Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 05:21 PM

824 posts, read 3,610,081 times

Advertisements

I think there is a similarity about how many british and American proplr see their own ancestry opposed to Continental Europeans. For example Brits often look how much Norman, viking, anglo-saxon, etc ancestry they have, the same way americans claim their british, Irish, German, italian ancestries over and over.

Other people like french, dutch, germans, never speak about ancestry in that way and only consider themselves ethnic-french, german and dutch respectively.

Does someone agree with that? I think the anglospheric world have a very different view of ancestry and race compared to the rest of the world (specially compared to Europe).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 05:41 PM

14,822 posts, read 12,060,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
I think there is a similarity about how many british and American proplr see their own ancestry opposed to Continental Europeans. For example Brits often look how much Norman, viking, anglo-saxon, etc ancestry they have, the same way americans claim their british, Irish, German, italian ancestries over and over.

Other people like french, dutch, germans, never speak about ancestry in that way and only consider themselves ethnic-french, german and dutch respectively.

Does someone agree with that? I think the anglospheric world have a very different view of ancestry and race compared to the rest of the world (specially compared to Europe).
Actually I disagree - most Britain's have ancestry from somewhere other than Britain but Britain's wouldn't dream of actually considering themselves as something other than.........well British! ie black Britain's don't call themselves 'African British' anybody British called O'Leary don't call themselves 'Irish British', I think this attitude is very different to the American one - I am not saying either attitude is right or wrong but just definitely different.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:45 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,626,124 times
That isn't true. I don't care much about my ancestry, and know nobody who does. If someone has, say, Pakistani or Jamaican parents, they may associate with Jamaica or Pakistan, but they would still be more likely to call themselves British above all else. I've actually never met anyone - regardless of their ancestry - who calls themselves 'Irish' because they have Irish ancestry, or Jamaican because they have Jamaican ancestry. Heck, I have both, but it isn't relevant to me. I am British. The whole idea is completely bizarre to me.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:50 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,481,466 times
I think it is more an American thing and doesn't seem to happen in other countries. Even in Australia people usually call themselves Australian especially if born here. Irish-Australian or Italian-Australian is not much used here in my experience.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:44 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,032,671 times
As the others have noted, the obsession with ancestry is a very American thing. Probably due to being a fairly modern immigrant society.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:32 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,729,081 times
It seems pretty obvious that they don't. For instance at the very least 10% of Britons are of Irish ancestry but only about 1% of the population answers "white Irish" on the census for the ethnicity question.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:51 PM

What about the Use of the term "White" in UK and the US, UK census use the word "white british", and the US uses the term "white american". Nowhere in continental europe people use "white french" or "white german" etc, they just recognize "ethnic german", "ethnic dutch", "ethnic french" ,etc. The use of labels such as "white" or "white people" is definitely an anglospheric term, I have never met an european who called himself white or considered this or that white or non-white, they just care of their nationality, unlilke Americans and to lesser extent brits.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:52 PM

5,062 posts, read 7,515,273 times
Quote:

Is think it's almost entirely a USA thing.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Is think it's almost entirely a USA thing.
Brits also Emphasize about their norman, viking and anglo-saxon ancestry, the same way americans emphasize how much british and specially germand and Irish they are (the most overstated ethnicities by far).

Many brits cant simply say they are english, scottish or welsh without having to mention they think they have important norman, viking, etc ancestry. The same way can be said by americans claiming certain nationalities they are not.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:55 AM

5,062 posts, read 7,515,273 times
Quote:
Brits also Emphasize about their norman, viking and anglo-saxon ancestry, the same way americans emphasize how much british and specially germand and Irish they are (the most overstated ethnicities by far).

Many brits cant simply say they are english, scottish or welsh without having to mention they think they have important norman, viking, etc ancestry. The same way can be said by americans claiming certain nationalities they are not.
Well I am half English (my mum was born in England) and lived in the country for a number of years, I could be entirely wrong but never have i heard a Brit talking about their Viking or Norman Ancestry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom