Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 11:24 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,215,987 times

Advertisements

I realize that this is a topic of concern in many countries around the world. But (to me, from the US) having protest marches in the UK over an (in this case) US political issue seems akin to having marches in New York City over the Brexit issue. Or am I way off base here?

Anti-gun protesters fall silent outside US embassy in London | Daily Mail Online

Old 03-25-2018, 11:39 AM

27,133 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
I realize that this is a topic of concern in many countries around the world. But (to me, from the US) having protest marches in the UK over an (in this case) US political issue seems akin to having marches in New York City over the Brexit issue. Or am I way off base here?

Anti-gun protesters fall silent outside US embassy in London | Daily Mail Online
There are 200,000 Americans living in the UK, the mahority of whom live in London, there are also lota of people from the US who come to study here, so the crowd may well have consisted of Americans.

There were also protests in 37 countries, so the UK was far from being the only one.

As for Brexit, the US President at the time Obama did sadly try to interfere.

Backlash after Barack Obama EU referendum intervention - BBC News

On a personal level I am sure Americans can decide on their own laws and indeed constitution and I have to wish to interfere in US Domestic politics.

Old 03-25-2018, 12:12 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:

London is full of Americans, I reckon they wanted to be part of it, perhaps its the young Americans that will finally do something about the archaic gun laws over there!

Old 03-25-2018, 12:37 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,736 times
Quote:

Apparently this is an issue which touched the hearts and lives of many citizens around the world, not just the UK and I see it as a revelation that as human beings we can offer our support for our 'fellow man' regardless of our nationalities and differences. Personally and as an American I am grateful for the outpouring; I applaud it and feel gratitude for the fervent support these American families received from the various populace worldwide and they have had loss of life as well.

Perhaps it is truly political and that is the only way to attempt to bring about a much needed change to a system which has shown unacceptable failure and inconsistencies throughout. There needs to be a dialogue and appropriate vetting and compromises made!

And really, what regular citizen or gun aficionado needs to have the ability to be armed as well as "any soldier would"). Without apologies, it is just unacceptable to me.

Groups gathered outside the U.S. embassies in Copenhagen, London and Stockholm; in London they shouted "gun-control now." In Tokyo, people gathered at Shibuya Crossing, holding signs with the names of people killed in mass shootings. In Frankfurt, a group walked down a street shouting, "No guns in our schools." In Sydney, a group of children held posters.

"These people do not understand that the Second Amendment means that a citizen can bear the same arms that an ordinary soldier would," he said.[/quote]

'People need to listen to us': Demonstrators gather around the US to protest gun violence | Brainerd Dispatch

Old 03-25-2018, 12:38 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
what kinds of guns can you buy in the UK?

Can you buy pistols?

Old 03-25-2018, 12:42 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
what kinds of guns can you buy in the UK?

Can you buy pistols?
You can buy a gun, join a gun club or go hunting, its just that guns are FAR better 'controlled', you can't wander around Tescos with a gun in your pocket...........and why would you?

Old 03-25-2018, 12:49 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
You can buy a gun, join a gun club or go hunting, its just that guns are FAR better 'controlled', you can't wander around Tescos with a gun in your pocket...........and why would you?
what are the differences with the US and UK? No concealed carry? Is there castle defense?

Old 03-25-2018, 01:32 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Never quite understood the protesting in a country the internal issue of another country. Yea, there are US citizens there, but if they want to protest, by all means, go fly to the US to do so.

Not even sure why they are protesting, seems just another "we do not like Trump" protest. These protests did not happen under Obama when mass shooting occurred, and I would be money they would not happen if Hillary was president.

Old 03-25-2018, 01:49 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,215,987 times
The "central figure" in all this is largely the AR-15 rifle, a semi-auto version of the military M16/M4 series rifles. The truth is that nobody, not even the Government, really knows how many are out there or where they are.

For instance, you bought an AR-15 in 1982 in Arizona. You shot a few rounds through it and then it sat in the back of your closet until 1986, when you used it as part of a trade for a motorcycle. The new owner gave it to his Uncle Otto in Minnesota for a birthday present. Uncle Otto really wasn't that into it, so he drove to his old Army buddy's son's college graduation in Vermont in 1989 and presented it to the son. And so on and so on...

Admittedly this is somewhat of an extreme example, but I'm guessing that it's fairly accurate in a lot of cases. In New York state, the so-called "SAFE" Act was passed. which required everyone that owned an AR-15 and various other firearms to register them within a prescribed time period or risk becoming a felon. The law was widely ignored and became somewhat of a laughingstock (especially by rural people).

In some instances, local Law Enforcement personnel have gone on record (and on TV, occasionally) saying that they'll simply refuse to enforce any gun-control related law that they deem to be unconstitutional. So you know they'll be re-elected in a landslide by the people in their jurisdiction.

Note that urban and rural populations often see this issue from very different viewpoints. If I'm a farmer in Burnt Tongue, New Mexico with a 0.0% crime rate, of course I don't see any logic in gun control. In Chicago, it's a different story.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:46 AM

27,133 posts, read 13,429,141 times
US Actor Josh Gadd was one of several hundred who gathered outside the US Embassy in London, whilst in Edinburgh many of the families of the Dunblane victims gathered.

Dunblane families join US gun law protest in Edinburgh - BBC News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom