Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 06:20 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,768,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxcolin View Post
No one in the US in 3500 miles from an Ocean. 1000 miles at the very most.
ooooops, sorry.

Across the northern border it is almost 4000 miles wide so someone living in the middle could be almost 2000 miles from the ocean. It's narrower toward the southern border. Three thousand and something miles.

I think in the UK no one lives more than 200 miles away from the ocean and that suits me a lot better.

Yes, there is more smoking over in the UK and that's a negative. All the binge drinking too is a negative for me.

But you are almost always not very far away from gorgeous countryside in the UK. The city ends right near the city line, not spreading out like it does here. Often I've seen in the UK, the city ends and the countryside begins.

Boy, do we have roundabouts. Where I live we certainly do have them. There's one a few miles to the north of where I live so I get to go around it several times a week. My hometown has one right in the center or town! A horrible one, like an octopus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 06:21 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,424,076 times
Quote:
The selection and quality of food in Target or Wal-Mart is incredibly poor when compared to a large Tesco, ASDA or Sainsbury. I never buy fresh food from either.

For Tesco think Target + Albertsons/Ralphs under one roof. Or Carrefour if you've ever been to France/Spain.
Carrefour is a brilliant place.. I love going there when i'm on holiday, they have a massive range of just about anything that you would ever need!

Old 07-07-2014, 06:23 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,424,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
ooooops, sorry.

Across the northern border it is almost 4000 miles wide so someone living in the middle could be almost 2000 miles from the ocean. It's narrower toward the southern border. Three thousand and something miles.

I think in the UK no one lives more than 200 miles away from the ocean and that suits me a lot better.

Yes, there is more smoking over in the UK and that's a negative. All the binge drinking too is a negative for me.

But you are almost always not very far away from gorgeous countryside in the UK. The city ends right near the city line, not spreading out like it does here. Often I've seen in the UK, the city ends and the countryside begins.

Boy, do we have roundabouts. Where I live we certainly do have them. There's one a few miles to the north of where I live so I get to go around it several times a week. My hometown has one right in the center or town! A horrible one, like an octopus.
Roundabouts are brilliant! They tend to work quite well instead of junctions and at least keep the traffic flowing.. the only thing I hate about them is the idiots who don't indicate, which slows down everything as you don't know whether to go or not!

Old 07-07-2014, 06:28 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,140,992 times
Quote:
The selection and quality of food in Target or Wal-Mart is incredibly poor when compared to a large Tesco, ASDA or Sainsbury. I never buy fresh food from either.

For Tesco think Target + Albertsons/Ralphs under one roof. Or Carrefour if you've ever been to France/Spain.
When was the last time you were in a WalMart SuperCenter buying produce or fresh meat? I mentioned Target because the larger Targets also have some fresh produce and meat and dairy - as well as all sorts of other cool stuff, but Target would never be my main grocery store.

Now don't get me wrong - I'm not a huge fan of WalMart, but not because their meat, bakery and produce options are poor (they have organic/fresh/etc and some of their cuts of meat are actually fantastic) but because I have a local grocery store that I much prefer, along the line of Whole Foods or that sort of market.

Here in east Texas, Albertson's isn't ANYTHING to write home about though - it's definitely not any sort of fabulous grocery source. It's just a mid range, mediocre grocery store here.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:35 PM

332 posts, read 434,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
ooooops, sorry.

I'm being pedantic sorry but the US is a little over 3000 miles wide at its widest point.

No one is more than a little over 1000 miles from the ocean.

In the UK I doubt anyone is more than 100 miles from the ocean.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:41 PM

I don't shop in Albertsons just giving the comparison. I'd never buy fresh food from either WalMart or Target. Tesco for example is far superior. We shop for food at Ralph's, Trader Joes or Whole Foods. Yes I've been to those stores.

Overall the UK has more choice and quality under one roof. The produce in California is superior though. If more expensive.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:30 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,140,992 times
Quote:
I don't shop in Albertsons just giving the comparison. I'd never buy fresh food from either WalMart or Target. Tesco for example is far superior. We shop for food at Ralph's, Trader Joes or Whole Foods. Yes I've been to those stores.

Overall the UK has more choice and quality under one roof. The produce in California is superior though. If more expensive.
Sorry - that wasn't my experience that at all. I was underwhelmed by the produce choices in the UK, though I did appreciate the milk and dairy products - EXCELLENT. However, I live in Texas and am from the American South, where fresh produce is grown and sold in exuberant abundance. I mainly shop at three places - a Whole Foods type store, a couple of local health food stores, and farmers' markets. Excellent options abound here in small town Texas. I can even buy raw milk, fresh eggs (by that I mean laid that morning), and locally raised meats that are hormone free and pasture raised, just down the road, as well as all sorts of fresh locally grown produce. This is not unusual throughout the South.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:00 PM

I've lived in both countries and I have to disagree. I don't live in the country but I've found CA has superior choices to the South in large urban centers. Compare LA to San Antonio for example. It took us a while though to get used to having to make 3 trips instead of one.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:41 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,859,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Out of interest, what do you use in America if you don't use chip and pin?
May I ask: what is chip and pin?

Old 07-08-2014, 03:28 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,018,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
What I like:
-beautiful scenery
-weather (no tornados, extreme tenos, etc like US)
-food (less gmo trash and hormones, much better eggs)
-nhs
-More straight forward income tax scheme
-better work life balance....sometimes
-less aggresive and more professional police
-its a more civilized and polite society (judges seem more fair and merciful here)

What I don't like:
-Computer says no (mindless bureaucracy at times)
-rip off prices
-low salaries
-disappointing public transport (especially in south west)
-tv license is a joke
-council tax (property tax in us is always paid by landlord)
-Lack of choice when shopping
-egregious fuel tax

Overall its a good place to live compared to the US, which I happen to believe is in serious decline.
Doesn't the decline depend on which state/city you're living in? e.g. Texas is booming, Cali is falling apart, Detroit is turning into a hellhole with population exodus, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom