Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 02:56 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YkLPxQp_y0

John Oliver got me hooked on this issue.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:21 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,384,276 times
I hope Scooooooooooooooootlan stays in the UKaaaaaaaaayyyyy

Old 09-17-2014, 03:59 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Flower of Scotland says it all...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA6cnXFiE6I

O flower of Scotland
When will we see your like again
That fought and died for
Your wee bit hill and glen
And stood against him
Proud Edward's army
And sent him homeward
Tae think again

The hills are bare now
And autumn leaves lie thick and still
O'er land that is lost now
Which those so dearly held
And stood against him
Proud Edward's army
And sent him homeward
Tae think again

Those days are passed now
And in the past they must remain
But we can still rise now
And be the nation again
That stood against him
Proud Edward's army
And sent him homeward
Tae think again

Old 09-17-2014, 04:00 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
how nice of you Macrina thanks a lot...Im shocked , grateful and surprised at the people interested in whats going on in the UK over this..

It is my opinion that if Scotland leaves the UK, the call of secession movements across the globe will become louder and louder. The hearts of all those people who have hope for breaking away from their central governments all over the world are in Scotland now.

To me, I don't understand why the vote is even close. From watching speech after speech by UK politicians, I haven't seen any evidence of why Scotland is better off in the UK. Their two arguments seem to be nostalgia and fear.

To me, the nostalgia part is the weakest of the two. They keep talking about how they built their countries together, that they fought wars together, that they built the NHS together, etc.

That might be true, but what does it really mean? Would they not have been on the same side in WWI and WWII had they not been the same country? Would Scotland not have a NHS if it hadn't been for the UK? To me, the arguments for nostalgia are actually an attack on the very character of Scotland. It effectively declares that Scotland wouldn't have been able to do any of those things on its own.

The second argument is fear. The UK says to Scotland that if you leave, we are going to cut you off from the British pound, that we will empty out all British investments from Scotland, that you will become militarily weak and vulnerable to foreign influence and possibly terrorism. Then continues to instill fear through arguments and uncertainty over North Sea oil and the national debt.

Which to me effectively says "If you don't stick with the UK, we are going to do everything we can to ********* over and ruin your economy."

To me, the sheer arrogance of England would turn me against them. It is the equivalent of a man telling a woman that she can't divorce him because she can never find anyone better. Or really, England is saying "Stay with me, not because you love me, but because if you try to leave me, I will do everything I can to make your life miserable".

Scotland would be better off without the UK, and the UK would actually be better off without Scotland. The only people who shouldn't agree are the investors/bankers in London. Who are eager to rush their money out of Scotland simply from the result of a referendum which won't change anything in Scotland for another year and a half.

Don't be controlled through fear.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 09-17-2014 at 04:13 PM..

Old 09-17-2014, 04:30 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
It is my opinion that if Scotland leaves the UK, the call of secession movements across the globe will become louder and louder. The hearts of all those people who have hope for breaking away from their central governments all over the world are in Scotland now.

To me, I don't understand why the vote is even close. From watching speech after speech by UK politicians, I haven't seen any evidence of why Scotland is better off in the UK. Their two arguments seem to be nostalgia and fear.

To me, the nostalgia part is the weakest of the two. They keep talking about how they built their countries together, that they fought wars together, that they built the NHS together, etc.

That might be true, but what does it really mean? Would they not have been on the same side in WWI and WWII had they not been the same country? Would Scotland not have a NHS if it hadn't been for the UK? To me, the arguments for nostalgia are actually an attack on the very character of Scotland. It effectively declares that Scotland wouldn't have been able to do any of those things on its own.

The second argument is fear. The UK says to Scotland that if you leave, we are going to cut you off from the British pound, that we will empty out all British investments from Scotland, that you will become militarily weak and vulnerable to foreign influence and possibly terrorism. Then continues to instill fear through arguments and uncertainty over North Sea oil and the national debt.

Which to me effectively says "If you don't stick with the UK, we are going to do everything we can to ********* over and ruin your economy."

To me, the sheer arrogance of England would turn me against them. It is the equivalent of a man telling a woman that she can't divorce him because she can never find anyone better. Or really, England is saying "Stay with me, not because you love me, but because if you try to leave me, I will do everything I can to make your life miserable".

Scotland would be better off without the UK, and the UK would actually be better off without Scotland. The only people who shouldn't agree are the investors/bankers in London. Who are eager to rush their money out of Scotland simply from the result of a referendum which won't change anything in Scotland for another year and a half.

Don't be controlled through fear.
Ah look, a fellow American filled with romantic notions. The real world doesent work the way you describe.

Tell you what, try making Oklahoma independent without currency or a long term viable economic plan and tell me how it goes. You can even play the emotional card of supposedly oppressed Indians ala William Wallace and Bannockburn of the SNP campaign.

Old 09-17-2014, 04:39 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
I have some Scottish ancestry with relatives and friends there all who are on the Yes side. I'm fairly familiar with Scottish History, after Culloden the Red Coats near decimated the Scottish people, they weren't allowed to speak their language, wear their tartans, they did away with the clan system, hung the lairds, took the lands etc. They have a right to their independence as any country that's lived under another's rule. I do hope it's a yes for Scotland.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:13 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,865,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I have some Scottish ancestry with relatives and friends there all who are on the Yes side. I'm fairly familiar with Scottish History, after Culloden the Red Coats near decimated the Scottish people, they weren't allowed to speak their language, wear their tartans, they did away with the clan system, hung the lairds, took the lands etc. They have a right to their independence as any country that's lived under another's rule. I do hope it's a yes for Scotland.
Scotland was never under England's rule, and the depiction of Culloden as a battle between English oppressors and Scottish freedom fighters is grossly erroneous. The Irish were oppressed, the French Canadians were oppressed, and the Indians and Jamaicans were opressed. The Scots were the ones doing it in the name of the Empire. Scots were generally among the most patriotic (pro-British) Britons until the Empire fell apart post-WWII.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:22 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,582,420 times
Quote:
Yea, I'm familiar with the history to. Yes we English did terrible things in the past, from the slave trade to oppression! But we also got rid of all that! Now the UK is a country of freedom, in fact "Land of hope and glory" is British you know?! However, history is one of the reasons why I understand why many Scots want independence. But, the Union has been a country for 307 years now. Economically if Scotland leaves the UK, it will destroy the economy on both sides of the boarder, and as a result it will effect the European, North American and the commonwealth markets! What gets me, is the fact the Scotland still wants the Queen, and a £ currency union... IF THEY WANT TRUE INDEPENDENCE THEN THEY CAN MAKE THEIR OWN QUEEN AND THEIR OWN CURRENCY (OR HAVE THE EURO, AND WE ALL KNOW HOW SH*T THE EURO IS!)!
Anyway, if Scotland stays with the UK, they will have more devolved powers. Now this will mean that it will spread to Wales, NI and England. Witch will mean a federal UK such as the USA, Australia and Canada...
So Scotland vote yes to more powers, yes to a more likelihood of a federal Britain, vote NO! for Scottish independence!
Scots, at the end of the day, never mind me or what the rest of the world thinks. Vote for your heart! Again, wish you Scots good-luck for whatever the future holds for your beautiful nation! x

Old 09-17-2014, 06:24 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
There were as many Scots on the government side at Culloden as there were on the Jacobite side.

Gaelic was a minority language in Scotland even then. Most people spoke Scots which was a low-German dialect.

Fact is, Scotland has not been under another country's rule. It is a modern democracy as the mere fact of having this referendum proves.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:27 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,994,516 times
Scotland doesn't need the British Pound nor the Euro. They can use the US dollar as other's do including two British dependencies.

Scotland had been an independent nation far longer than it has been part of the United Kingdom. Through history the Scots have had to proclaim their national sovereignty, eg. the Declaration of Arbroath.

I have more faith in the people of Scotland than I do the politicians of Westminster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom