Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2014, 08:34 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
You are making a false link between protection and guns. They are hardly ever an adequate form if protection. And protection from what? Other people with guns? How about my safety and protection which would be better in an unarmed society.

Good reading (and short) Gun control: Data suggest guns do in fact kill people | The Economist
How often do you Brits think we go around shooting random people? did you know the majority of gun crime is gang related (targeted) ?

British media must sure over exaggerate gun crime/culture in the United States from looking at some of these posts
In the U.S most of us like to do us and mind our own business.
I also dislike guns, they are scary... a lot of people i know buy em and keep the gun locked in the safe and keep the ammo locked in another safe (these people don't even hunt) i find this really pointless but i'm not gonna go over to there and take them away because i don't like them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 09:10 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
How often do you Brits think we go around shooting random people? did you know the majority of gun crime is gang related (targeted) ?

British media must sure over exaggerate gun crime/culture in the United States from looking at some of these posts
In the U.S most of us like to do us and mind our own business.
I also dislike guns, they are scary... a lot of people i know buy em and keep the gun locked in the safe and keep the ammo locked in another safe (these people don't even hunt) i find this really pointless but i'm not gonna go over to there and take them away because i don't like them.
Don't forget accidental shootings…and non gang related robbery victims.

http://nyagv.org/wp-content/uploads/...ings-NYAGV.pdf

The huge difference in gun deaths, between the U.S. and many other countries is shocking to people outside of the U.S.

Murders with firearms statistics - countries compared - NationMaster Crime

Considering the U.K. had 14 murders by guns while the U.S. had 9,369 murders by guns I don't think it's a case of the media exaggerating.

The fact that some people in the U.S. don't see this really as a problem since it may or may not directly affect them is also shocking to people outside of the U.S.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:14 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
This is the problem having laws where gun ownership by the general public are allowed. Obviously, in America this right is in the Constitution. Guns are fascinating things. I handled different types of gun while in the army many years ago. Many Americans love their guns, but not all by any means.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
Guns scare the hell out of me. I would rather live in a society like the UK where people don't need to feel the need to be armed and where there's no macho gun culture.

Meh. Guns are inanimate objects. We have plenty of guns in Canada. I've read of estimates to upwards of 9 million firearms, while other authorities insist the number is closer to 20 million, in the hands of 29% of the population of 35 million. There is no macho gun culture about it. We are hunters, farmers, and collectors. There is nothing different between the law abiding gun owners in our two countries. Gun violence in both are almost always gang related. Guns are also used to defend ones home/life more often than one might think up here. However, our media doesn't go ape **** crazy, foaming at the mouth about it.

That being said, it's not all crazy here with gun violence, and in all reality folks, it isn't very crazy in America for the general public either. I've never at any point felt that I was in danger while visiting the States. It's their own media to blame for brodcasting it to the point of hysteria, making us all think things are all whacka-doo bonkers.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Don't forget accidental shootings…and non gang related robbery victims.

http://nyagv.org/wp-content/uploads/...ings-NYAGV.pdf

The huge difference in gun deaths, between the U.S. and many other countries is shocking to people outside of the U.S.

Murders with firearms statistics - countries compared - NationMaster Crime

Considering the U.K. had 14 murders by guns while the U.S. had 9,369 murders by guns I don't think it's a case of the media exaggerating.

The fact that some people in the U.S. don't see this really as a problem since it may or may not directly affect them is also shocking to people outside of the U.S.
They make it seem like we have 300 million murders a year by guns lol.

Kind of bugs me when non-Americans are telling Americans that we shouldn't have guns when they don't even know anything about our country and our culture.
Gun crime in the United States is in decline so i don't see why this problem is being blown out of proportion.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
They make it seem like we have 300 million murders a year by guns lol.

Kind of bugs me when non-Americans are telling Americans that we shouldn't have guns when they don't even know anything about our country and our culture.
Gun crime in the United States is in decline so i don't see why this problem is being blown out of proportion.

Well, like I said, your own media is to blame. They foam at the mouth and blast every single incident out to the world 24/7.

You can't really blame people for thinking the way they do.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Well, like I said, your own media is to blame. They foam at the mouth and blast every single incident out to the world 24/7.

You can't really blame people for thinking the way they do.
Is CNN as in the same CNN we see stateside and not CNN International that popular in the UK?

Every news agency went insane when we had those mass shootings that happened a couple months from each other. RT, BBC, etc...
I remember BBC was reporting on some local shooting in Houston Texas.
You won't see an American news station reporting on that shooting at a London nightclub....

Old 02-19-2014, 11:08 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,862 times
Quote:
Is CNN as in the same CNN we see stateside and not CNN International that popular in the UK?

Every news agency went insane when we had those mass shootings that happened a couple months from each other. RT, BBC, etc...
You won't see an American news station reporting on that shooting at a London nightclub....
Because shootings in London are still rare in comparison to the US and are virtually all gang motivated.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:

Mm. Yeah, I guess you're right. CBC doesn't spend countless hours on it, but things are covered pretty well.

What I ment was the hype though. Other news organisations seem to take it seriously, while you can tell the CNN newsroom is practically in a circle jerk about it. lol

Old 02-19-2014, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
Because shootings in London are still rare in comparison to the US and are virtually all gang motivated.
No they arent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Mm. Yeah, I guess you're right. CBC doesn't spend countless hours on it, but things are covered pretty well.

What I ment was the hype though. Other news organisations seem to take it seriously, while you can tell the CNN newsroom is practically in a circle jerk about it. lol
Yea its like watching an Action movie sometimes.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:53 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,862 times
Quote:
No they arent.
Prove it then? I mean the only mass shooting that I can recall hearing about was this in 2010 and it wasn't even in London:

Cumbria shootings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I can't find any evidence of any school shootings occurring in the UK. The gun crime in London IS predominantly gang-related and is still rare compared to US cities.

Gun crime is still very rare in the UK. People would like to keep it that way and don't have the same romanticism for guns as Americans do (and for good reason).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom