Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 04:45 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,410,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxcolin View Post
These are personal but here goes.

Advantages of the UK in no particular order:[LIST][*]Free healthcare[*]No guns[*]Much better chocolate[*]Better tap water[*]No tipping nonsense[*]Better coleslaw[*]Better bread[*]Better cakes[*]No need to add tax to the sticker price[*]No charge for taking money from the ATM[*]Much much better Indian Food[*]Cheaper groceries (I live in CA)[*]Lack of religion and in your face Christianity[*]Better bacon[*]Chip and Pin[*]Celsius[*]The metric system[*]Politics aren't totally broken[*]Much cheaper internet, cable, phone bills[/LIST]Advantages of the US (California):[LIST][*]Don't need to hear about the Royal Family[*]Less cyclists on the roads[*]Less people talking on music stations on radio[*]Satellite Radio[*]No long waits for the check after a meal[*]Weather, weather, weather[*]Restrooms have paper towels[*]Better roads[*]Better landscaping[*]Better sidewalks[*]No paper drivers license (like it was 1950)[*]Automatic transmission cars[*]People are friendlier[*]I don't have to listen to people talk about the English Premier League[*]Much much better customer service[*]Better Japanese food[*]No minimum amount for debit card purchases[*]Less road works[*]No roundabouts[*]Cost of fuel[*]Less people smoke[*]Optimistic outlook[/LIST]There are actually more similarities than differences to be honest. The 2 biggest differences for me are weather and people. The weather is much better here (CA) and the people are way more positive. Now if only they were less religious it would be perfect.
Out of interest, what do you use in America if you don't use chip and pin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 05:01 PM

330 posts, read 432,595 times
No one in the US in 3500 miles from an Ocean. 1000 miles at the very most.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:03 PM

You swipe your card and sign for it just like in the 80's back in the UK. There is some pin entry but again you swipe the card. Some chip and pin is coming after the Target fiasco.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:04 PM

I have to add the following to UK advantages:
  • You can shop in one store Tesco's for example and get everything. In the US you have to go to 3 stores to get it all.
  • People in the US still use checks/cheques all the time. It makes me laugh :-)

Old 07-07-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
You swipe your card and sign for it just like in the 80's back in the UK. There is some pin entry but again you swipe the card. Some chip and pin is coming after the Target fiasco.
Wow, that does seem outdated!

Also, cheques are very rarely used in the UK now! Most shops do not accept them, but they are still used for pay and in businesses I believe.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:13 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,430,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Out of interest, what do you use in America if you don't use chip and pin?
Not only do we still swipe our credit/debit cards but a huge amount of people still use checks (cheques). Standing behind someone who hasn't even put the date on their check and has to fill in the little tally book is a right royal pita and most stores treat them like debit now anyways, they are only accepted if the funds are in your account and some stores even give you your check back once the transaction is completed.

Direct debit as you know it in the UK does not exist in the US. For our bank to pay our cable service by 'direct payment' they write a check to the utility then put it in an envelope and send it. Archaic and a total waste of time if you ask me.

American banking is overall totally different to banking in the UK

Old 07-07-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
Not only do we still swipe our credit/debit cards but a huge amount of people still use checks (cheques). Standing behind someone who hasn't even put the date on their check and has to fill in the little tally book is a right royal pita and most stores treat them like debit now anyways, they are only accepted if the funds are in your account and some stores even give you your check back once the transaction is completed.

Direct debit as you know it in the UK does not exist in the US. For our bank to pay our cable service by 'direct payment' they write a check to the utility then put it in an envelope and send it. Archaic and a total waste of time if you ask me.

Wow, I never realised this before!

I can go and take cash out with my debit card as I please from any cash point (ATM for you guys ) free of charge! I find it so easy here to pay for things, it generally is almost as quick as paying by cash and most people now pay by card.. I can't see how you survive with your methods!

Old 07-07-2014, 05:31 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
I have to add the following to UK advantages:
  • You can shop in one store Tesco's for example and get everything. In the US you have to go to 3 stores to get it all.
  • People in the US still use checks/cheques all the time. It makes me laugh :-)
LOL apparently you've never been to a WalMart supercenter or Target.

And people writing checks in the US is rare - the vast majority of transactions are done via debit/credit card. And I can speak with some authority on this, having recently been employed as a bank manager for a large, regional bank.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:34 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post

Actually this isn't true. Direct Debit is a common form of payment in the US. There ARE some US companies which are not set up to receive direct debits from banks, but those numbers are shrinking daily.

If your bank sends out checks to companies rather than utilizing direct debit, it's usually the company on the receiving end that's the problem, not the bank. Of course, some small, local banks may be lagging in technology but most if not all major banks in the US offer direct debit.

As I said in an earlier post, I recently left banking to enjoy the life of a domestic goddess, but my background is banking. I was the manager for a large branch of a large US bank.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL apparently you've never been to a WalMart supercenter or Target.

And people writing checks in the US is rare - the vast majority of transactions are done via debit/credit card. And I can speak with some authority on this, having recently been employed as a bank manager for a large, regional bank.
The selection and quality of food in Target or Wal-Mart is incredibly poor when compared to a large Tesco, ASDA or Sainsbury. I never buy fresh food from either.

For Tesco think Target + Albertsons/Ralphs under one roof. Or Carrefour if you've ever been to France/Spain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom