Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 01:41 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,925,140 times

Advertisements

So this week Unesco decided to award World Heritage status to the Lake District.

Unesco awards Lake District World Heritage site status - BBC News

Although it's a beautiful place, I'm surprised that it's the first UK national park to receive such an honour. In my opinion there's a whole bunch of places in Scotland more deserving of heritage status. Alongside Snowdonia in Wales, and even coastal areas of south-west England.

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 02:31 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Dorset and Devon coasts are already UNESCO sites, Cornwalls tin mining region is too.

The areas for designation have to apply, have the areas you think worthy applied, or already hold UNESCO designation?

Old 07-14-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Dorset and Devon coasts are already UNESCO sites, Cornwalls tin mining region is too.

The areas for designation have to apply, have the areas you think worthy applied, or already hold UNESCO designation?
I didn't know that, I thought the only other natural environment was the Giant's Causeway.

It's even more scandalous, I guess that England just has better PR muscle than Scotland or Wales. I know that the Cairngorms have applied in the past, and in all respect, they easily blow all of the aforementioned Unesco locations out of the water.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:37 PM

699 posts, read 369,002 times
The Cairngorms is the single most beautiful most wild part of the UK.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever96 View Post
I agree, stunning location. Lots of snow in winter too.

Old 07-15-2017, 04:34 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever96 View Post
I agree the highlands are hard to beat for beauty, there are of course other beautiful parts of the UK too, the Lake District is of course famous for its beauty, personally my favourite parts of the UK are the coastal area's and islands though and Cornwall is probably my favourite part of the whole country.

Old 07-15-2017, 05:52 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,275,727 times
Glen Coe, Scotland

Isle of Skye, Scotland

Lake District, England

Old 07-15-2017, 06:23 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,818,168 times
Scottish Highlands for me, then the Lake District. There are so many beautiful places in the UK though.

Old 07-15-2017, 06:23 AM

It would be nice to have some pictures on here. What's the policy? Do we have to provide a link and avoid copyright?

I've posted tonnes of pictures in the past and it's never seemed to cause a fuss.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:31 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
It would be nice to have some pictures on here. What's the policy? Do we have to provide a link and avoid copyright?

I've posted tonnes of pictures in the past and it's never seemed to cause a fuss.
As long as the picture presented does not violate copyright or other ToS you can post it. So your own pics, or, public domain images (for instance Wikimedia commons with an attribution) only. If you're not sure a picture is public domain, probably best you don't post it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom