Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 11:04 PM

244 posts, read 362,028 times

Advertisements

I don't think it's all that crazy that there might be more German-Americans than English-Americans. Germans have been coming to the US for a very long time, and probably had more reason to migrate here than the English did. I've definetly felt it's always been about even in what is the dominant European ethnicity in the US between Germany and British (primarily English obviously).

Also, after a certain point, people will have little reason to identify themselves as English-American and would likely just consider themselves American. I mean if you've been in the US since the 7 Years War, it doesn't really make sense to say you're British.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 05:15 AM

16,665 posts, read 17,428,904 times
Interesting, but not surprising;

Ethnic Groups in Flux: The Changing Ethnic Responses of American Whites
STANLEY LIEBERSON
MARY C. WATERS
Abstract

As whites become increasingly distant in generations and time from their immigrant ancestors, the tendency to distort, or remember selectively, one's ethnic origins increases. Distortions and inconsistencies in ethnic reporting are shown to vary with age, educational attainment, and marital status and even to exist within families when parents report the ethnic ancestry of their children. These examples of inconsistency, simplification, and systematic distortion all demonstrate the flux of the ethnic categories among white Americans. It is concluded that ethnic categories are social phenomena that over the long run are constantly being redefined and reformulated.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:20 AM

16,665 posts, read 17,428,904 times
Can only find 1980 results, but German and English 'heritage' top the polls with Irish not far behind;

http://www.census.gov/population/www...1-10/tab03.pdf

Old 06-19-2015, 05:30 AM

586 posts, read 830,850 times
As an outsider () and knowing quite a few people from and having visited all the "anglosphere" countries I'd have to agree with those that opted for Australia.... particularly with regards to sense of humour.

Last edited by Mr Blue Sky; 06-19-2015 at 05:45 AM..

Old 06-19-2015, 12:48 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,297,725 times
Australia by far. Similar accent, Drives on Left Side of The Road, Food is Similar, and shared sports like Cricket and Rugby.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:04 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,993,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Interesting, but not surprising;

Ethnic Groups in Flux: The Changing Ethnic Responses of American Whites
STANLEY LIEBERSON
MARY C. WATERS
Abstract

As whites become increasingly distant in generations and time from their immigrant ancestors, the tendency to distort, or remember selectively, one's ethnic origins increases.
There is also intermarriage. There has been enough time for ancestry to become more and more mixed.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:50 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,091 times
Ohio is also full of people of German ancestry as Germans immigrated to Pennsylvania en masse and moved westward into Ohio.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:04 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,258,790 times
I don't know.. Alot of people are saying Australia but I think East coast America. Australia is about 25 hours flight on average - Boston is 6 hours.. Not really all that far away in the grand scheme of things.

The landscape and climate of Australia are also very foreign, I appreciate that America has lots of different ecosystems and environments but the climates are more similar there. The weather there also has a big influence on our climate.

Music - I listen to both American and British music, not really too many Australian shows. Although to be fair Kylie and Danny Are big here.

I haven't visited Australia but I will say their accents are VERY similar to English accents alongside humour.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
There's no way people of German ancestry outnumber people of British ancestry in the US.
I agree wholeheartedly. The American populace can't seem to write down their ancestry properly. The census doesn't seem to be very accurate at all.

It does not matter anyway. They are all American following one culture, I don't see too much evidence of German influence on the country, more British. The Germans and other cultures such as the Black Americans have adopted our surnames also.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I believe that. But, I'm from the Midwest. To me, anyways, when I see a 'Brown' or 'Johnson', they always seem to be the black guys. I don't meet many white guys with those names, in the North. I mean, they are around, of course, but not to the degree of other European names.

I think almost everyone in the Midwest has some German blood, whether they admit to it or not. During WWI & WWII, a lot of German-Americans really wanted to dissociate any connection with Germany whatsoever, so you suddenly found a lot of people completely ignoring or dismissing that heritage. They just began to call themselves 'Americans' and really shunned any label or connection whatsoever.

But, in the Midwest, people with German heritage is just about everyone. Not 100% of course, but at least 25%, sometimes 50%...I feel like just as many Irish as well. But a lot of Polish, Scandinavian, Dutch, etc throughout the Midwest as well.

I think a lot of Germans also emigrated to Texas. Hence, the blonds everywhere in Texas, just like everywhere in the Midwest.
I seen plenty of white people in Florida with those kind of names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom