Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 08:16 PM

2,074 posts, read 2,168,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
The Blackpool Illuminations will be on at that time.
I read about that. Looks like a lot of fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 08:50 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,768,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
It's pretty good although everyone said it isn't as good as it used to be.

I wish I still had that picture of the food that I ate on the way to Blackpool. It was warm that year and we ate outside. They bought that gorgeous food out to us. I miss English food.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:41 PM

2,074 posts, read 2,168,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It's pretty good although everyone said it isn't as good as it used to be.

I wish I still had that picture of the food that I ate on the way to Blackpool. It was warm that year and we ate outside. They bought that gorgeous food out to us. I miss English food.
What year were you there? Nobody I know has been to Blackpool, but to other parts of England and Ireland as well and I'm getting so many reports that people are so nice and friendly.

That's good to know about the food. When in doubt, I can always find a McDonald's somewhere in the country... just kidding. Oh my gosh, I just found three Mickey D's in Blackpool! Now I know I'll feel right at home.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
What year were you there? Nobody I know has been to Blackpool, but to other parts of England and Ireland as well and I'm getting so many reports that people are so nice and friendly.

That's good to know about the food. When in doubt, I can always find a McDonald's somewhere in the country... just kidding. Oh my gosh, I just found three Mickey D's in Blackpool! Now I know I'll feel right at home.

It's been about 6 years now, much too long but my wallet is too thin. Their local little home style eateries are wonderful. Not the chains--they're as bad as they are here. They have a lot of Indian food, curries, but they also still have good old fish'n'chips and meat pies. Yorkshire pudding. I don't remember what I had that day on the road to Blackpool but it was great, maybe just a chicken pot pie or something, but it was homemade. A humble little place that my dh knew about. I actually took a picture of the food. And their pastries are to die for if you get real ones, not from a chain. From a real bakery.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:14 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,445,730 times
Quote:
Blackpool promenade will be brightly lit at night with the illuminations while you are there. Plenty of good fish and chips to be had. Literally hundreds of old pubs in the backstreets. The McDonald's on the seafront is where President Clinton and movie star Kevin Spacey called in for a burger, so you'll feel right at home.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:00 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,401,211 times
Why Blackpool? Yucky Brighton's better...

Old 09-30-2013, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Blackpool promenade will be brightly lit at night with the illuminations while you are there. Plenty of good fish and chips to be had. Literally hundreds of old pubs in the backstreets. The McDonald's on the seafront is where President Clinton and movie star Kevin Spacey called in for a burger, so you'll feel right at home.
Arrrgh, don't let all that great English food go to waste be eating in McDonald's. Even President Clinton doesn't eat there anymore. He's gone vegetarian due to heart problems from eating that kind of junk.

Blackpool is fun, illuminations are fun.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:43 AM

326 posts, read 1,042,554 times
Blackpool - like the rest of the UK and northwest Europe - has a temperate oceanic climate (Koppen: Cfb) - which means it has generally mild but extremely changeable and unpredictable weather year round. It is a very different type of climate to the four-season defined climate experienced in much of the eastern and middle US and Canada, or central Europe. Unlike in these areas, it is very difficult in temperate oceanic climate zones to predict what the weather will be like in any given month. It varies drastically from year to year, and indeed from week to week or even day to day within a month.

Blackpool is in northwest England which has probably one of the most extreme versions of this climate. Southern and eastern England are slightly more "continental" with more reliable warm/dry spells and less precipitation. October in Blackpool will likely feature highs of anywhere between 7 and 15C (45-60F) but it is possible for it to be even warmer or slightly cooler. It could be miserably wet and grim or wonderfully sunny and surprisingly warm. It could be dry and cloudy but cool, it could be warmish and cloudy. It will most likely a combination of all of these - perhaps all in one day! Early October could be cooler than late October.

At the moment it seems like Blackpool is pretty warm (17C), but cloudy. They'll be a bit of rain tomorrow, but it'll be even warmer (18C). Friday is similar - but then it turns drier and sunnier towards the weekend but cooler. So very typical British weather - this could be any week from March to October really. And it is not set in stone - the Atlantic weather fronts could change drammatically and the forecast could be completely wrong!

Conclusion: pack for all seasons and expect the worst, and in all liklihood, you'll be pleasantly surprised at how nice it can be :-)

Old 10-02-2013, 08:30 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,401,211 times
Drizzle and strong winds...

Old 10-02-2013, 08:44 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,445,730 times
Breezy for sure. Or how we like to describe it - 'bracing.....'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom