Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 10:31 PM

49 posts, read 60,612 times

Advertisements

But it's their opinion. You might think "gays are a cancer" is offensive, but it's someone's belief and to them it's valid and just a generation ago was the majority opinion. All opinions should be heard, you can hate what they say and rebuke it but stifling it with threats of prosecution is totalitarian.

If the offending tweet was someone's true and honest opinion, why is it any less valid than yours? Because it makes someone sad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 10:38 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
If someone's opinion is derogatory and seeks to diminish and belittle entire groups of people then I do not consider it valid or useful. Do I consider such opinions less valid than my own? Yes, I certainly do. I have no time or respect for people who only want to incite hatred.

By all means, criticise Islam - I criticise all religions because I don't agree with any of them - but cricising people for something that is innate - for something they have no control over - is not really something I tolerate. Plus, criticism is different to outright hatred. I can criticise Islam by saying certain aspects of it are backwards, without insulting the people who follow it. Ditto Christianity.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:39 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. politically incorrect View Post
U.K.

Is being PC and stopping people from getting their feelings hurt more important than freedom of speech to the British people?

No, it isn't.

Quote:
I noticed this online. My relation to Britain is a love for that country. I went to London and I was so upset that there wasn't a British thing about it besides the lady on the money. It's sad to watch a culture die.

And yes, I know the UK has other hate speech laws..which is insane. Why do the British people accept prosecution for an opinion?

I live in Baltimore yes and hate it, I'm here for my parents. The USA sucks no doubt, but the freedom to offend here is protected there has been many court cases about that. It's sad that in Britain one cannot say their opinion, offensive or sexist or homophobic or not. It's actually disgusting. If you're not inciting violence you should be able to say whatever you want.

Freedom of speech does not mean that you can just say whatever you want whenever you want and everyone else just has to deal with it. Hate speech laws in the UK are about just that; hate. To be honest, I think we have become too PC, but these laws are written to protect the rights of people to live based on who they are,without having to be preached at by some inbred delinquent (many American preachers come to mind, not to mention certain prominent people in American politics).

You really don't need to worry about it. I can assure you that the Queen's head on British currency is about the least thing cultural about London or the greater UK, now or ever.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:42 PM

Quote:
But it's their opinion. You might think "gays are a cancer" is offensive, but it's someone's belief and to them it's valid and just a generation ago was the majority opinion. All opinions should be heard, you can hate what they say and rebuke it but stifling it with threats of prosecution is totalitarian.

If the offending tweet was someone's true and honest opinion, why is it any less valid than yours? Because it makes someone sad?

Rubbish. Your opinion is YOUR opinion. Opinions like that are better off in ones head. What is the purpose of sharing such bile if not to purposely offend?

Old 05-03-2015, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3.14 View Post
No, it isn't.

Freedom of speech does not mean that you can just say whatever you want whenever you want and everyone else just has to deal with it. Hate speech laws in the UK are about just that; hate. To be honest, I think we have become too PC, but these laws are written to protect the rights of people to live based on who they are without having to be preached at by some inbred delinquent (many American preachers come to mind, not to mention certain prominent people in American politics).

You really don't need to worry about it. I can assure you that the Queen's head on British currency is about the least thing cultural about London or the greater UK, now or ever.
Is Hate not a valid emotion? Also how can one define hate?

One mans critical observation is another mans hate.

For instance "sub-Saharan African culture is based upon superstition and consists of violent and torturous rituals like FGM"

Is my critical opinion, an African would likely consider it hateful

"Homosexuality is a sin and gay people burn in hell" is a position held by most religions: Catholics and Muslims included. To them it is simply repeating their doctrine and beliefs, to a homosexual that would likely be hateful

Old 05-03-2015, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Rubbish. Your opinion is YOUR opinion. Opinions like that are better off in ones head. What is the purpose of sharing such bile if not to purposely offend?
That's a slippery slope. The point of saying that would be to express how I feel, if I felt that way.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:

For instance "sub-Saharan African culture is based upon superstition and consists of violent and torturous rituals like FGM"

"Homosexuality is a sin and gay people burn in hell" is a position held by most religions: Catholics and Muslims included. To them it is simply repeating their doctrine and beliefs, to a homosexual that would likely be hateful

Hate is a reality. How it is expressed is what we are talking a about.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:19 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,472 times
Freedom of speech is about persuasion not incitement.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:

I am not sure how you could possibly be ok with that? if you really want to live in a free country then you should support the right for people to live how they want to. If YOU believe that being gay is wrong then don't be gay. Simple. But persecuting others, or promoting a society that persecutes others is nothing short of unacceptable.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:51 PM

969 posts, read 825,751 times
Quote:
I am not sure how you could possibly be ok with that? if you really want to live in a free country then you should support the right for people to live how they want to. If YOU believe that being gay is wrong then don't be gay. Simple. But persecuting others, or promoting a society that persecutes others is nothing short of unacceptable.
Do people in your country have the "freedom" to do class A drugs in their private lives?

Obviously not, because doing drugs is corrupting and self-destructive. And if a preacher was out in the streets condemning drug abuse as morally wrong, I doubt it'll provoke outrage about the "hatred" he has against people who want to live their lives how they want to.

Bottom line is, you don't live in a free country, by your own definition, so why have issue over other people who want to define their own boundaries of acceptable social conduct?

Last edited by CTDominion; 05-04-2015 at 01:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom