Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 07:01 AM

994 posts, read 1,237,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post
Of the three biggest newspapers in Britain (Times, Telegraph and Guardian) the Telegraph has the largest readership by a decent margin.
The largest print circulation/readership. Here is a list of newspapers in the UK by total combined readership (print and digital):

UK newspapers ranked by total readership (print and online) | Press Gazette

This is the more relevant metric to asses a paper's influence - though of course, most are still struggling to make money from their online readers.

The fact that the Telegraph sells 2.5 times as many physical papers as the Guardian but has a lower total readership must tell us something about the demographic of its audience - or maybe just that their keyboards are all gummed up with stilton crumbs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blue Sky View Post
Interesting.

I tend to read the The Independent when at a UK airport if I can't get Le Monde or Le Figaro.

I read newspapers regularly (sadly) although not really to be informed, more just to pass the time. I don't find them, on the whole, to be a particularly good source of unbiased news. Looking through Internet news sites I tend to think of as more reliable as it's easier to find different views and opinions of the same story. Easier to find supporting evidence of accuracy.

Unless i'm able to verify information via different sources i'm inclined to treat all news media with a degree of scepticism.
Ah yes, the Indy. Preserve of bolshy liberal over-educated under-achievers who are upset with most aspects of the status quo but don't have the guts to adopt a proper radical politics

Old 11-27-2013, 07:31 AM

586 posts, read 831,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George & Bill View Post
Ah yes, the Indy. Preserve of bolshy liberal over-educated under-achievers who are upset with most aspects of the status quo but don't have the guts to adopt a proper radical politics

Also interesting.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:13 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,448,825 times
It does make one wonder what percentage of the papers' online viewership is from overseas? The Guardian is pretty popular among Europeans and Americans wanting to read a British newspaper. The Telegraph has always been much more localized which isn't surprising given it's euroskeptic viewpoint. In the early days of online papers the Times used to be read by many overseas readers but they were the first of the major newspapers (still the only one?) to charge for online access and that probably explains their currently very low media readership levels. I used to read the Times for free but once the charges came in I stopped.

I would not at all be surprised if you restricted the online readership numbers to viewers solely within the UK the Guardian's numbers would drop considerably.

Quote:
The largest print circulation/readership. Here is a list of newspapers in the UK by total combined readership (print and digital):

UK newspapers ranked by total readership (print and online) | Press Gazette

This is the more relevant metric to asses a paper's influence - though of course, most are still struggling to make money from their online readers.

The fact that the Telegraph sells 2.5 times as many physical papers as the Guardian but has a lower total readership must tell us something about the demographic of its audience - or maybe just that their keyboards are all gummed up with stilton crumbs

Old 11-27-2013, 08:15 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,448,825 times
By the way, I've frequently enjoy the warm hospitality of very good friends (and their friends) in the UK who are quite liberal, read the Guardian and yes, enjoy their port and stilton as much as anyone. Perhaps your stereotype is a bit out of date?

Quote:
- or maybe just that their keyboards are all gummed up with stilton crumbs

Old 11-27-2013, 09:57 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
Quote:
Both the DT and Guardian are rather tongue in cheek with their readership, which causes others to find the papers sanctimonious if they don't adhere to the general outlook of the respective paper.
This is a good description. As an American I find the slant of both publications to be jarring. I know it’s impossible for any newspaper to completely unbiased, but it becomes tedious when it’s so obvious and pervasive.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:50 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
I usually check the Telegraph's live 'crisis' blog if I want to know what's happening with the economy, but that's out of habit. I'm not a raving lunatic, or anything. Seriously.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:07 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,243,413 times
I'd go with the Times as its a littke more 'balanced' than the DT. The DT is also starting to feature some American style hard right wing pundits. I would read the Times or the Guardian when living in the UK.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:09 PM

51 posts, read 59,484 times
So is The Times still considered to be the more prestigious paper of the bunch?

Old 11-27-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
By the way, I've frequently enjoy the warm hospitality of very good friends (and their friends) in the UK who are quite liberal, read the Guardian and yes, enjoy their port and stilton as much as anyone. Perhaps your stereotype is a bit out of date?
No I don't think it's out of date. I also like port and stilton and am far more left-wing than anyone who regularly writes for the Guardian. That doesn't mean that the 'port and stilton' image doesn't perfectly encapsulate the sort of fusty old Tories who read the Telegraph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom