Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 08:23 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,448,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3.14 View Post
I haven't seen any of those ads, nor do I know a single person that watches Dr Who our Strictly whatever it is. BBC America shows a lot of UK shows and I like that channel but it's like 240 or something and most people don't know it's there.
When Dr. Who filmed their show on location in New York City the cast and sets were absolutely overwhelmed by huge mobs of Dr. Who fans. Everywhere they went in New York there were growing mobs of fans awaiting them.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:32 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,830,428 times
Dr who ?? Never heard of it ..

Old 07-28-2014, 01:58 AM

16,701 posts, read 17,476,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Thanks for letting us know that.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:06 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,082,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
When Dr. Who filmed their show on location in New York City the cast and sets were absolutely overwhelmed by huge mobs of Dr. Who fans. Everywhere they went in New York there were growing mobs of fans awaiting them.
Amazing for a 1/2 hour kids programme that was first broadcast live in 1962/63.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Before Dr Who became popular here in the USA, many British shows aired on Public Television.

The Minneapolis/St Paul affiliate called TPT- Twin Cities Public Television use to air EastEnders sometimes all day long, I used to love it because you could clearly see some of the cultural differences and that was fascinating to me.
I advise all the people of the East End of London to take the BBC to court for character assassination. They are not all quarrelsome and miserable as that programme makes out.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:27 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,555,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
So??

Old 07-28-2014, 07:32 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,425,275 times
I did not know that Doctor Who was at all popular in the US!

Old 07-28-2014, 09:09 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,330,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britguy1 View Post
As a Brit, it is always so funny when Americans say I love Monty PieThon, Benny Hill, really ??? They're all nearly 40 years old, Benny Hill, is probably not even broadcastable in the UK anymore due to it's mysogynism. And Monty Python really?? it was of it's time 40+ years ago. John Cleese has probably got to be the most unfunny bitter old fart around. Funny, no, sad, yes!

Utterly unbelievable along the lines of British Food is bad, Britains have terrible teeth, Brits are cold, arrogant and uncaring.. the list of utterly daft and untrue stereotypes is funny at first, then frankly a bit annoying. We are just like everyone else, and no we don't still think we have an empire or have any sense of false entitlement in the world.
With all due respect, sincerely...

I can't possibly know how old you are but you may be surprised to know how may of us Americans who enjoyed watching those shows...were at the right age at the right time to not only watch those programs but to "get" the humor and for our part, enjoyed them immensely. The most unfunny bitter old fart around? I thought that was Archie Bunker. Who knew?

Concerning the list of utterly daft and untrue stereotypes (which, personally, I do not find as funny) are definitely and frankly, annoying. OH, dang it, I thought you were commenting on the utterly daft and untrue stereotypes of (and insults hurled at) Americans who, by the way, don't think we are better than the rest of the world and don't have a sense of entitlement in the world (despite what commentators and posters here may have you believe).

Best regards,

Home...

Old 07-28-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
With all due respect, sincerely...

I can't possibly know how old you are but you may be surprised to know how may of us Americans who enjoyed watching those shows...were at the right age at the right time to not only watch those programs but to "get" the humor and for our part, enjoyed them immensely.
Even today the Monty Python team are still mystified at why the Americans liked their humour. When they were putting the show together, assessing their audience they emphatically stated to each other this would never be a success in the USA. Even the Germans took to it and gave them the Olympic stadium to film this. The Germans loved it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur5fGSBsfq8

Quote:
The most unfunny bitter old fart around? I thought that was Archie Bunker. Who knew?
Archie Bunker was based on Alf Garnet in the British "Till Death Us Do Part", the same writer, Johnny Speight, co-wrote All in The Family.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:01 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,330,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Even today the Monty Python team are still mystified at why the Americans liked their humour. When they were putting the show together, assessing their audience they emphatically stated to each other this would never be a success in the USA. Even the Germans took to it and gave them the Olympic stadium to film this. The Germans loved it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur5fGSBsfq8

Archie Bunker was based on Alf Garnet in the British "Till Death Us Do Part", the same writer, Johnny Speight, co-wrote All in The Family.
Well, hmmm...there it is, and didn't we know all along how much the British influenced so many things (as other nations have as well) to the American culture!

Ya' see what I'm talking about here, what my point is...as unbelievable and unimaginable as it may seem to the citizens in some parts of the world (but fortunately...not me) we, as in "we are the world, we are the people", ALL of us, we have far more in common than some of us will ever admit to.

Different cultures, different foods, different opinions, different in many ways, BUT...

our governments do not necessarily represent who we are as human beings, what we all have in common...our humanity, our capacity for love, our capacity for hate, our humor, our love of good food, our empathies, our universal sadness when innocent people ALL over the world die for no damn good reason...in wars, in airplane crashes, in genocides, in greed and in pure unadulterated hatred; the list could possibly go on to infinity.

Let's be honest, we are really not so different after all, anymore so than citizens of the same country can be vastly 'different'.

It's late here, I'm done, I rest my case and I wish me fellow global citizens a good night, a good morning, or a good afternoon, whatever the case may be.

Home...

edit to add...let's all meet at Kathryn's for coffee/tea tomorrow morning. What do you say Kathryn?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom