Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 10:40 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,105,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart G. Griffin View Post
Agreed. The No vote has been pushed underground by the aggressive nature of the Yes campaign.

You'll hardly see any No campaign signs in windows relative to Yes. Because you'll get rocks thrown at your window if you dare to put up a No poster. And don't put a No sticker in your car window unless you want the paintwork 'customized' by a passing ned.

The No vote is just quietly sat at home waiting to make their voices heard tomorrow.

I believe it will be a relatively comfortable win for the No campaign compared to what the polls are saying.
I have been hearing this more and more ... and after the vile way the cretins treated Milliband yesterday I don't doubt it either.

This referendum has truly put narrow minded nationalism on full display for the world to see ... and many of us across the pond are appalled with the behavior coming from the yes camp.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:56 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I have been hearing this more and more ... and after the vile way the cretins treated Milliband yesterday I don't doubt it either.

This referendum has truly put narrow minded nationalism on full display for the world to see ... and many of us across the pond are appalled with the behavior coming from the yes camp.
"Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind." - Albert Einstein

Old 09-17-2014, 11:01 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,442,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
"Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind." - Albert Einstein
Yeah...there would be no country at all if nationalism does not exist,which is probably a good thing.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:05 AM

554 posts, read 736,534 times
Quote:
Tell me Jaggy, as you review this thread; which posters do you think Einstein would take issue with and which side of this debate do they fall on?

Old 09-17-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin (pronounced Owen) View Post
Tell me Jaggy, as you review this thread; which posters do you think Einstein would take issue with and which side of this debate do they fall on?
Thanks for the offer but I don't think I will bother.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:12 AM

554 posts, read 736,534 times
Quote:
Thanks for the offer but I don't think I will bother.
I didn't think you would...

Old 09-17-2014, 11:27 AM

Gordon Brown's fantastic speech today in favour of a NO vote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J39bBV7CBJk

Old 09-17-2014, 11:43 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,704,793 times
It's been reported today Jaggy that banks in the UK have been quietly moving millions of bank notes north of the border in case there's a surge in demand by Scots wanting to withdraw cash in the event Scotland votes for independence in Thursdays referendum.

Also police in Scotland are not happy that Scottish pubs will be staying open into the early hours on Thursday/Friday especially in the event of a NO vote. The YES campaigns behaviour has been despicable recently, so I wonder how they will react if they lose.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
It's been reported today Jaggy that banks in the UK have been quietly moving millions of bank notes north of the border in case there's a surge in demand by Scots wanting to withdraw cash in the event Scotland votes for independence in Thursdays referendum.

Also police in Scotland are not happy that Scottish pubs will be staying open into the early hours on Thursday/Friday especially in the event of a NO vote. The YES campaigns behaviour has been despicable recently, so I wonder how they will react if they lose.
Albion ... we know that Scottish pension funds have been moving funds south of the border so the capital flight has already begun. I also know that a lot of Scots have been driving down to Carlisle and Berwick and opening accounts. Apparently, Barclays Bank in Berwick described business as 'brisk'.

In my opinion, if there is a Yes vote there will be a major flight of capital outside of Scotland due to currency risk. There will also be a move to cash in the form of Bank of England notes. Hence I believe you when you say that banks have been moving cash north of the border.

The other problem I see is a drying up of consumer spending due to currency, employment and general economic uncertainty and a drying up of liquidity as banks stop lending until the currency uncertainty has been resolved. All of that will, again in my opinion, have a disastrous and immediate effect on the Scottish economy.

I don't think the Yes campaign has been honest with the potential consequences and I don't think the NO campaign has done a good job of spelling them out.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:58 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,105,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
This doesent surprise me at all, apparently some pubs have been granted special licenses to stay open until 3am ... if the yes voe loses very narrowly (as I suspect will be the outcome) it is not going to be very pretty.

The behavior from the yes camp has been downright appalling the past few days ... mobbing TV stations because they dare to ask the hard questions (I mean *gasp* how dare anyone criticize the great King Salmond!), and physically attacking Better Together activists. I even saw one report of campaigners 'warning' Better Together activists that they will end up like Mussolini on Friday morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom