Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 12:37 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,311,239 times

Advertisements

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace is hysterical, and by far the best british comedy i've seen.

So many quotable roll on the floor laughing moments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 06:50 PM

13 posts, read 50,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
Garth Marenghi's Darkplace is hysterical, and by far the best british comedy i've seen.

Yeah! I LOVED this one, thanks for reminding me. (But 'The Thick of It' is still the most sublime...)

Old 05-05-2008, 01:36 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:

Oh...was it SUPPOSED to look low-budget? I tried one episode of it, and it didn't enthrall me.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:28 PM

1,510 posts, read 5,067,803 times
Quote:
Yeah..Only 12 in all.
Well thats a shame. I just finished watching the last episode, which was absolutely hysterical.

I loved this series so much, I've ordered Monty Python and the Holy Grail (I've never seen it) on my Netflix Q.

I'm thinking of watching Waiting for God next. Sounds funny. Is it any good? I'm only watching the ones they have available for instant viewing on Netflix, which is a lot of the older ones.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:11 PM

539 posts, read 1,804,914 times
[Think(Freedom)- If you like British comedy, you'll love California. When the Word Cup was in Pasadena, all of the Irish,Scots, Welsh, English, (I can never really tell the difference) came out to the games. ]
OP- When I was a child my mom (mum) would make us watch PBS ( She was a bit of an Anglophile and thought that we should be exposed to anything seen as "upper-crust"). Not only are there a lot of great British comedies but dramas as well. Sometimes -from an American standpoint- it's hard to tell the difference. Did/do any American comedies translate in England? As to your original question- Black Adder, Red Dwarf, Monte Python,Mr Bean et.al. all are pretty standard viewing for highschool/college kids.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:50 AM
RH1 RH1 started this thread

1,160 posts, read 4,234,491 times
Quote:

I've never even heard of that! I'll have to look out for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think (Freedom) View Post
Well thats a shame. I just finished watching the last episode, which was absolutely hysterical.

I loved this series so much, I've ordered Monty Python and the Holy Grail (I've never seen it) on my Netflix Q.

I'm thinking of watching Waiting for God next. Sounds funny. Is it any good? I'm only watching the ones they have available for instant viewing on Netflix, which is a lot of the older ones.
I like Waiting for God - it's not laugh-out-loud funny (to me anyway) but it's certainly not rubbish - I'm quite happy to sit through it from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyblackjohn View Post
[Think(Freedom)- If you like British comedy, you'll love California. When the Word Cup was in Pasadena, all of the Irish,Scots, Welsh, English, (I can never really tell the difference) came out to the games. ]
OP- When I was a child my mom (mum) would make us watch PBS ( She was a bit of an Anglophile and thought that we should be exposed to anything seen as "upper-crust"). Not only are there a lot of great British comedies but dramas as well. Sometimes -from an American standpoint- it's hard to tell the difference. Did/do any American comedies translate in England? As to your original question- Black Adder, Red Dwarf, Monte Python,Mr Bean et.al. all are pretty standard viewing for highschool/college kids.
Interesting point about the line between comedy and drama! I think recent Dr Who is a good example - I'm sure it didn't used to be a comedy but it's certainly gone that way now...

That's a great selection you've listed there. I love Red Dwarf and Blackadder. And of course Python - it's timeless really.

We get loads of American comedies here - I think most of the "translate" although of course there are some references that aren't universal. Will and Grace is a great one for casually chucking in a gazillion incomprehensible references, especially in insults, but I love it anyway. Particular favourites (I'm going to forget them all now) are Scrubs (I can watch episode after episode), Friends (of course, sorry...) oh there are too many! 3rd rock from the sun, mad about you... I quite often watch Everybody Loves Raymond, King of Queens, King of the Hill, Grace Under Fire (love that southern accent)... I could go on...

Old 05-08-2008, 04:51 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,573,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyblackjohn View Post
Oh yeah, PBS does have like 2 hours of British Comedy every Saturday night. I think some of them are older shows though.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Really? Well that would be interesting. And I already love California anyway

I'll start watching Waiting for God later today...

I wish I had BBC and other British channels.. I'd probably only watch British programming. I have only basic cable though, doesnt include any of the good stuff.

Quote:
Oh yeah, PBS does have like 2 hours of British Comedy every Saturday night. I think some of them are older shows though.
I've seen Coupling and My Hero on PBS, and have also seen them play Rosemary and Thyme and I think Monarch of the Glen.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:07 PM

521 posts, read 1,473,288 times
I think there are a huge number of really great American shows. I've had arguments with people in the pub who have trotted out the tired old cliché about US television being crap. It certainly isn't IMHO.

Perhaps in the US you only get the best of British tv & we only get the best of yours, so the situation might appear to be better than it really is I suppose. American adverts seem a bit lacking though and whilst I'm at it, too many commercial breaks!

Old 05-08-2008, 05:09 PM

Well I'd agree with those people in the pub.. most American tv shows are crap. I've only just started watching TV again. There are very few worth watching (Lost, The Office - and we know of course, it isnt even original to the US).

Quote:
Perhaps in the US you only get the best of British tv & we only get the best of yours, so the situation might appear to be better than it really is I suppose.
Its possible. I dont know about BBC, because I dont get that channel like I said, but all the ones I've seen on PBS, I've loved. Maybe because they're new to me, and a different kind of humor... I dont know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom