Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 08:05 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,582,420 times

Advertisements

This documentary from (probably) the 80s, shows Pompey's football hooliganism back in the 60s, 70s, and 80s, also still going on today but in a lesser extent - This is one of the reasons why I dislike football, why do people kill over a game?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBRWroagiFI

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 10:48 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Hell knows Jas.. seems to be one of the only sports that this competitive angry support happens, I might be wrong but what Ive noticed.. we have enough of this rubbish in Glasgow with Rangers and Celtic, its horrible.. and causes so many fights.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:41 AM

16,672 posts, read 17,437,937 times
Firstly I didn't look at the video, but having followed football since the 1960s I can guess what was in it.

I've been in grounds like Old Trafford where it got nasty, even had fireworks thrown around.

However football is being used as an outlet for the violence and major anti social behaviour and it is up to the clubs to get rid of the morons who participate in such activity.

In general it has worked.

Ironically one hotspot in recent years has been between Portsmouth and Southampton, but given the differing fortunes of the two clubs they will only get to play each other if drawn together in a cup competition.

There are other clashes of near neighbours such as Sunderland and Newcastle, even Swindon and Bristol. What a sad load of losers!

That was certainly one thing I enjoyed in the US- the general absence of tribalism, though I'm sure it exists in certain spots.

Perhaps geographical constraints meant it impractical for fans to travel to away matches be it in whatever sport.

I did watch Everton play a pre season match in Houston a few years ago and the visiting fans seemed a bit bewildered at the set up over there.

Alcohol was available in the stadium, but smoking is prohibited in the main seated arena- oh, and don't stand up there.

No- I haven't been to a football match in the UK for a few years now and don't intend to start- mind you Bournemouth are on fire!

Old 01-04-2015, 08:59 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,619,209 times
Re: "However football is being used as an outlet for the violence and major anti social behaviour and it is up to the clubs to get rid of the morons who participate in such activity.
In general it has worked."

You know I would agree with this. Only thing I'd say is that Britain has adjusted to it but I am not sure the 'continent' has. I mean I am amazed at crowd behavior yelling out publicly racist chants and diatribes. Arguably FIFA and the clubs have to do better. I really feel for those players who get the taunts. They have a case!

Re: "That was certainly one thing I enjoyed in the US- the general absence of tribalism, though I'm sure it exists in certain spots"

Yeah but you know we don't have that 'tradition' of football that England or the continent has. But I think we see a bit of activity trying to set that up here when certain teams play. Personally I don't see that it will develop like Britain with all its specific local history but it will be intense if rivalries develop as the years go on.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:02 AM

16,672 posts, read 17,437,937 times
Good points travric- there are still some pretty ugly things going on on the European continent.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:39 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,323,747 times
Going to the local lower league club and standing in a cage full of older teenagers signing and chanting death threats and rude words at opposing fans, was a life changing event for a polite middle class boy. In reality very few of them could have contemplated a proper fight, but in that crowd at that moment you felt truly invincible.

Nick Hornby got it right in Fever Pitch when he said that after a series of tragedies in which countless people died, and after years of seeing fans drifting away from football, government and club owners decided to get rid of its traditional support base by building executive boxes and demolishing the old terraces. And in a sense, who could blame them?

Old 01-04-2015, 07:34 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,619,209 times
Re: 'there are some pretty ugly things going on the European continent'

This may be a naive question but why does it keep occurring? Some of the stuff is vicious.
I just don't know how players can go out and play their sport in an environment like that.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:07 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,673,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
That was certainly one thing I enjoyed in the US- the general absence of tribalism, though I'm sure it exists in certain spots.
In sports there isn't as much, but in politics/religion/race there is plenty.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:23 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Watched this film last night whether near the truth or not I dont know as cant stand football.. but the thought of adults carrying on like this made me feel sick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJNLlviIH5s

Old 01-08-2015, 08:08 AM

703 posts, read 446,567 times
Just another symptom of a society where winning means everything, and the deeply held belief that if you don't win you're doing something wrong.
This of course is in denial of the mathematical reality that for every 1000 competitors 999 of them have to be losers however hard they try and do everything right.
I can see 'Hunger Games' looming for real !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom