Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 07:28 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,430,778 times

Advertisements

Arizona is very doable in the winter, we visited late January / February a couple of years ago and the temps around Pheonix were in the 70s. It did snow at the grand canyon but still temps were in the 40s and the snow only lasted a couple of hours.

Also all this scare mongering about snow, we had friends who made a point in visiting us in Alaska during the winter, they had few problems with the cold, instead of buying bulky winter coats they layered and did very well, even walking around Anchorage for Fur Rondy in -20F. As visitors dealing with shovelling snow wasn't their problem although they did have a laugh that the car rental company provided a snow brush which came in handy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 07:37 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
Arizona is very doable in the winter, we visited late January / February a couple of years ago and the temps around Pheonix were in the 70s. It did snow at the grand canyon but still temps were in the 40s and the snow only lasted a couple of hours.

Also all this scare mongering about snow, we had friends who made a point in visiting us in Alaska during the winter, they had few problems with the cold, instead of buying bulky winter coats they layered and did very well, even walking around Anchorage for Fur Rondy in -20F. As visitors dealing with shovelling snow wasn't their problem although they did have a laugh that the car rental company provided a snow brush which came in handy.
I would visit Alaska in the winter, just to experience it and see the Northern Lights. I read that the peak viewing season for the Aurora Borealis is dead of winter.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:43 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,430,778 times
Katygirl, aurora in Alaska is really only viewable between September and April/May and it has a tendency to show up when the night is coldest (between 1am and 3am). We would go out aurora watching with flasks of coffee and sleeping bags along with our winter togs to keep warm. Another problem is if you are trying to photograph it you camera batteries freeze and die very quickly so extras kept in a warm pocket are a must.
Right now the sun is going through a magnetic reversal so aurora levels are high and it can be seen from most of the northern states.

Seeing really is believing ... it is magnificent !

Old 09-27-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britinparis View Post
Depends on the person.

For young hungry job seekers, I'd say New York City or California for the opportunities. Particularly in the tech sector and science - California is streaks ahead of the UK for work opportunities. NYC is for pretty much anything and is seen as the natural place to go if you've done London! Conversely not many British job seekers are alive to the opportunities that may be available in the mid west or Texas. Most of us tend to think of the US as being a big conservative backwater surrounded by two extremely affluent and advanced coasts - whereas I know the reality is somewhat more complicated!

For holidays and travel experiences, I'd say most would be interested in visiting those areas that have a climate and natural environment that is most unlike Britain - so Florida, southern California, Las Vegas/Nevada, perhaps the Rocky Mountains. New England or the Pacific Northwest would not feature so heavily - why spend £700 on a flight to get the same crappy weather as you get at home?
I live in Houston, which is probably the energy capital of the world. I meet people from the UK all the time (and just about every other country in the world). BP has a very large office building here, employing many people from the UK and the Houston area. No one ever thinks of Houston as a tourist destination, but most people who live here understand the appeal. It's one of those places where you have to live here to understand it.

I had a friend who moved here from England back in the '80s, and his school chums came for a month-long visit. They were the absolute craziest, most fun people I've ever met. I believe their visit was very positive.

Now, if I was in the UK planning a trip to our country, I would probably choose to go to California or one of those driving tours through all the western states. Houston would be the last place on my mind. But if you do want to go on a weeks-long driving tour of the country, I would hit at least one destination in Texas because it is worth seeing. Make it the Hill Country in Central Texas (Austin, San Antonio, Fredericksburg, New Braunfels).

Old 09-27-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
Katygirl, aurora in Alaska is really only viewable between September and April/May and it has a tendency to show up when the night is coldest (between 1am and 3am). We would go out aurora watching with flasks of coffee and sleeping bags along with our winter togs to keep warm. Another problem is if you are trying to photograph it you camera batteries freeze and die very quickly so extras kept in a warm pocket are a must.
Right now the sun is going through a magnetic reversal so aurora levels are high and it can be seen from most of the northern states.

Seeing really is believing ... it is magnificent !
I would love to see that! I need to plan a trip. I knew someone who did that trip and said with his winter togs on he felt the same as if he was sitting on a beach in Grand Cayman.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:13 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I live in Houston, which is probably the energy capital of the world. I meet people from the UK all the time (and just about every other country in the world). BP has a very large office building here, employing many people from the UK and the Houston area. No one ever thinks of Houston as a tourist destination, but most people who live here understand the appeal. It's one of those places where you have to live here to understand it.

I had a friend who moved here from England back in the '80s, and his school chums came for a month-long visit. They were the absolute craziest, most fun people I've ever met. I believe their visit was very positive.

Now, if I was in the UK planning a trip to our country, I would probably choose to go to California or one of those driving tours through all the western states. Houston would be the last place on my mind. But if you do want to go on a weeks-long driving tour of the country, I would hit at least one destination in Texas because it is worth seeing. Make it the Hill Country in Central Texas (Austin, San Antonio, Fredericksburg, New Braunfels).

I totally agree!

To me, Austin, San Antonio, Houston and Fort Worth are all great Texas destinations. No other place on earth is quite like Texas.

Come in the spring or late fall though! Summer is hotter than Hades and though it doesn't bother me in the least, I think it would bother someone not used to this sort of heat. Winter is not bad at all, but spring and fall are by far the most beautiful seasons in Texas.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:19 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
The one time that I had the opportunity to see almost all of the US I decided that for scenery it's the west hands down. For living and coziness, it's the northeast.

The most amazing scenery was in the national parks. Yellowstone--I could have stayed a week it was so interesting and beautiful. Also Zion in Utah with all the weird rock formations. The Florida everglades were interesting and the Great Smokey National park around Tennessee? was amazing. I never saw the Pacific northwest.

But as I got to the northeast the scenery was pretty and green, the way the English countryside is pretty and green. It was a quiet sort of scenery. I couldn't live in the Everglades or Yellowstone! But New England has a hominess and old fashioned charm that makes it really livable despite the climate. And, of course, Autumn here is pretty much to die for.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:09 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,026,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
It does snow here you know.
Nothing like the snow we get here in western Pennsylvania. Not even close.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:14 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
It does snow here you know.
Where? On that hill behind your house that nobody lives on?

Old 10-02-2013, 02:38 PM

16,674 posts, read 17,440,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post

I've lived in Houston and it is not a tourist destination, despite the Johnson Space Center, or even Galveston.

I echo your views on the Hill Country- I love that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom