Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 03:28 PM

479 posts, read 1,442,709 times

Advertisements

So what areas in Britain do most of the Muslim population live?

Muslim population 'rising 10 times faster than rest of society'

Old 02-10-2009, 09:05 AM

49 posts, read 136,958 times
Muslims do not have supernatural powers: the bulk of Muslim populations are where the work is: like all immigrant communities they go to where the jobs are: all major cities have muslim populations. Look at the cities that are getting richer: that is where the "new" muslims will be. The poor areas will full of the stupid and the red neck.
Having checked the figures: this is an alarmist article: muslims make up less than 5% of the population. Smaller populations show bigger fluctuations. According to the census imformation at current growth rates the majority religion in England in 50 years will be...............Jedi Knight

Last edited by Awesomegenius; 02-10-2009 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: extra research.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:48 AM

33 posts, read 92,326 times
not really that surprising given that Islam is the fastest-growing religion in the world anyway.

The Jedi Knight thing just goes to show how stupid those census forms really are. I was deliberately a jerk last time i filled one in (this was 4 or 5 years ago) because for all of those ethinicity and religion questions I just wrote "Person" or "Human Being"

Old 02-15-2009, 11:26 AM

10 posts, read 33,817 times
Reading this article has left me incredibly depressed.

They tend to live in urban areas, mainly the inner cities although a number of small industrial northern towns such as Burnley, Bradford, Blackburn and Oldham have a high percentage of moslems. There were in 2001 around 1.5 million of them - or around 3% of the population. Now there are nearly 3 million of them.

In the areas they do live increasing number of non-moslems are leaving and parts of the east end of London and central Birmingham are increasingly becoming Islamic ghettos / no go areas for non moslems. How do i know this? I lived in Tower Hamlets until 3 months ago, and after being harrassed and racially abused (for being white and a non-moslem) by a group of young Bangladeshi's decided to get out before i was carried out in a wooden box. Of course this isn't only the UK - this is a Europewide problem and in Holland / Belgium and France the friction is even worse (remember the riots in France a few years ago - what the media did not report was that the rioters were almost exclusively moslems - i was visiting a friend in Paris at the time). Anyway, i don't want to rant - enough to say i am very concerned about the increasing influence this religion is having in Europe, and worry very much for the future.

Anyway, here are a few maps which may answer your question.

Map of Birmingham showing various religious groups, and where they are concentrated:

Map of London showing the concentration of Moslems at the 2001 census. Around 40% of Moslems in England live in London:

And a map of England showing the percentage of Moslems in each district:

A

Last edited by Londonmeerkat; 02-15-2009 at 11:35 AM..

Old 02-15-2009, 12:43 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,114,944 times
Have you got one for Scotland? Would be interesting to see.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:53 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,308,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekitor View Post
So what areas in Britain do most of the Muslim population live?

Muslim population 'rising 10 times faster than rest of society'
Mainly in the inner cities where they form ghettos.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:23 AM

183 posts, read 396,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Have you got one for Scotland? Would be interesting to see.
I don't think Scotland really has a large amount of muslims in the one place, especially compared to the north of England. Is it Pollokshaws or Pollokshields in Glasgow that has had a muslim community for years? Thats the only community I can think of.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:15 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,789,472 times
Just curious, who or what policy lets this happen. England is an awfully small island. I'd have thought they'd have essentially shut the doors ages ago?

Old 02-16-2009, 08:02 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,241,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonmeerkat View Post
Reading this article has left me incredibly depressed.

They tend to live in urban areas, mainly the inner cities although a number of small industrial northern towns such as Burnley, Bradford, Blackburn and Oldham have a high percentage of moslems. There were in 2001 around 1.5 million of them - or around 3% of the population. Now there are nearly 3 million of them.

In the areas they do live increasing number of non-moslems are leaving and parts of the east end of London and central Birmingham are increasingly becoming Islamic ghettos / no go areas for non moslems. How do i know this? I lived in Tower Hamlets until 3 months ago, and after being harrassed and racially abused (for being white and a non-moslem) by a group of young Bangladeshi's decided to get out before i was carried out in a wooden box. Of course this isn't only the UK - this is a Europewide problem and in Holland / Belgium and France the friction is even worse (remember the riots in France a few years ago - what the media did not report was that the rioters were almost exclusively moslems - i was visiting a friend in Paris at the time). Anyway, i don't want to rant - enough to say i am very concerned about the increasing influence this religion is having in Europe, and worry very much for the future.

Anyway, here are a few maps which may answer your question.

Map of Birmingham showing various religious groups, and where they are concentrated:

Map of London showing the concentration of Moslems at the 2001 census. Around 40% of Moslems in England live in London:

And a map of England showing the percentage of Moslems in each district:

A

What influence is this religion having in Europe? Why do you fear for the future? If we can cope with Christianity, I'm pretty sure we can cope with Islam

I say we become a little more tolerant.. maybe a little more understanding of the benefits of immigration, and change accordingly. If we are looking to deport drains on our economy, lets start with any white trash on daytime TV, single mums living off the taxpayer, and people who think Margaret Thatcher was a good PM..., twould be a start.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:42 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,114,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
Just curious, who or what policy lets this happen. England is an awfully small island. I'd have thought they'd have essentially shut the doors ages ago?
England is a country within the rest of the UK which is an Island.

Alot of people have talent, many wish to settle here and we have a points system. Just so happens that muslims like it here as with many other nationalities. We can't really single out people because of their religion. That would be very discriminative of our government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.