Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 09:35 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,406,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKEXPATMA View Post
i am a UK citizen With a USA visa & green card.
If by any chance you were born in one of the 7 countries that under the travel ban you could have a problem even as a UK citizen and American green-card holder. If not, you should not have any problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 10:51 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,667,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacey1 View Post
BUT! I will say this, a green card allows you to live and work in the USA. It is no guarantee of entry into the USA. They can refuse you entry if they wish.
I want to emphasize it once more. Green card is just a right to reside in USA, not an automatic right to leave and renter USA as they please. You can be denied entry for any reason and sometimes even if you are within the 6 month mark of being outside USA they can revoke the green card if they feel that you are using it as a travel convenience and not as a true immigrant settled in USA.

This happened to one of my colleague's father, a UK citizen who had green card but lived more often outside USA even though he made the visits to USA within the 6 month period. One fine day the immigration officer took away his green card at Atalanta Airport, stamped a a visitor visa in the UK passport and told him that should he wish, he can argue in front of a federal judge on why his green card should not have been cancelled.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:13 PM

123 posts, read 278,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
I want to emphasize it once more. Green card is just a right to reside in USA, not an automatic right to leave and renter USA as they please. You can be denied entry for any reason and sometimes even if you are within the 6 month mark of being outside USA they can revoke the green card if they feel that you are using it as a travel convenience and not as a true immigrant settled in USA.

This happened to one of my colleague's father, a UK citizen who had green card but lived more often outside USA even though he made the visits to USA within the 6 month period. One fine day the immigration officer took away his green card at Atalanta Airport, stamped a a visitor visa in the UK passport and told him that should he wish, he can argue in front of a federal judge on why his green card should not have been cancelled.
Yep! I agree with all of the above. At one time a had a bunch of properties in the UK and would travel back and forth a lot. Got pulled into secondary questioning a few times. That was another of a hint to get citizenship. If you think it's bad to be asked lots of questions just coming thru passport control. Wait until you are in the holding room with a bunch of people who of going to be refused entry. Swedish nannies and au pairs with no visa's and all other weird and wonderful people. It's a bit scary to be honest. I too was told a few times by immigration officers that a Green Card is no guarantee of entry.

USA immigration official's, they sure are a weird bunch, and not very polite!

Old 02-01-2017, 02:40 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacey1 View Post
Yep! I agree with all of the above. At one time a had a bunch of properties in the UK and would travel back and forth a lot. Got pulled into secondary questioning a few times. That was another of a hint to get citizenship. If you think it's bad to be asked lots of questions just coming thru passport control. Wait until you are in the holding room with a bunch of people who of going to be refused entry. Swedish nannies and au pairs with no visa's and all other weird and wonderful people. It's a bit scary to be honest. I too was told a few times by immigration officers that a Green Card is no guarantee of entry.

USA immigration official's, they sure are a weird bunch, and not very polite!
Immigration officials are like anyone else, there are good, bad, pleasant, grumpy, etc. etc.. It isn't an easy job and it can involve asking tough questions and giving tougher answers.

My own experience has generally been good. Last time we cleared US immigration in Dublin and the CBP officer could not have been more pleasant or more professional.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:23 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Immigration officials are like anyone else, there are good, bad, pleasant, grumpy, etc. etc.. It isn't an easy job and it can involve asking tough questions and giving tougher answers.

My own experience has generally been good. Last time we cleared US immigration in Dublin and the CBP officer could not have been more pleasant or more professional.

I was a greencard holder for a long time. I never had a bad experience. But I also made eye contact, smiled. Respected the process they had to work with. Just normal stuff.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:57 AM

89 posts, read 74,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post

That's probably because he was "stationed" in Dublin. The inspectors at JFK are quite unpleasant for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom