Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 09:24 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times

Advertisements

I'll try. My favorite subject other than Yorkshire.

This is a little picture of the New Hampshire coast on rte 1A. After you are done with Boston, take rte 1A/1 --up the coast of MA and New Hampshire and into Maine. North of Boston is Salem which is a fun, trendy place with shops and cafes but it is also the site of the early witchcraft trials so there is an emphasis on that. My favorite place in Salem is the House of the Seven Gables, from the famous book--beautiful and on the sea.

If you head north on rte 1A/1 it gets rural and truly New Englandy. When you get to Ipswich (most of the towns are named after English towns and were settled in the 1600s) there is the Whipple House which is well worth a tour. Ipswich also has Crane's Beach, one of the best. If you have a chance, the area that reminds me the most of Old England is from Ipswich out on rte 133 to Cape Ann. Spectacular coastal scenery and the little town of Gloucester has the best beaches, oldest art colony, shopping. Rockport, at the end of the Cape is a lot of fun and very picturesque. People from all over the country come to Rockport and even when it's crowded in summer it's still fun walking around, eating fresh fish 'n' chips, ice cream, looking in the quaint shops, taking pictures. There are loads of B&Bs to stay at in Rockport and it's worth staying.

Back on rte 1/1A, keep heading north to Newburyport. Now you're in the early 1800s with beautiful sea captains' mansions furnished with antiques. A seaside park, more shops and cafes. Just a drive down their main St (Story Ave.) is worth it for the beautiful historic homes.

Rt 1/1A to New Hampshire and there are gorgeous sandy beaches with roses all over them on one side of the road and beautiful old mansions on the other side. Portsmouth, NH is a beautiful small city with a large waterfront park and gardens, lots of history, and in the summer they have outdoor theater in the park. The bridge goes right into the state of Maine. Kittery Maine has shopping outlets and further north are interesting towns like Kennebunkport and Bar Harbor and Ogunquit. This is the DownEast Maine that people always rave about--rocky coastline, artists, islands, boat tours, lobsters. If you can't stay forever (Maine: The Way Life is Supposed to Be) then I guess the best bet is to head south again on 1/1A.

Somehow you can get inland to Lexington and Concord for Revolutionary War history. Walden Pond where Henry David Thoreau escaped from civilization and wrote, is there and you can hike into it and see a replica of his cabin and swim in the pond. Nice day trip with picnic.

Of course there is also Cape Cod--the Cape, which is southeast of Boston but it's very crowded now in the summer. If you had the time though, it's worth seeing, at least the Brewster area, and taking a ferry out to Martha's Vineyard and staying overnight. It has wonderful beaches and shops but the Cape and even MV may be better in the fall without the crowds.

September is a perfect time to visit and avoid crowds and get good weather (unless a hurricane has its heart set on us). Very mellow. Not a time for beaches and swimming though as it is getting too cool. If you want fall foliage, it's mid October and inland. From the Lexington/Concord area you can take rte 2 West for foliage. A longish trip but very rural and colorful. A few hours west you come to rte 91 N/S and you would want to go to Deerfield, MA. There will be colorful foliage all around. The foliage is tricky and is only at its peak for a few days so it's easy to be too late. It's hilly around there and can look like this:

Take any road. Visit Historic Deerfield, an authentic street of 18th century homes, painstakingly cared for and furnished with period antiques. Each house costs admission but there is a great museum that I would not miss for anything. A door has the slash of an axe still in it from an infamous Indian raid in the early 18th C. They have a quality gift and book shop. Foliage will be everywhere. http://www.historic-deerfield.org/ If you are interested in history, antiques, decorative arts, early life, natural beauty, books, this could well be the best place in Massachusetts. It is not crowded and it is not touristy. For a foliage tour, this area is the best jumping off point. It is about 2 hours inland from Boston.

Take rte 91 straight up to Vermont--and just take any road for foliage. Avoid the Mohawk Trail (rte 2 West from Greenfield) for tourist traffic. Just go to any little town in Vermont, up into the mountains and look out at foliage. Buy Vermont made maple syrup, eat Vermont food. There are some really nice old covered bridges just off rte 91--they go from VT into NH. Vermont is for if you have time and are still early enough for more foliage--the foliage color travels north to south so depending upon where it is, you follow it! Vermont looks like Yorkshire. It's hard to not write a lot, I could write a whole book. Probably when you're done, take rte 91 south to the MassPike and then east back to Boston and the airport.

Last edited by in_newengland; 10-11-2013 at 10:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 10:35 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I'll try. My favorite subject other than Yorkshire.

This is a little picture of the New Hampshire coast on rte 1A. After you are done with Boston, take rte 1A/1 --up the coast of MA and New Hampshire and into Maine. North of Boston is Salem which is a fun, trendy place with shops and cafes but it is also the site of the early witchcraft trials so there is an emphasis on that. My favorite place in Salem is the House of the Seven Gables, from the famous book--beautiful and on the sea.

If you head north on rte 1A/1 it gets rural and truly New Englandy. When you get to Ipswich (most of the towns are named after English towns and were settled in the 1600s) there is the Whipple House which is well worth a tour. Ipswich also has Crane's Beach, one of the best. If you have a chance, the area that reminds me the most of Old England is from Ipswich out on rte 133 to Cape Ann. Spectacular coastal scenery and the little town of Gloucester has the best beaches, oldest art colony, shopping. Rockport, at the end of the Cape is a lot of fun and very picturesque. People from all over the country come to Rockport and even when it's crowded in summer it's still fun walking around, eating fresh fish 'n' chips, ice cream, looking in the quaint shops, taking pictures. There are loads of B&Bs to stay at in Rockport and it's worth staying.

Back on rte 1/1A, keep heading north to Newburyport. Now you're in the early 1800s with beautiful sea captains' mansions furnished with antiques. A seaside park, more shops and cafes. Just a drive down their main St (Story Ave.) is worth it for the beautiful historic homes.

Rt 1/1A to New Hampshire and there are gorgeous sandy beaches with roses all over them on one side of the road and beautiful old mansions on the other side. Portsmouth, NH is a beautiful small city with a large waterfront park and gardens, lots of history, and in the summer they have outdoor theater in the park. The bridge goes right into the state of Maine. Kittery Maine has shopping outlets and further north are interesting towns like Kennebunkport and Bar Harbor and Ogunquit. This is the DownEast Maine that people always rave about--rocky coastline, artists, islands, boat tours, lobsters. If you can't stay forever (Maine: The Way Life is Supposed to Be) then I guess the best bet is to head south again on 1/1A.

Somehow you can get inland to Lexington and Concord for Revolutionary War history. Walden Pond where Henry David Thoreau escaped from civilization and wrote, is there and you can hike into it and see a replica of his cabin and swim in the pond. Nice day trip with picnic.

Of course there is also Cape Cod--the Cape, which is southeast of Boston but it's very crowded now in the summer. If you had the time though, it's worth seeing, at least the Brewster area, and taking a ferry out to Martha's Vineyard and staying overnight. It has wonderful beaches and shops but the Cape and even MV may be better in the fall without the crowds.

September is a perfect time to visit and avoid crowds and get good weather (unless a hurricane has its heart set on us). Very mellow. Not a time for beaches and swimming though as it is getting too cool. If you want fall foliage, it's mid October and inland. From the Lexington/Concord area you can take rte 2 West for foliage. A longish trip but very rural and colorful. A few hours west you come to rte 91 N/S and you would want to go to Deerfield, MA. There will be colorful foliage all around. The foliage is tricky and is only at its peak for a few days so it's easy to be too late. It's hilly around there and can look like this:

Take any road. Visit Historic Deerfield, an authentic street of 18th century homes, painstakingly cared for and furnished with period antiques. Each house costs admission but there is a great museum that I would not miss for anything. A door has the slash of an axe still in it from an infamous Indian raid in the early 18th. They have a quality gift and book shop. Foliage will be everywhere.

Take rte 91 straight up to Vermont--and just take any road for foliage. Avoid the Mohawk Trail (rte 2 from Greenfield) for tourist traffic. Just go to any little town in Vermont, up into the mountains and look out at foliage. Buy Vermont made maple syrup, eat Vermont food. There are some really nice old covered bridges just off rte 91--they go from VT into NH. Vermont is for if you have time and are still early enough for more foliage--the foliage color travels north to south so depending upon where it is, you follow it! Vermont looks like Yorkshire. It's hard to not write a lot, I could write a whole book. Probably when you're done, take rte 91 south to the MassPike and then east back to Boston and the airport.
Oh my gosh, I want to go RIGHT NOW! I really can't wait. So much history and so much beauty!

Old 10-11-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh my gosh, I want to go RIGHT NOW! I really can't wait. So much history and so much beauty!
It is nice here but I used to hate it. I guess that's human nature. Too old fashioned, too boring. I didn't appreciate it. I wanted to live ANYWHERE ELSE. I think you'd need a few weeks (at least) to do the things I mentioned. Driving is the best way because you need to get off the beaten path.

Lately I've been falling in love with the salt marsh around here, or as it was known, "Ye Great Marsh." Parts look like Norfolk in England. People who are interested in birding really have it made around here--there's Plum Island and people come from all over.

I hope you can get out here one of these days and take a tour.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:07 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:

The second photo looks like a scene I pass every other bike ride. Couldn't get an exact photo match, but I'm very certain I know exactly where that is and it's very close to the first few photos I'm posting [by me].

Quote:
Vermont looks like Yorkshire. It's hard to not write a lot, I could write a whole book. Probably when you're done, take rte 91 south to the MassPike and then east back to Boston and the airport.
I don't understand how they look anything in common? Isn't Yorkshire mostly deforested while Vermont close to its natural forest cover?

Old 10-11-2013, 06:00 PM

in_newengland--Vermont looks like Yorkshire. It's hard to not write a lot, I could write a whole book. Probably when you're done, take rte 91 south to the MassPike and then east back to Boston and the airport.
------------------------------------------------------
nei--I don't understand how they look anything in common? Isn't Yorkshire mostly deforested while Vermont close to its natural forest cover?

Yorkshire resembles Vermont in the meadows and dairy farms. Vast views of green. I don't think I have any pictures but the land slants like it does in Yorkshire. You also get the same stone walls. You get wooden barns of course instead of stone. But you get the little villages and the enormous farms, miles of open hilly greenery. It isn't all forest.

I can't place where you live! It looks sort of like where I come from but you are more to the north? and the west? Franklin County? That river isn't the CT, it's the...........?

The little photo I took with the red barn? and a few trees was in Westhampton.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:19 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:

Yorkshire resembles Vermont in the meadows and dairy farms. Vast views of green. I don't think I have any pictures but the land slants like it does in Yorkshire. You also get the same stone walls. You get wooden barns of course instead of stone. But you get the little villages and the enormous farms, miles of open hilly greenery. It isn't all forest.
Hmm. I still think I'd find Yorkshire very different with the lack of forest. The English and Welsh countryside seemed very different from home (all the trees gone!)

Quote:
I can't place where you live! It looks sort of like where I come from but you are more to the north? and the west? Franklin County? That river isn't the CT, it's the...........?

The little photo I took with the red barn? and a few trees was in Westhampton.
ah. No wonder I couldn't get a match. This might be closer (I think it's Westhampton).

and in Easthampton, a reminder New England isn't all cutsey:

I always imagined the old mill buildings and towns of New England seem rather similar to England, far more than the countryside.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:46 PM

That first one looks like either Westhampton or Southampton. There is wonderful fall foliage in Southampton, if I remember correctly. Yes, so many old mill towns. Leeds, part of Northampton was actually named after THE Leeds. And out here in EMass there is a place called Bradford and it's a mini Bradford. Some horrible places like Lawrence but every once in a while someone converts an old mill building into something interesting like offices or condos.

You must be an avid photographer! You have pictures of everything.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:14 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
I found the Yorkshire Dales to have a lot more trees than the Yorkshire Moors. Here are some photos of the Yorkshire Dales - I can see how someone would think they look like parts of New England.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:09 AM

16,674 posts, read 17,440,619 times
I used to mess about in that river, just where you have photographed,when I was a kid!

Old 10-13-2013, 08:09 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,026,672 times
The White Mountains area in New Hampshire reminded me of parts of the Scottish Highlands. Of course, it is basically the same very ancient mountain range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom