Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2019, 07:14 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,129,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I think it's a fair point to wish the couple well and want their success. I too have been on that side of the fence, but the latest stunts of turning an international royal visit into a bitching session about the media, and passive aggressively expressing political opinion through visits with Democrats and spurning Republicans, has me wishing that Meghan would step up and join the royal family rather than have some delusional idea that she's going to modernize tradition.

The Queen modernized the Royal Family. Meghan did not. Meghan simply embarrasses the Royal Family.

Considering her position now I think she shouldn't be expressing political opinions about any political parties in any countries so if she's been doing that I'm not impressed about that. I won't make excuses but I also have to look at where she has come from and that it's a common national habit that she grew up with. She needs to forget about those old bad habits and past times from her past and adopt new habits that are more fitting to her position.

But considering all the lies and exaggerations being relayed through media I don't blame her for complaining about her treatment by the media at all. So many of them are such liars and harassing troublemakers. To give a most recent example: Right now, this week, some of the media is claiming that Kate is unexpectedly 3 months pregnant with a 4th child and that she's not suffering any morning sickness with this one, and further to that Meghan got all snappy, sarcastic and disgruntled when she heard the news. This is purported to be all according to an unofficial anonymous palace source - of course - but nothing official about a 4th pregnancy has actually been released from official sources. So why are the media releasing such unverified information? And why say anything about Meghan getting into a snit and trying to further force a wedge between both Duchesses? All that does is cause more speculation and trouble when in all likelihood none of the rumours are true.

Last edited by Zoisite; 11-19-2019 at 07:34 PM..

Old 11-19-2019, 08:42 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,422,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
Kate has not been perfect. Dress flying up in Australia, with no undies on! Sunbathing outside almost naked in France - very risky to do that, should have had more common sense. Spent several Christmases with her parents, and did not join the royal family. Has taken speech lessons to sound more posh. Starves herself to look skeletal. Never tried to be friendly to Meghan - shocked by her looks and her intelligence.
I always wondered if Kate was naturally thin or if she really does starve herself.

Old 11-19-2019, 09:32 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,096,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
That is something I consider to be a fair question so I'll answer it. The title of this thread was "how do Brits feel about Meghan Markle?" but it really could just as well have been "How do the citizens of the Commonwealth Nations feel about Meghan Markle?". That's because the Commonwealth nations all have a shared proprietary interest that America and other non-Commonwealth nations (and their citizens) don't have, and don't have any rights or entitlements to.

I call it having a proprietary interest because the Royals are something that the citizens of my country and those of the 16 other commonwealth nations are entitled to have a proprietary interest and claim on. The Royal Family is ours, it belongs to us, the current monarch and future monarchs and their families are OUR monarchs and families and we Commonwealth citizens are the only ones that are entitled to express approval or disapproval of our Royals. All others have no rights and entitlements to the Royals.

I noticed when this thread was first started and people from UK answered, they all expressed either approval or ambivalence but none expressed resentful disapproval or venom and most who were ambivalent were willing to at least give the benefit of any doubt and to wish good luck. The ambivalence might be out of loyalty or diplomacy, but whichever it was, none of them expressed the kind of resentment, criticism, bigotry, venom and desire for failure of the happy couple that arose from just a few ignorant and undiplomatic non-Commonwealth people out of the several other non-Commonwealth members who answered out of kind interest and generosity to express their own approval and good wishes to Meghan and Harry.

It is those ignorant and undiplomatic non-Commonwealth nobodies who expressed criticism, venom and a desire for failure, who mistakenly think they are "all that" and think that they have a right to express such opinions but don't ..... it is those kind of people who make me care even more than ever about MY monarch and MY monarch's family members. That care extends to any foreign non-Commonwealth members who may marry into the family and become members of it, and that includes my loyalty and defense of Meghan. Until she can prove without a doubt that she doesn't deserve the loyalty and defense of Commonwealthers she will continue to get it from me and I'll stand up for her against all unentitled non-Commonwealth interlopers, just as I'll stand up for my Queen and all others of her Royal Family, because they are my Royal Family too.

I would think you have a solid argument, EXCEPT that Meghan Markle is still an American citizen. Recent reports are that she plans to retain her American citizenship or become a dual citizen.

When she went to NY for the baby shower, the US State Department paid for her security detail. That comes out of taxpayer money. MM was not elected to any US office nor does she serve the US in any capacity. Having to pay for her vacation security is deeply offensive to me.

As an American citizen, I do indeed have a right to express my opinion. I have every right to criticize a fellow citizen who I am forced to pay for. In fact, my first amendment right guarantees me the freedom to do so.

If someone wants to refer to herself as "Her Royal Highness", then that same someone should not also be an American citizen. It is an anethma to everything America stands for and was founded upon. We are all equal here under the law; no one is royal nor elevated in status. The ideal of my country was to eliminate privilege based solely on birthright.

I am generally not enamoured by celebrity culture. That people like the Kardashians could be huge celebrities based on pretty much nothing but materialism is disturbing. However, I will say, they earned everything they have. No one handed it to them. And Kim Kardashian at least has causes she genuinely cares about. You will also rarely hear celebrities complaining about how hard their lives are, how relentless the media coverage, how they're just "existing."

I am not an "ignorant and undiplomatic non-Commonwealth nobody."
I am an American citizen, and guess what, Meghan Markle is no different from me and 300
million fellow citizens. Under the law, we are exactly the same.

She might be married to Harry but that means nothing under American law. She still has to pay taxes here too. (Wait for that bombshell to make the news soon.)

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 11-19-2019 at 10:19 PM..

Old 11-19-2019, 11:32 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,178,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I always wondered if Kate was naturally thin or if she really does starve herself.
I think that she is naturally thin, but after having children she seems very bony or maybe it is from having three children, some women's faces change with a more angular bony look while other women's faces plump up and accordingly their figures, more womanly.

Old 11-20-2019, 01:03 AM

7,490 posts, read 4,978,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
She has high metabolism and a more androgynous build.

Old 11-20-2019, 09:07 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,807,290 times
I read she did some kind of diet, like her sister to be that thin. If you look at her face and body when she was younger, she had some baby fat to her face. That’s more natural.

Old 11-20-2019, 07:48 PM

1,139 posts, read 466,860 times
In theory you are all the same over there calgirlinnc but in every day life you are not.

Old 11-20-2019, 08:39 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,096,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
In theory you are all the same over there calgirlinnc but in every day life you are not.
That's undoubtedly true. It is an ideal, however, that some of us still cling to and strive toward.

The point is, the next time someone tries to tell me that I'm a "lowly nobody" and I don't have the "right" to criticize my "betters"....

....like this is the 1300s and I'm a serf and I have to cower and grovel and so forth...I want it on record why I scoff at that notion.....

Especially because another American is involved.

Old 11-21-2019, 10:46 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,178,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
I would think you have a solid argument, EXCEPT that Meghan Markle is still an American citizen. Recent reports are that she plans to retain her American citizenship or become a dual citizen.

When she went to NY for the baby shower, the US State Department paid for her security detail. That comes out of taxpayer money. MM was not elected to any US office nor does she serve the US in any capacity. Having to pay for her vacation security is deeply offensive to me.

As an American citizen, I do indeed have a right to express my opinion. I have every right to criticize a fellow citizen who I am forced to pay for. In fact, my first amendment right guarantees me the freedom to do so.

If someone wants to refer to herself as "Her Royal Highness", then that same someone should not also be an American citizen. It is an anethma to everything America stands for and was founded upon. We are all equal here under the law; no one is royal nor elevated in status. The ideal of my country was to eliminate privilege based solely on birthright.

I am generally not enamoured by celebrity culture. That people like the Kardashians could be huge celebrities based on pretty much nothing but materialism is disturbing. However, I will say, they earned everything they have. No one handed it to them. And Kim Kardashian at least has causes she genuinely cares about. You will also rarely hear celebrities complaining about how hard their lives are, how relentless the media coverage, how they're just "existing."

I am not an "ignorant and undiplomatic non-Commonwealth nobody."
I am an American citizen, and guess what, Meghan Markle is no different from me and 300
million fellow citizens. Under the law, we are exactly the same.

She might be married to Harry but that means nothing under American law. She still has to pay taxes here too. (Wait for that bombshell to make the news soon.)
A friend from England once told me that in America people care less who your parents, grandparents were, well to a degree but where she was from a person's family matters a lot. It is a class system - you could be successful in your own right with a successful business, but people also judge your family background.

Is MM a HRH? I remember they took that away from Princess Diana. Even if that was bestowed on MM, I would think she would refuse or it would be better to refuse for the very reasons you mentioned. I know that Archie is supposed to be titled the Honorable, I think. No princely titles or dukedoms yet but they said the Queen will give him a title at some point.

Old 11-21-2019, 11:36 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,807,290 times
This a discussion board, everybody is entitled to express an opinion. You might not like our opinions but we still have the right. Don’t forget that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom