Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 11:32 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,843,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Another reason I found, is a lot of Brits there are fed up with the chavery, poor school system, and immigrants (ironic).
I thought liberals liked chavs and immigrants!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 12:24 PM

16,701 posts, read 17,477,956 times
One major reason we moved back was for schooling.

My daughter took the entrance exam, whilst we were still in the US, for a grammar school a few miles away from where we live here, and was offered a place.

The school, which she has now left, was marvellous.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:48 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,161,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
You thought that did you? On your own? Without help? How clever of you.

We do have other political parties here you know or was the 'liberals' comment meant as a slur rather than a comment on the political leanings of some of the population? Regardless, might I recommend you get some help with your next 'thought'....

Old 01-23-2013, 01:56 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,843,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
You thought that did you? On your own? Without help? How clever of you.

We do have other political parties here you know or was the 'liberals' comment meant as a slur rather than a comment on the political leanings of some of the population? Regardless, might I recommend you get some help with your next 'thought'....

Definitely a slur against the snobbish fashionably atheist Oxbridge lefties that dominate on the UK forum.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:51 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,250,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Do your parents know you're on the Internet unsupervised?

Old 01-23-2013, 10:41 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,188,436 times
Well, to be fair now the UK gummint gives chavs and immigrants a fair bit of cash and doesn't seem to expect much in return, right?

I used to frequent a UK based motorcycle forum and a couple of the regulars did vote with their feet. Their perception, whether true or not, was that the UK was all too willing to reward immigrants, especially those from the middle east and the iron curtain states, with help and jobs in favour of those who were born and bred UK citizens. They may have been doing the jobs the British wouldn't do like our south of the border neighbors in the US but that didn't sit well with the folks who decided enough was enough. They quoted a rather startling 500K Brits leaving every year and you can't lose that many of the productive and still maintain a leadership role in the world.

The bride here is British and wild horses couldn't make her live in the UK again-I asked. Of course my plan was to spend the ragged remains of my 401k riding a Triumph Bonneville all over the rather loverly UK roads (motorcycle heaven despite the rain) and if things get stupid enough here one never knows. Her daughter did move back to the UK not quite 2 years ago and had a helluva time getting herself established again. It seems the authorities did everything they could to screw her out of the safety net that a UK citizen should expect. We suggested she start sporting a hijab.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:43 AM

554 posts, read 737,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
Well, to be fair now the UK gummint gives chavs and immigrants a fair bit of cash and doesn't seem to expect much in return, right?
Yes that's completely true. Every second Thursday, David Cameron and select members of the cabinet drive around the country throwing huge wads of cash at the most undeserving of the chavs. This practically unlimited Government support is why chavs are universally wealthy and live in the most up-market residential districts of the UK, leaving everyone else to flounder in oblivion. I mean there is lip-service paid to them having to apply for 8 jobs per week, and the vast fortune they get paid gets halved if they don't, but when you're on that much money would you really care about that?

As for immigrants, that's pretty much the same story. I mean the rules say that non-EU immigrants have no recourse to public funds and therefore get absolutely no financial of any kind, and that even immigrants from the new EU countries have to work full time in the UK for 2 years before becoming eligible for any form of means tested support. However that fact masks the non-financial benefits that we grant immigrants. For instance, as a British citizen I have to go to a public park every Friday night and assume the position, so that some nasty immigrants can have their wicked way with me in lieu of welfare benefits. I accept this deplorable state of affairs because I'm a lame-ass liberal and this is my calling in life.

Quote:
I used to frequent a UK based motorcycle forum and a couple of the regulars did vote with their feet. Their perception, whether true or not, was that the UK was all too willing to reward immigrants, especially those from the middle east and the iron curtain states, with help and jobs in favour of those who were born and bred UK citizens. They may have been doing the jobs the British wouldn't do like our south of the border neighbors in the US but that didn't sit well with the folks who decided enough was enough. They quoted a rather startling 500K Brits leaving every year and you can't lose that many of the productive and still maintain a leadership role in the world.
So true, we even have a hard time governing the country because no sooner is somebody elected than they emigrate forcing another round of elections.

Quote:
The bride here is British and wild horses couldn't make her live in the UK again-I asked. Of course my plan was to spend the ragged remains of my 401k riding a Triumph Bonneville all over the rather loverly UK roads (motorcycle heaven despite the rain) and if things get stupid enough here one never knows. Her daughter did move back to the UK not quite 2 years ago and had a helluva time getting herself established again. It seems the authorities did everything they could to screw her out of the safety net that a UK citizen should expect. We suggested she start sporting a hijab.
Oh yeah totally. Anyone with British parents should be able to show up in the UK and expect to be treated the same for social welfare purposes as some nasty little Mohammad follower who has lived and worked in the UK for their whole life. It's such a disgrace that this lovely young woman had a hard time claiming benefits here when she meets all the qualifying conditions of a white complexion and a mother with a British passport.

Eoin

Old 01-24-2013, 10:39 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,646,925 times
Most of the Brits I have met in the US were engineers who could not get high-paying jobs in the UK. The common story I heard was engineers in the UK were not well compensated like bankers.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:58 AM

10,540 posts, read 6,189,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinparis View Post
Emigration: Two million quit Britain in 'talent drain' - Telegraph

What do people reckon?

Why is Britain unique amoung advanced, industrialised rich nations in having such a high rate of emigration?

Is emigration an issue as big as immigration that needs to be talked about more?
Well I can give you my perspective (which is the reason we moved to the US) and that was the gradual decline in funding for scientific research and technology in the UK.
Unfortunately at the moment, the UK is not the best place to be if you are a scientist. My husband worked for Pfizer, who 2 years ago decided to pull out of the UK. I can tell you that the UK lost some of its most brilliant minds to the US after that decision. While the government were as shocked as anyone else and were not responsible for the decision, they briefly paid lip service to retaining some of the talent, but in the end they did nothing and about 5000 gifted scientists moved away.

Thankfully, this government seems to have seen the light and has recently pledged to invest an extra £600m in science and technology which is now being seen as key in stimuating growth in the economy. I hope this new investment makes a difference because I miss the UK and hope to return someday when prospects start to improve (well for my husband actually - he's the brainbox, not me ).

George Osborne pledges extra £600m for science to stimulate growth | Science | guardian.co.uk

Old 01-25-2013, 06:58 PM

768 posts, read 881,883 times
Who cares. We dont need big corporations. We should stick two fingers up at the lot of them.

Make the traitors hand in their passports. See how many leave then. Its all these hooray henry scumbags going to Dubai for some tax free income only to come back a few years later and sponge off the NHS. Dual citizenship should be illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom