Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 03:58 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Funnily enough of two of the places mentioned above, Portmeirion and Edensor, I've stayed in both.

Portmeirion was a surprise from Mrs J though it ceased to be a surprise when I had to navigate there- it was a bit of a a trek for just one night.

I stayed at Edensor after visiting Chatsworth House and then travelling on to Stirling. That was a nice trip.
Lucky you Jez... hubby sat in the car while I prowled around the graveyard and the village.. didnt do it for him at all.. but i loved the beauty and peacefullness of the place..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 09:29 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,818,168 times
Western Isles of Scotland, and a little further out to St Kilda. Also, the Orkney and Shetland Isles.
I've feel like I've seen most of what England has to offer, so it's time to see more of Scotland.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean york View Post
Western Isles of Scotland, and a little further out to St Kilda. Also, the Orkney and Shetland Isles.
I've feel like I've seen most of what England has to offer, so it's time to see more of Scotland.
I agree there and I live in Scotland, I really have to stretch myself and get over to more islands... so much to see..and so much beauty..

Old 01-05-2015, 10:56 PM

1 posts, read 655 times
Newcastle

Old 01-06-2015, 07:11 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,619,209 times
What a country ...the UK. Great sites, great football, great breakfasts!...;-)..
When we go we're usually on the hunt for King Arthur and Mistah Poldark and walking the old Roman high streets.

I thought I saw the glint of Excalibur in Dozmary Pool last time and Arthur's ghost at Tintagel. Cornwall's an amazing place! As Bodmin Moor and historic York and Sciotkand. After seeing Herriot's book and pictures on Yorkshire well it just makes me want to buy land and look out and roam those moors!

Old 01-06-2015, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
What a country ...the UK. Great sites, great football, great breakfasts!...;-)..
When we go we're usually on the hunt for King Arthur and Mistah Poldark and walking the old Roman high streets.

I thought I saw the glint of Excalibur in Dozmary Pool last time and Arthur's ghost at Tintagel. Cornwall's an amazing place! As Bodmin Moor and historic York and Sciotkand. After seeing Herriot's book and pictures on Yorkshire well it just makes me want to buy land and look out and roam those moors!
Tell us more Travric..

Old 01-06-2015, 08:43 AM

489 posts, read 1,193,031 times
I am planning a trip to Cornwall this summer, I've never been and there is way too much to see and do Mousehole, Polperro, Mevagissey, Looe,The Eden Project,The Lost Gardens of Heligan, St Ives , The Minack Theatre , Port Isaac , Padstow, st michael's mount,. Anyone been or have any tips on must see things

Old 01-06-2015, 10:41 AM

re: Tell us more...

And there's Georgian Bath, Hadrian's Wall, have to get in shape to walk it...;-)..Beatle Liverpool, the Cotswolds, Norfolk, London, Canterbury, Hastings..the Scot Highlands and the beautiful Brecon Hills.

And let's not forget all those 'villages' even those lost and gone but still leave behind their traces in the fields and streets. They are 'smal'l perhaps but for me that's where Britain reigns supreme. Give me a pub that's named 'The Brooding Hen and the Gilded Otter' and I'm ok hanging out by Ray Davies' proverbial 'village green' and I guess its 'preservation society. But hey that's me hangin' around the isle. J

Just saying urban is nice but the villages off those 'A' or 'B' roads give the country its identity. We all have our England, Scotland or Wales eh?...;-)....

Old 01-06-2015, 11:01 AM

elgin loon...

Are you driving???? Not used to those narrow roads in Cornwall I had to 'learn' fast! But of course if you're used to the driving 'on the left' stuff you'll probably be ok with those roads down there!

Fine places you picked. I'd suggest if you have time that you might stop off and take in some towns for a look-see as you go up or down I think the A30 road. Quiet and quaint and the people are just great and hospitable. We did that with historic Lostwithiel and Altarnun with a 15th century church. Also, there's the Jamaica Inn you'll pass on the way down in Bodmin. Historic place of the pirates and smugglers off Cornwall's coast. Nice place to settle down and grab a meal or even stay overnight near the Moor. And then there's Tintagel farther up on the coast if you like history. A beautiful ancient place. Enjoy the trip.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:02 AM

16,671 posts, read 17,437,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
re: Tell us more...

And there's Georgian Bath, Hadrian's Wall, have to get in shape to walk it...;-)..Beatle Liverpool, the Cotswolds, Norfolk, London, Canterbury, Hastings..the Scot Highlands and the beautiful Brecon Hills.

And let's not forget all those 'villages' even those lost and gone but still leave behind their traces in the fields and streets. They are 'smal'l perhaps but for me that's where Britain reigns supreme. Give me a pub that's named 'The Brooding Hen and the Gilded Otter' and I'm ok hanging out by Ray Davies' proverbial 'village green' and I guess its 'preservation society. But hey that's me hangin' around the isle. J

Just saying urban is nice but the villages off those 'A' or 'B' roads give the country its identity. We all have our England, Scotland or Wales eh?...;-)....
I agree, though I once posted that the small towns of the Country do that.

I'll be off to the depths of Wiltshire and Dorset tomorrow- bliss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom