Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 05:23 PM

7 posts, read 11,137 times

Advertisements

My fiancé is English and we are trying to take the right steps for me to move to the uk by the beginning of next year. We're planning a wedding for this December, and I just want to make sure we're doing everything by the book. So if you have any advice or info I would really appreciate it.

The wedding is December 27th and I want to be able to fly back to the UK with him. I have been advised that a fiancé visa might be the best way to do this, then apply for the marriage visa right away in the uk. We don't have a ton of money so I want to make sure that I get it right on the first try.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 07:26 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,908,500 times
Is the wedding in the US or the UK or somewhere else?

Old 09-09-2014, 09:58 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,243,839 times
You should visit the British home office website. They should have a contact number should you have any questions.

Old 09-09-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brontosaurus View Post
Is the wedding in the US or the UK or somewhere else?
The wedding is in the US.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:08 PM

Could I skip the fiancé visa if I just traveled to the uk on holiday after the wedding and just went and filed for the marriage visa while over there?

Old 09-10-2014, 12:10 AM

825 posts, read 1,035,037 times
You cannot transfer a holiday visa to another classification. You must enter the UK using whatever visa classification you have. Its a really stupid rule thanks to the anti immmigration crowd.

I wonder if your best bet if you're getting married in the US is to apply for the FLR (M) the spouse visa from the US and enter with that. It shouldn't take too long.

By the way, to get any of these visas, your hubby needs to make at least 18,600 per year and have had the job at least 6 months or theres no shot.

Good luck! I went through this so feel free to contact me with questions.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:19 AM

Yes, Chdennis, the fiance visa is no use to you if you are getting married in the US. You need to apply for a spouse visa and wait until you get it before travelling to the UK. It is likely that your husband will need to return to the UK ahead of you as the process may take a few weeks. Note that you cannot apply for the visa ahead of time. You must wait until you have the marriage certificate. Be sure you also have all the financial and accomodation documentation to hand before you make the application.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:07 AM

Ok I'm glad I don't have to apply for two visas, but sad I'll have to wait to join him. Thanks for all your help guys!

Old 09-10-2014, 08:16 AM

Do any of you know how long it will take for the spouse visa to be approved? I don't want to wait terribly long. Could I speed the process up some how?

Old 09-10-2014, 08:56 AM

If you can spare an additional $500 over and above the visa fee you can apply with the priority service: UK Visa Information - United States of America - User Pay Services
The key thing to avoid delays is to make sure you include every single document they want. Are you compiling your own application or are you using a professional immigration advisor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom