Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 03:39 AM

8 posts, read 5,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Many people from where I live would think thats a palace hahaha.. you must all be spoiled ..
I don't think so, it's just my personal feeling. Not my style
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 08:09 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,048,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephM1994 View Post
The first one is nice, second one not so much. The first one is too plain though, needs a bay window or some columns. I mean I get that the UK is a much older country, but why don't people with money tear down some of those dated monstrosities where you have to live on top of each other like this:

And build spacious, modern, nice looking homes like this like the wealthy Russians, Italians and Jews do in NYC and New Jersey:
I happen to like row/terraced housing/townhouses, especially from the Victorian era. That modern "home" you've displayed is a bit gaudy and tacky for my personal taste.

The second building in the initial post (Park Circus) appeals to me. I don't quite understand why the UK would want to emulate McMansion culture that is often looked down upon in the US—in which the average family still lives in a "dated" house, built between the 1950-1980s (Whitecraigs' villa). Part of what makes the UK appealing is its preservation of history, and architecture.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:32 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,738,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
I happen to like row/terraced housing/townhouses, especially from the Victorian era. That modern "home" you've displayed is a bit gaudy and tacky for my personal taste.

The second building in the initial post (Park Circus) appeals to me. I don't quite understand why the UK would want to emulate McMansion culture that is often looked down upon in the US—in which the average family still lives in a "dated" house, built between the 1950-1980s (Whitecraigs' villa). Part of what makes the UK appealing is its preservation of history, and architecture.
Maybe its the other way round about emulating... I think the Industrial age here made so many rich beyond their wildest dreams that they built to show the world just how much their riches were... Even before that we had the tobacco barons.. who lived off slavery with one having this house in town now a museum. Inside this bulding is beautful but not a home...It just shows how some wanted to show off their wealth. while poverty in Glasgow was rife..slums were everywhere not far from that area. Gallery of Modern Art - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-30-2015, 04:07 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,048,839 times
^ Nice touch on the statue.

After looking at the houses again, I don't find the villa so bad...it's just not what I consider typical "British" styling. Some pieces and details are classic, but some of the appliances and furniture is what I'd expect to find in an American kitchen. I recognize this is a luxurious house, but I'd expect most UK refridgerators aren't that size. My refridgerator is smaller, and sadly "old" in comparison. The sitting/living room is much very contemporary, rather than traditional. Either British standards of luxury have changed, or the home was staged to appeal to all Westernized countries, even the U.S. and Canada. Not a bad thing, just not what I would expect in a Britsh home... .

Thank you for sharing.

Old 03-31-2015, 01:38 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,738,593 times
I dont really know what is the best attractive architecture for houses here in Glasgow.most of the affluent had town houses that looked more or less the same, this one however , only two were built like this by the same man.. Holmwood House which Ive visited.. Many of glasgows bigger old houses were demolished in town for shops.. sadly, but some do survive...

Holmwood House Feature Page on Undiscovered Scotland

this one was very grand... http://www.nts.org.uk/property/pollok-house/

and a Glasgow tenement that got stuck in time.. http://www.nts.org.uk/property/tenement-house/

this is St Andrews church on St Andrews square.. its surrounded by what was some of the most affluent town houses from the past. but the industries ,smoke and pollution had them moving further out of the way.. All these houses and the church was founded on slavery and the tobacco lords . http://www.freefoto.com/preview/1089...quare--Glasgow

Last edited by dizzybint; 03-31-2015 at 01:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom