Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 03:54 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,026,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
If you live where I live there is hardly anyone of British background. In this state people are of Irish or Italian extraction mostly. We were settled by the British but that was early on and those people moved west or a few (like my family stayed around) but there have been huge waves if immigrants.
I understand Utah has the highest concentration of English Americans. Aren't a lot of New Englanders descended from Irish, Italians and French and more recently Portuguese?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 05:30 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by non-creep View Post
I understand Utah has the highest concentration of English Americans. Aren't a lot of New Englanders descended from Irish, Italians and French and more recently Portuguese?
Yes, New Englanders had a huge influx of Irish and Italians to work in the mills in the late 1800s but we're got at least one of everything, I think. We've got Portuguese fishermen, not too recently that I know of. We had Dutch back in the 1700s when they had colonies over here. We have Germans, we have French. We have a lot of French Canadians who came here to work in the mils. We have Polish people who worked in mills and on farms.

If you want to find people of English ancestry in New England you need to go up to New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine where the early settlers migrated and stayed. They were far enough away from the ports of Boston and NY that they didn't get the influx of 19C immigrants. In the northern parts of those states people speak French because they are near Quebec (settled by the French, of course.)

Old 10-27-2013, 02:48 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
All I can tell you is that a TON of UK residents have participated in the 23andme DNA testing program - and I just don't think they're strictly interested in the health information.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:50 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
That doesn't mean that British people have the same degree of interest in their ancestry as Americans, or identify with their ancestry in the same vain that Americans do - because we don't. At all. Take it from a person who lives in the United Kingdom - British people do not identify themselves by their ancestral roots. There's no point. Simply wanting to know where your ancestors came from does not equate to being obsessed with your ancestors or whatever country they come from. For example, I'd be quite interested in knowing where my mother's side of the family comes from (my father's side comes from Jamaica) - it's likely to be Ireland or Scotland. However, I have no affiliation with either place, and certainly not Jamaica, and I can live without that information, since it isn't vital or necessary, and if I ever find out, it won't be part of my identity, and I won't go around telling people that I'm Irish or Irish-British - that would be ridiculous, and you'd get a lot of funny looks. Unless you were born elsewhere, you're either British or English/Welsh/(Northern)Irish/Scottish, and nothing else.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 10-27-2013 at 02:59 PM..

Old 10-27-2013, 03:32 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Yes we do have a high degree in interest in our family heritage. I have been doing my tree for five years now on and off.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:05 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
The British have a huge interest in their ancestral heritage. Even if you simply judge it by the sheer number of family history fairs and your family history magazines. Go to a website called GENUKI if you want any more examples.

I don't think we have much to compare over here and I've never even heard of a family history fair in the US. A lot of people on both sides are members of Ancestry and I can tell you from personal experience that the English get just as excited at finding a new "cousin" as the Americans do.

What you don't have are the hyphenated (ancestries?) and that's probably because your families have been there for eons. Ours haven't. Many of us still remember. In the UK even if the immigrant is recent enough to remember they'd probably feel silly calling themselves by both nationalities because nobody else does.

Here, so many do it that it's not considered silly -- not to us anyway. We know what we mean.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:10 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Quote:

What you don't have are the hyphenated (ancestries?) and that's probably because your families have been there for eons. Ours haven't. Many of us still remember. In the UK even if the immigrant is recent enough to remember they'd probably feel silly calling themselves by both nationalities because nobody else does.
Quite. That's the point I was making above - more or less.

I've yet to meet a person who is so interested that they'd consider telling me about their ancestry, or that they have recently discovered they are descendents of a Norse tribe, though. And if they did, I wouldn't be interested. It's certainly not something that crops up - at least, not amongst the people I know, but of course I realise my friends and acquaintances are not representative of everyone in Britain.

I have heard some people making statements such as 'my last name is Scandinavian!' in the past however.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:15 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,960 times
I have really enjoyed finding out about my ancestors i am not obsessed with it but it has been quite enlightening. There is an Irish, Scottish and Jewish link but too far in the past to be anything other than that. I'd say it has become more popular to find out about your family due to the easy access of records, it used to cost a lot of money to do that.
Many Tasmanians go into it due to the many Convicts that were transported here, they love to tell everyone about there ancestral roots. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:03 PM

44 posts, read 73,863 times
Quote:
Yes, New Englanders had a huge influx of Irish and Italians to work in the mills in the late 1800s but we're got at least one of everything, I think. We've got Portuguese fishermen, not too recently that I know of. We had Dutch back in the 1700s when they had colonies over here. We have Germans, we have French. We have a lot of French Canadians who came here to work in the mils. We have Polish people who worked in mills and on farms.

If you want to find people of English ancestry in New England you need to go up to New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine where the early settlers migrated and stayed. They were far enough away from the ports of Boston and NY that they didn't get the influx of 19C immigrants. In the northern parts of those states people speak French because they are near Quebec (settled by the French, of course.)
Top 5 ethnicities:

Connecticut

19.3% Italian
17.9% Irish
10.7% English (384,172 ppl)
10.4% German
8.6% Polish

-- In 1980 there were, 594,726 English Americans - 2nd only to Irish Americans.

Massachusetts

23.8% Irish
14.2% Italian
11.8% English (772,624 ppl)
8.7% French
7.0% American

-- In 1980 there were, 1,208,652 English Americans - 2nd only to Irish Americans.

Rhode Island

19.0% Italian
18.3% Irish
12.1% English (127,086 ppl)
8.2% Portuguese
8.0% French

-- In 1980 there were, 194,386 English Americans - 2nd only to Irish Americans.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:13 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Quite. That's the point I was making above - more or less.

I've yet to meet a person who is so interested that they'd consider telling me about their ancestry, or that they have recently discovered they are descendents of a Norse tribe, though. And if they did, I wouldn't be interested. It's certainly not something that crops up - at least, not amongst the people I know, but of course I realise my friends and acquaintances are not representative of everyone in Britain.

I have heard some people making statements such as 'my last name is Scandinavian!' in the past however.
Well, in the 8 years I've lived in the UK, I've come across many people who talk about their ancestry. Granted, they don't talk about being descended from Norse tribes but that's because it's impossible to trace back that far without DNA. We're kind of talking about two different things here - the OP is talking about ancestry which can only be determined with DNA, which is not as popular in the UK as it is in the US. However, that does not mean traditional genealogy is not as popular.

The fact that you admittedly would not be interested if people talked to you about their ancestry is possibly a large part of why people don't talk to you about their ancestry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom