Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 08:21 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,430,247 times
Brits like good cheap holidays which is how so many are now heading for Turkey with its hot weather, sandy beaches and all inclusive deals.
Back in the day Florida was the same, it was cheap, hot and all inclusive but since airfares to the US have skyrocketed as have the prices at Disney not so many look towards the US as a holiday destination. Recently a friend of mine from the UK went to Cuba on holiday, why? because it was cheap and hot and she got a great deal.

Those who still visit the US tend to be heading for California and Las Vegas, there will always be a few like the couple I met last year who transport their motorhome across the pond and take time to travel around and see the real America.

Before moving here I had only ever visited Florida and to be honest I wasn't really impressed, since immigrating I have lived in 2 states and visited countless others. I now live in beautiful N Michigan and are any of my friends or family at home interested in visiting ... Nooooooo !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 09:30 AM

490 posts, read 682,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Y'all should come check out Texas, especially San Antonio, Austin, and Fort Worth!
I've been to Texas twice before, and very nice it is too. Did all the obvious stuff like Dallas & FW, went to the Alamo, Austin & Corpus Chisti. I particularly remember Big Bend national park, beautiful scenery. Even saw a tarantula wandering across the road. It was bloody enormous. I swear I could hear it breathing.

Not so many Brits visit Texas it seems. Most head for Florida (no idea why, it's a dull destination) or California, which I love. It has pretty much everything a tourist could want from palm trees to snow, iconic cities and national parks galore. I love it there.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:55 AM

16,672 posts, read 17,437,937 times
Big Bend NP is wonderful and is one of my favourite parts of Texas. Here's part of the Rio Grande which forms the border with Mexico;

Old 08-08-2013, 10:04 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
To be fair, New England's weather is not the same as the UK's at all. It's much hotter in summer and more humid. Summers are subtropical in New England. Where I live we have tropical summers for 3 months of the year. When it comes to natural environment, the entire Northeast US is practically one huge deciduous "rain forest" where the forest density is extremely high. Brits rely too much on stereotypes when it comes to the US, thinking only the Gulf and Mexican border states are the only places to find hot weather. Now what you said about the inland US being not as developed as the coast, there is a lot of truth to that except for Chicago which has a skyline that rivals New York City's. But, I suppose it's the same when foreigners visit the UK. What like 3/4 of tourists to the UK only visit one place: London and mostly central London
So the North East US is 'sub-tropical'? lol, Ive heard everything now! Us Europeans do realise you know that it gets warm in the Summer - you might be suprised to learn that the same can be said of Northern Europe - temperatures in North Europe can easily get into the 30's (yes even in England) - I know the 'average' temperature in New England (in the Summer months) may be a little higher than they are in Europe however 'tropical' it is not :-)

Old 08-08-2013, 10:34 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
So the North East US is 'sub-tropical'? lol, Ive heard everything now! Us Europeans do realise you know that it gets warm in the Summer - you might be suprised to learn that the same can be said of Northern Europe - temperatures in North Europe can easily get into the 30's (yes even in England) - I know the 'average' temperature in New England (in the Summer months) may be a little higher than they are in Europe however 'tropical' it is not :-)
Easthome, we do get tropical summers up here. In other words, we're a part time tropical climate here, you can't get that anywhere in Europe. All of our hot, very humid air comes directly from the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico (the water there can get up to 32°C). When your summer temps are consistently around 30°C with dew points above 15°C all the time, that's tropical weather even if it's only for 2-3 months of the year. Summertime in my state is virtually no different from Florida or the Caribbean, that's the beauty of a hot continental climate vs western Europe's oceanic.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:01 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Actually the poster you're referring to is correct in southern New England the climates are Sub-Tropical. In the North and interior they're humid continental.

Getting "warm" isn't a real factor on whether a location is tropical or not... For example Rio Branco Brazil (in the Amazon Basin which is about the typical definition of tropical) has an average annual high of 33C, Wyoming has an average annual high at lower altitudes of 35C however it could not even be remotely considered tropical.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Actually the poster you're referring to is correct in southern New England the climates are Sub-Tropical. In the North and interior they're humid continental.

Getting "warm" isn't a real factor on whether a location is tropical or not... For example Rio Branco Brazil (in the Amazon Basin which is about the typical definition of tropical) has an average annual high of 33C, Wyoming has an average annual high at lower altitudes of 35C however it could not even be remotely considered tropical.
That's why I said the Northeast. Wyoming does not have tropical summers, it has semi-arid summers. That's why I specifically said the Northeast, even more specifically the parts of the Northeast that have a Dfa climate classification, and very few parts that are Cfa. Dfa and Cfa have part time tropical summers, Wyoming is BSk (cool semi-arid), no tropical characteristics whatsoever

Old 08-08-2013, 11:41 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Pennsylvania is not in the North east

Old 08-08-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Pennsylvania is not in the North east
You are wrong

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 08-08-2013 at 12:25 PM..

Old 08-08-2013, 12:41 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,881,792 times
NYC, LA, Miami, Vegas are top destinations for Europeans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom