Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 01:34 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,513,412 times

Advertisements

Much has been made of the recovery of the two Russians and the Salisbury police officer who went to their aid.
Here's a very good primer with some facts that surprised me - like Salisbury District Hospital had the drugs and training for just such an event.

Myth busting: Why didn't the Skripals die on the spot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 06:00 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,277,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Much has been made of the recovery of the two Russians and the Salisbury police officer who went to their aid.
Here's a very good primer with some facts that surprised me - like Salisbury District Hospital had the drugs and training for just such an event.

Myth busting: Why didn't the Skripals die on the spot?
Not that surprising. Nerve agents are typically treated with atropine, it has a number of other uses (including during surgery to reduce salivation, and to treat bradycardia ). The side effect risk of using it prophylactically are very low (so low we were issued self injectors when entering chemical weapon suspected areas when I was British Army on top of being fully noddysuited [MOPP 4]). Salisbury is a relatively high agricultural region (and nerve agents act like organophosphates because they're a form of them atropine also treats organophosphate poisoning), and it's near the famous exercise area of Salisbury plain (and pretty much all RMC personnel are trained in the use of atropine for nerve agents).

Old 04-07-2018, 06:30 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,513,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Not that surprising. Nerve agents are typically treated with atropine, it has a number of other uses (including during surgery to reduce salivation, and to treat bradycardia ). The side effect risk of using it prophylactically are very low (so low we were issued self injectors when entering chemical weapon suspected areas when I was British Army on top of being fully noddysuited [MOPP 4]). Salisbury is a relatively high agricultural region (and nerve agents act like organophosphates because they're a form of them atropine also treats organophosphate poisoning), and it's near the famous exercise area of Salisbury plain (and pretty much all RMC personnel are trained in the use of atropine for nerve agents).
I know the area well ( the old man was ex-Army in Larkhill )
I thought it was a good article to correct a lot of misinformation doing the rounds.
Skripal was lucky to be re-housed where he was.

Old 04-07-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
I know the area well ( the old man was ex-Army in Larkhill )
I thought it was a good article to correct a lot of misinformation doing the rounds.
Skripal was lucky to be re-housed where he was.
Was he lucky...?

But yes, lots of things are inflated in the media to appear to not only cause instant immolation and death when catching a glimpse of it from 500 yards, but also extends to anyone who's ever met you and will cause cancer later in life. Most things won't do that, just sayin... your chances are normally pretty good if you survive the trip to an emergency room (or A&E), that's not to say stuff won't kill you, because enough water will kill you, but your chances are good.

Old 04-07-2018, 08:31 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,800,865 times
I read an article about the Skripal's pets not surviving. Two guinea pigs and a cat were lost. I'm sure they starved to death. The poor cat was in such bad shape that it had to be euthanized. I'm glad the Skripal's are going to be okay, but, I feel terrible for those poor animals dying a slow and agonizing death. I wish someone could have helped them as well.

Old 04-07-2018, 10:42 AM

26,783 posts, read 22,561,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I read an article about the Skripal's pets not surviving. Two guinea pigs and a cat were lost. I'm sure they starved to death. The poor cat was in such bad shape that it had to be euthanized. I'm glad the Skripal's are going to be okay, but, I feel terrible for those poor animals dying a slow and agonizing death. I wish someone could have helped them as well.
Why did they die?
The investigators didn't visit his house/apartment ( or wherever he lived) earlier?

Old 04-07-2018, 11:52 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,220,137 times
In the US Air Force we also had training on the autoinjectors. But, going by the training classes we had on chemical warfare and the G- and V-agents, I always thought that any exposure to nerve agents was invariably fatal if rapid treatment wasn't available. At least it's good to know that recovery is possible.

Old 04-07-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
In the US Air Force we also had training on the autoinjectors. But, going by the training classes we had on chemical warfare and the G- and V-agents, I always thought that any exposure to nerve agents was invariably fatal if rapid treatment wasn't available. At least it's good to know that recovery is possible.
Context is king.

They provide an auto injector for a reason, and its not a feel good totem. That said in a large scale military chemical strike, by the time you receive battlefield triage if you're exposed you're probably going to die (so the training was accurate in what they were training you for). However that may be several hours while the area is secured enough to get medevacs in there, that's more the actual issue.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:53 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,481,808 times
they are strong like bears

Old 04-08-2018, 02:09 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,561,271 times
I still don't understand why his pets died.
If someone is poisoned with something sinister like that, don't the investigators head straight to the house of the victim(s)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom