Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 12:40 PM

2 posts, read 1,444 times

Advertisements

I'm glad we voted to get out of Europe. I personally as a Scot feel tied more to and have more affection for the US, Canada and Australia than any of the countries in the EU. We should be doing more trade with all the countries i just mentioned who all have great historical links with the UK. As for should you as an American care about Brexit? Well if i was American i wouldn't. But then again a lot of US citizens have family ties back to the UK from generations ago so... I feel Obama made a bad error in trying to intervene in the EU referendum. I think many people felt patronized that the President was trying to influence how folks would vote. The fact remains the US and the UK have always been and always will be very close as we have so much in common. But i look at Europe and i don't feel i have much in common with their cultures and histories through the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 01:23 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,552,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Personally I'm very hopeful it only strengthens ties between both the UK and the US

For both you and us

And you think that these ties will be one of co equals. If you are lucky the UK will be treated the way that Mexico currently is.

The UK, as part of the EU, had respect because the USA respected the many similarities between the two nations, and the fact that the UK was positioned to articulate these values in a continent which both Americans and the British often see as weird (and yes I mean the FRENCH).

But on its own. I guess maybe the USA will care for them they way a successful kid takes care of its ageing and declining mother. Because yes the UK is the Mother country for the USA, even if this makes Irish Americans angry.

Old 09-10-2016, 01:32 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,545,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
And you think that these ties will be one of co equals. If you are lucky the UK will be treated the way that Mexico currently is.

The UK, as part of the EU, had respect because the USA respected the many similarities between the two nations, and the fact that the UK was positioned to articulate these values in a continent which both Americans and the British often see as weird (and yes I mean the FRENCH).

But on its own. I guess maybe the USA will care for them they way a successful kid takes care of its ageing and declining mother. Because yes the UK is the Mother country for the USA, even if this makes Irish Americans angry.
The UK gets treated very well by the US and Americans in general IMO.

And it's mutual I'm sure

Old 09-10-2016, 01:47 PM

275 posts, read 185,934 times
it might increase the amount of British tourists in Florida or NY, once the Eu applies visas to the UK.
If I were in the eu's shoes, I would milk the captive market, add a few hundred quid to their visa application (which will have to include private medical insurance, no penal record and good financial standing), just enough to still make it cheaper than Florida or Dubai though. Where are they going to go for sun, sex and alcohol? North Africa, Turkey? lol

However they better behave better than in Southern Europe, laws are quite strict in the US, less tolerant of the mischiveous tourists

British travellers 'may need visas to travel throughout Europe'

Old 09-10-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
I looked at a web site regarding Brexit. It was commented that the country that leaves will have much more leverage in negotiations...if its options outside appear attractive.

In the immediate future, that would mean a large increase in UK/US trade-the USA is the individual country with the largest consumer market.

What does the UK have that the USA wants? Germany exports far more to the USA than does the UK. that might imply that the UK just lacks the means to export more, as clearly one cannot argue that Americans have a greater bias to Germany.

I just get the sense that too many English people just fail to understand that the UK is now a third rate power, just a few steps ahead of India and Brazil. It is NOT the global power that it once was. The only European country that might make that claim is Germany.

Old 09-10-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Prosperity through trade. Britain as a maritime trading country.

(.

Its 2016, not 1916. Germany is the only global economy in Europe. The rest are 3rd rate or worse, and that includes the UK.

Old 09-10-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
I think Obama was just trying to scare the Brits into voting to remain.

The majority of US politicians seem to think that stronger EU means more stable Europe and therefore more stable world.

).

Clearly suggesting that they respect the EU is a global force, and have little time for individual nations, aside from Germany.

Maybe the British should have taken the hint from Obama that the USA doesn't favor the UK as a stand alone nation, as it brings NO benefits to them.

Old 09-10-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nam2015 View Post
it might increase the amount of British tourists in Florida or NY,
British travellers 'may need visas to travel throughout Europe'

How? With a weakened pound the British are staying at home.

Old 09-10-2016, 02:03 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,998,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
The UK gets treated very well by the US and Americans in general IMO.

And it's mutual I'm sure
Except for the foreign policy elite. I understand that they think that British membership would "Thatcher-ize" the EU.

BTW, I suspect that said elite pushed Obama into making his anti-Brexit comment. Obama is said to take no interest in international affairs.

Old 09-10-2016, 02:08 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,545,599 times
Quote:
Except for the foreign policy elite. I understand that they think that British membership would "Thatcher-ize" the EU.

BTW, I suspect that said elite pushed Obama into making his anti-Brexit comment. Obama is said to take no interest in international affairs.
Possibly

To be honest Tim, I'm not one for politics as such but only go on what I see and hear on the street both from Londoners and Americans

Personally that's how I'd rather judge someone or even a country by, I'm sure it's laughable but I find it more rewarding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom