Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 11:25 PM

14,783 posts, read 8,117,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Ah that's interesting, which shows do you watch from Britain over there?

Our TV is fairly mixed.. on BBC and ITV it is mostly British television, on other channels quite a few American shows are shown such as American Idol, Next top model, Friends and other sitcoms

Love, love, love British tv. - my whole family does, right now Dr. Who and Sherlock are probably two of the favorite tv shows that we enjoy. But also Doc Martin and Downton Abbey. In the past we have also enjoyed Are you being served, Bean, the Young Ones, Black Adder,Torchwood, Keeping Up Appearances,
and Absolutely Fabulous. We have watched most of them on PBS and KET, netflix more recently.
I also enjoy BBC's news.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:39 PM

14,783 posts, read 8,117,863 times
^We watch very little tv, but probably watch just as many British shows as American shows.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:18 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Well, hmmm...there it is, and didn't we know all along how much the British influenced so many things (as other nations have as well) to the American culture!

Ya' see what I'm talking about here, what my point is...as unbelievable and unimaginable as it may seem to the citizens in some parts of the world (but fortunately...not me) we, as in "we are the world, we are the people", ALL of us, we have far more in common than some of us will ever admit to.

Different cultures, different foods, different opinions, different in many ways, BUT...

our governments do not necessarily represent who we are as human beings, what we all have in common...our humanity, our capacity for love, our capacity for hate, our humor, our love of good food, our empathies, our universal sadness when innocent people ALL over the world die for no damn good reason...in wars, in airplane crashes, in genocides, in greed and in pure unadulterated hatred; the list could possibly go on to infinity.

Let's be honest, we are really not so different after all, anymore so than citizens of the same country can be vastly 'different'.

It's late here, I'm done, I rest my case and I wish me fellow global citizens a good night, a good morning, or a good afternoon, whatever the case may be.

Home...

edit to add...let's all meet at Kathryn's for coffee/tea tomorrow morning. What do you say Kathryn?
I say COME ON OVER!

Old 07-29-2014, 07:04 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,318,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I say COME ON OVER!
Can nominations such as these be far behind?

Kathryn for American Ambassador of the c-d forum?

Old 07-29-2014, 08:41 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,413,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Love, love, love British tv. - my whole family does, right now Dr. Who and Sherlock are probably two of the favorite tv shows that we enjoy. But also Doc Martin and Downton Abbey. In the past we have also enjoyed Are you being served, Bean, the Young Ones, Black Adder,Torchwood, Keeping Up Appearances,
and Absolutely Fabulous. We have watched most of them on PBS and KET, netflix more recently.
I also enjoy BBC's news.
I like BBC news as well!

I am not too keen on our TV though.. we make some good documentaries, but there aren't too many shows I watch on a regular basis

Old 07-29-2014, 08:45 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,834,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
When I was growing up, I used to listen to Led Zeppelin, the Who, Yes, the Beatles, the Stones, Cream, Dire Straits, Def Leppard, Black Sabbath, the Clash, the Kinks, Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden, the Police, Genesis, the Outfield, and on and on. This was not because I was particularly fascinated by these bands for being "British." If I hadn't known, I would have assumed they were American. I just preferred their music. It wasn't just casually either, this music was a significant part of the soundtrack of my youth.

In American schools, we learn that Shakespeare is THE greatest poet of all time. We also read many other British poets. We watch British programming on public television. Nearly everything that is considered "high class" or "high culture" in the U.S. is ultimately identified as being of British or European origin. And of course, everybody is fascinated by the British royals and treat them like celebrities.

This is really just part of it. In spite of this, it seems to me that most people in the U.K. don't realize that there's so much British influence in America. Am I wrong?
That used to be...today it is Espanol.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:57 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,887,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
When Dr. Who filmed their show on location in New York City the cast and sets were absolutely overwhelmed by huge mobs of Dr. Who fans. Everywhere they went in New York there were growing mobs of fans awaiting them.
I didn't see very many British shows on my tv.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
^We watch very little tv, but probably watch just as many British shows as American shows.
I watch more American than British.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:08 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,689,500 times
u
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
I didn't see very many British shows on my tv.
Well, the way we watch TV has changed. Many people rarely use standard TV. They use Hulu, Netflix, Amazon and Itunes, Or they use On Demand , or the illegally download. This is especially true for young people
The reason Doctor WHo started airing the show at the same time in the US as in the UK is because people were using illegal means to download it. Networks have actually had to look at new ways to get accurate viewing figures as just looking at 1 airing on TV does not tell the story nowdays.
What you see on TV is not what is neccessarily popular. Some of the most popular shows in the USA, like Orange is the New Black aren't even on TV.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:16 AM

But we have those things too!?

To me they aren't real tv as they can be watched everywhere and anywhere in the world.
I assesed the american tv in my house and I seen basically no British shows so I would say that is pretty accurate as the tv had over 200 channels.

The same was common during my last visit to America.

We have so so much more American tv then you have British tv..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom