Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 08:46 AM

965 posts, read 938,581 times

Advertisements

I am an American, but lived in England 4 years, and have been back many times. I picked up a few things, and one was tea with cream. I have it daily, it has replaced coffee for me for the most part.

The best I have found easy to get here is Yorkshire Gold. When visiting, my friends have PG Tips which I think is just ok.
Favorite brands?

Do any of you use lemon? Everyone in England that I knew gagged at that idea. Also, do any of you use sugar, if so how much? I only knew one person who took sugar (1 cube).

I was just on another thread about American sweet tea (iced), and there is some discussion in regards to how you guys drink tea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 08:50 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
Just like everything else everyone has their own way if they drink tea at all.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:15 AM

10,212 posts, read 17,867,035 times
I lived in England for 8 years and my husband is English. Everyone I knew in England took one or two sugars, and varying amounts of milk, not cream. We lived up north though, maybe it varies by location.

My husband had a few brands he liked in England, including PG Tips. Now we're in America, he's tried several brands and at the moment settled on Bigelow. I have IBS and caffeine causes abdominal pain for me but we discovered Bigelow makes a decafe version so I've been drinking that. I take two heaped teaspoons of sugar and a healthy dollop of milk.

My husband takes one non-heaped teaspoon of sugar and much less milk. He is really picky about his milk, he only wants a tiny amount. It's hard to get it right, he has to do it himself. He says the perfect tea should be the color of He-Man's skin, lol.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:19 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
I probably don't count as I'm American but my husband is English. I am sitting here drinking PG tips. Husband prefers coffee and he has it with a mountain of sugar and a lot of milk. If he drinks tea, it's PG tips--and he makes iced tea from it in summer.

As mentioned, everyone has their own preferences as to how they take their tea. Sure, there are supposedly proper methods like, lol, do you put the milk in first and then the tea? Or the tea and then the milk?

Old 09-01-2016, 09:29 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,060,755 times
Well, I'm having a cup of tea at the moment! I like Tetley (it's not too weak, and it's not too strong) and I drink their Decaf version, because I want to cut down on the caffeine, being an insomniac!

Anyway, so I get a tea bag, put the hot water in and let it stew for a bit, whilst I faff around with something else in the kitchen. Notice that I do not add milk at this time! Personally, I don't think a tea can stew properly in water plus milk.

I've got a couple of tea bag squeezers! Oh yes! They are like little tongs with holes in them, to squeeze your tea bag with. I also have a tea bag bin, to put my used tea bags in. You can then put these used tea bags in the food recycling bin, or in a compost bin in your garden.

So, now it's time to put the milk in - I use Soya Milk (yes, I'm fussy), because I don't like proper milk. I use Alpro, as it tastes nice and it doesn't separate when you pour it in. I never use cream, as I don't like the taste of that either, or lemon. And no sugar for me thanks, as I'm sweet enough already!

Old 09-01-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I probably don't count as I'm American but my husband is English. I am sitting here drinking PG tips. Husband prefers coffee and he has it with a mountain of sugar and a lot of milk. If he drinks tea, it's PG tips--and he makes iced tea from it in summer.

As mentioned, everyone has their own preferences as to how they take their tea. Sure, there are supposedly proper methods like, lol, do you put the milk in first and then the tea? Or the tea and then the milk?
There are people who put the milk in first? I thought that wasn't good because it cools the water down before it's had a chance to brew.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I lived in England for 8 years and my husband is English. Everyone I knew in England took one or two sugars, and varying amounts of milk, not cream. We lived up north though, maybe it varies by location.

My husband had a few brands he liked in England, including PG Tips. Now we're in America, he's tried several brands and at the moment settled on Bigelow. I have IBS and caffeine causes abdominal pain for me but we discovered Bigelow makes a decafe version so I've been drinking that. I take two heaped teaspoons of sugar and a healthy dollop of milk.

My husband takes one non-heaped teaspoon of sugar and much less milk. He is really picky about his milk, he only wants a tiny amount. It's hard to get it right, he has to do it himself. He says the perfect tea should be the color of He-Man's skin, lol.
That made me snort laughing! I 100% agree with the color of He-Mans skin, but I had never thought of it before thanks for the great laugh! I too have to make my own.
I think I decided I like half and half partially for the color it makes my tea since cream is now not the healthiest part of a diet.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
That made me snort laughing! I 100% agree with the color of He-Mans skin, but I had never thought of it before thanks for the great laugh! I too have to make my own.
I think I decided I like half and half partially for the color it makes my tea since cream is now not the healthiest part of a diet.
Lol, my husband is a funny guy but this one he did not come up with on his own, it's something a lot of people in England joke about:

Old 09-01-2016, 09:56 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,060,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Lol, my husband is a funny guy but this one he did not come up with on his own, it's something a lot of people in England joke about:
Lol! That is a great colour for a cup of tea actually! I usually keep an eye on the colour of my tea as it's stewing - there's a fine art to it. You could end up with it too weak or too strong, if you are not careful!

Old 09-01-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
Lol! That is a great colour for a cup of tea actually! I usually keep an eye on the colour of my tea as it's stewing - there's a fine art to it. You could end up with it too weak or too strong, if you are not careful!
Star10101 too true I err on too strong though every time. I'll add a little more half and half if I have to. But a weak cup of tea is not worth drinking.

I loved the He-man tea image, and already shared, thanks PA2UK!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom