Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 04:13 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,946 times

Advertisements

Jaggy im in Glasgow all the time, I know it is a great city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 09:44 PM

458 posts, read 644,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I do get the impression some people think Britain was impoverished in 1967 because nobody owned an iPad!! :-)
HaHa!! Oh Shnapp

Old 02-24-2014, 08:32 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,617,606 times
Quote:
There were probably more British-built cars and motorcycles sold in the U.S. in 1967 than there are today.
Interesting and btw I had an Austin America...British Leyland made yes?...I zipped around pretty good!....

Old 03-01-2014, 06:53 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,870,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
We had an outside toilet and I was born in 1968! Yes we were very poor but we didn't appreciate it at the time because everyone lived the same way. I was born and bred in Liverpool which like many cities has undergone such an astonishing regeneration in the last 30 years that when I go back now I hardly recognise the place. I admit Liverpool was pretty slummy when I was growing up, but looks fantastic now.
I'm from M/C and visited Liverpool often in 72 & 73. Oh, and in '65 when I had to see the Cavern as young nipper. It was similar to M/C in terms of housing with much of it being old (late 1800's/early 1900's) , crumbling, outside toilets, no central heat, coal fireplaces, rows houses with some missing or rows cut off due to German bombs flattening them in WWII. But, most working class folks lived this way.

Like you, I cannot believe how things looks now. The dock area is unrecognizable.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:45 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,063,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
There are people round here only ten years older than me who remember outside toilets and a tin bath in front of the fire.
You must be very old then.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
France was bombed, however Paris was not bombed to nearly the same extent as London. Whilst the French Economy might have been booming in the 1960's but then again industry was initially booming in Britain following the war as the country rebuilt. There was largely full employment back in the 1950's and 60's in Britain.

As for the most impressive post War economies, as I have already pointed out the German and Japanese economies saw most growth of any countries which suffered significant damage during WW2.
Germany and Japan had their debts wiped out. All factories were new as there were few left. They started with a great advantage. They had no large armies to maintain either.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I'm not sure about 1967, but Britain was crippled by economic and political turmoil throughout much of the 1970s and 1980s - power cuts were commonplace, Britain's post-industrial cities were crumbling, strikes were routine, even London was suffering from a massive population exodus and lack of investment. It was frequently dubbed the 'sick man' of Europe. It was never a poor country, at least, in relation to the vast majority of the world, but it was definitely in very bad shape economically.
The fact the UK was not in a bad economic state in those decades. Do not suck in right wing media propaganda. (I did economics )

Old 03-05-2014, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remotepr9 View Post
Back then, lots of Brits settled in the US, Canada and Australia for better money
99% went to those places as they could buy a decent house and improve their quality of life at a stoke - a type of house which you had to be very well off in the UK to buy. The planning system in the UK favoured the large landowners, who are the richest people in the UK - they are non-productive and parasites. The country is owned by a few people. BTW, only 7.5% of the land in the UK is settled.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
17 shillings is 85 pence! My dad once did security for the Rolling Stones just before they hit the really big time, he had to stop the girls from getting on the stage and by the end of the night his shirt was torn from his back.........he loved it! lol
After the shows they had to mop the floors and use disinfectant. 70% of the girls would wet themselves with excitement. The problem was massive Shea Stadium with the Beatles.

Last edited by John-UK; 03-05-2014 at 01:26 AM..

Old 03-05-2014, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
France was in big economic boom during the 1960's.
The French were embarrassed over WW2. Frenchmen fought Frenchmen. They were bitterly dived at the end of WW2. They passed laws to enable social cohesion and this was part key to their success. The British were still bitterly divided on class grounds, and still are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom