In most cases, 'improving their lot' includes obtaining a better standard of living and making (and keeping) more money.

If you have large numbers of immigrants coming from impoverished countries in which wages and the standard of living are low, then they can 'improve their lot' significantly without improving the wealth of the host country by much.

Net migration figures are trumpeted widely. Separate figures for emigration and immigration are available, but are less widely publicised.

I've no doubt that somebody somewhere could tell you how many scientists, doctors, engineers, skilled tradesmen, entrepreneurs and job creators emigrated from the UK and how many immigrated to the UK.

I've no doubt that somebody could tell you how many people who were living on welfare payments emigrated from the UK and how many of those who arrived in the UK are living on welfare payments, too.

The 'Welfare payments' statistics would probably be a red herring. Most immigrants to the UK (and elsewhere) hope to enjoy a better life and are prepared to work to get it, but clear figures detailing the net losses and gains in skilled and highly-qualified personnel and in job creators would, IMO; make interesting reading.

Don't hold your breath while you wait for those figures to be published.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:16 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,612,139 times
People have always left, people will always leave, people will always go where they think they will find a higher quality of life, or where they are offered a better paying job, or where they think they will be able to pay less. It's how the world works, how it has always worked since the days of colonialism (and long before), and I like it. I would advise everyone to try and get a job abroad for at least a short period, it isn't hard to do within the EU and the experience is invaluable IMO.

Personally, I have no desires to leave the UK as I have a stable, decent-paying job, but if you believe that you can find a better life abroad, then by all means, go for it, the world is your oyster (if you have the correct skills, or can marry someone to achieve a green card).

Old 01-27-2013, 07:10 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,843,195 times
that's right - not much for me in the UK these days, which is why I emigrated 8 years ago.

best move for me, for sure

Old 01-28-2013, 10:38 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,302,509 times
Britons are in demand in most of the Middle East, much of Africa and parts of Asia. Because of their education and language, they can get very good jobs in the Commonwealth. It’s been that way for centuries. Empire or Commonwealth—it makes little difference. Expats have a great life: lots of money, status, and servants (none of which they could have a home). I work at lot in Africa and see them all the time.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:34 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,899,073 times
Rain. Number 1 reason.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britinparis View Post
My own reason for leaving was entirely based on work - I did not leave for any kind of lifestyle/climate/tax/quality of life reason. At any rate Paris is probably even more crowded and expensive as London is, taxes are even higher, and the weather's just a sh*t! Also I don't really consider it to be abroad, it's 2hrs20mins back to London by train, I pop back the whole time both for work and personal reasons. I really don't feel like I've actually "left" the UK.

At any rate I think the article highlights an interesting phenominum that isn't talked about enough.

Why does the UK, a developed, wealthy country with a high average income have the emigration rate more akin to a second-world, developing country?

Some ideas:

- Taxes too high? (but other countries eg France, Sweden, Belgium have even higher rates and no emigration problem..)
- Cost of living a problem? (in London, but other cities are actually some of Western Europe's cheapest)
- Unemployment? (actually, at ~8%, our rate is lower than both the US and the European average)
- Lousy dreary climate (But the Netherlands? N. Germany? Denmark? Belgium... all very similar)
- English language - it's easier to find work in the US/Australia etc than for a Frenchman?

- Culture - British people have long emigrated in search of a better life... it's deeply engrained...
- Crime? Housing?

I actually don't really have a straight answer.
Now dont be daft paris is abroad you idiot?!

Old 01-29-2013, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Does anybody actually know what the 'figures' are in 'other' modern industrialised nations!?? Or are we all just 'assuming' that the figures for the UK are actually vastly different from anywhere else??
Also the fact that the uk has a bigger population than those countries combined...

Old 01-29-2013, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Most of the Brits I have met in the US were engineers who could not get high-paying jobs in the UK. The common story I heard was engineers in the UK were not well compensated like bankers.
If you dont get 11a stars in your gcses and 4 as at a level you get nowhere. Im doing my a levels and according to my school (grammar) my life is already over as i did not get 11 a stars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom