Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 09:40 AM

2 posts, read 2,181 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, this is my first post here so please bear with me

So basically, my boyfriend has secured a job teaching in West Ealing, but unfortunately we don't have the budget to live anywhere in London. Both of us would actually prefer to live outside of London anyway and commute in. From the research I have done, Slough is only 20-30 mins away from Ealing Broadway on the train. I have also found quite a few properties on righmoveuk and Zoopla that are within our budget.

I am just wondering if anyone could recommend the best/safest areas to live there? (I have read a lot of reports online that there can be quite a bit of crime in Slough).

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated Thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 09:59 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
I'm not overly familiar with Slough, I spend most of my time in nearby Windsor, but don't live in the east end of Slough called Langley. That section is kinda run down (you'll notice it from the train station), and also the parts nearest Windsor Road and the neighborhoods. I'm also thinking of moving to Slough in the near future, and I want to find something around Cippenham. If you're looking for a one bedroom flat, anything below £600 a month is a questionable neighborhood. And yes, Slough does have a reputation for crime in the area, as even my friends in Iver can say too. But, it's better than London, IMO. Try Maidenhead too. Not much better, but better than Slough I think

Old 04-26-2015, 10:13 AM

264 posts, read 272,537 times
Even Reading might be better, a bit further out, 40 miles from central London, its bigger slightly more attractive and i think theres still a pretty sizable Irish community there. Parts of Slough are pretty iffy, so ive heard.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:17 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
Slough is perfectly fine well it may be sketchy but it can't be that bad can it?

Places in London like Hayes and Hillingdon doesn't strike me as being expensive...
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...bed-flats.html

Old 04-26-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Slough is perfectly fine well it may be sketchy but it can't be that bad can it?

Places in London like Hayes and Hillingdon doesn't strike me as being expensive...
Hillingdon flats. Find 1 bedroom flats to rent in Hillingdon, Uxbridge, Middlesex
Slough isn't terrible. There are worse places than Slough like Luton and Watford. I would live in Slough, and that's where I'm moving to. Good transport links and it's affordable. I still recommend Maidenhead if OP doesn't want to be in London or Slough is a turnoff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarringtonNI View Post
Even Reading might be better, a bit further out, 40 miles from central London, its bigger slightly more attractive and i think theres still a pretty sizable Irish community there. Parts of Slough are pretty iffy, so ive heard.
I used to live near Slough, literally 5 minutes away in Windsor. It's not a bad place. Crime isn't everywhere there. Cippenham is a nice area of the city, Langley isn't. Windsor is the best town in east Berkshire, but it's the most expensive. Just don't go out past 10 PM and your chances of being a victim of crime drop like a rock

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 04-26-2015 at 10:56 AM..

Old 04-26-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Slough isn't terrible. There are worse places than Slough like Luton and Watford. I would live in Slough, and that's where I'm moving to. Good transport links and it's affordable
What's wrong with Luton and Watford?!

I can understand Luton with its alleged ethnic tensions but Watford? Its the end of the Metropolitan line!

Old 04-26-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
What's wrong with Luton and Watford?!

I can understand Luton with its alleged ethnic tensions but Watford? Its the end of the Metropolitan line!
Watford is pretty chavvy

Old 04-26-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Watford is pretty chavvy
That's your reason?

Chavvy as in Working class or Chavvy as in people carrying knifes ready to kill?

Watford has good transport link, too (London Overground, Tube, National rail)

Old 04-26-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
That's your reason?

Chavvy as in Working class or Chavvy as in people carrying knifes ready to kill?
Lol both of them. My brother-in-law was a trainee manager at the Tesco there and says Watford is a craphole

Old 04-26-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Lol both of them. My brother-in-law was a trainee manager at the Tesco there and says Watford is a craphole
People tend to over-exaggerate.

My family thought it was good enough to shop their when we don't even live in Watford - took long to get there on the tube!

I rather live in Watford than pretentious-royal-ly Windsor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom