Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 09:24 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That's an interesting bit of insight. He is my age too. (I used to have such a crush on him when I was a kid, lol.) I always felt sorry for him because he gave up whatever he wanted do so that he could become king. There had been scandals so he had to make sure that he didn't ever create another scandal, but as careful as he was, he created one of the worst scandals ever with Diana.

I used to wish he had just married Camilla when they were young. But his uncle had told him to sow his wild oats first. Bad advice, I think. We would have been spared listening to him tell her that he wanted to be a tampon. We would have been spared the embarrassment that Diana caused the family and the sorrow that she endured, not to mention her premature death.

By trying so hard to do everything the right way, he made a lot of people, including himself, very unhappy. I wish the Queen would step down and allow him to finally become king. sheeeesh, he's been out in the pasture long enough!
"Trying so hard to do everything the right way"...

Then he shouldn't have cheated on his wife, or with the wife of another man.

Charles is horribly selfish.

I do feel badly for his horrible childhood and the bullying he endured at school. But the choices he made as an adult are on him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 12:10 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
"Trying so hard to do everything the right way"...

Then he shouldn't have cheated on his wife, or with the wife of another man.

Charles is horribly selfish.

I do feel badly for his horrible childhood and the bullying he endured at school. But the choices he made as an adult are on him.
I dont think Charles is a bad person one bit..I think he was forced into a marriage with a much younger nice girl.. by his grandmother and Dianas grandmother who was the Queen mothers lady in waiting.. it was planned by them its said. and the man was then rushed into it all by his father too.. ..Remember then that girls who got a prince shouldnt have a past ..... it wasnt allowed and why Charles had to ditch some girlfriends he liked in the past..... Di fitted the bill.. young and innocent. they hardly knew each other before the wedding... and it seemed had nothing in common... Dont get me wrong, I was appalled by the Camilla thing too.. it was wrong.. should never have happened.. I do however think he did try at first with the marriage to Diana, in many photos they looked really loving and happy.....but Diana had her demons as well .. things even we werent told I think.. she could be very manipulative... but not taking it away from the lady, she was a wonderful mother to those boys.. so much so that it took any notice of Charles with his sons... he was airbrushed out a bit of their lives at that time... photographers zoomed in on Di with her boys all the time, was never him and it turns out hes a loving caring father who the boys adore..... We will never know the truth about what really all went on , Mistakes were made..by both who gave the television interviews. they should never have done that to those two young boys. that was selfish and cruel to put them through all that.. can you imagine what went on at school after their appearances on TV were aired, it was shocking and Diana used that to get her own back at the Royal family , it was cringworthy...... However the poor women died tragically as we all know... that should never have happened , I thought of her yesterday when the baby came out and Kate looked up I think to workers waving from offices.. and saw William look up to as he did in the Cathedral at his wedding hoping his mother can see her new grandchild.... She would have been so proud. but wonder how she would have shared with Carole Middleton... we ll never know... Charles to me never had much confidence at all. unlike his sister Anne.. who brims with it.. but hes showing now a different side to him and I love his passion for the environment.. and how he tackles some issues concerning it.. good for him... Wouldnt mind their money but to hell with what they have to do and put up with by us the public , the media and press.... Id have gone crazy long ago...........Good luck to him and his family..I like you Charles.. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/391953973793736018/

Old 04-24-2018, 02:31 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
All I know is from watching British shows on Netflix.
You didn't read the links I gaveyou? The British actually have (on average) BETTER teeth than Americans, or at least they are no worse, just because you saw something on an episode of the Simpsons doesn't make it true. Like I said you are simply quotting a bad stereotype, for your information the French don't all ride around on bicycles wearing beret's and a string of onions around their necks either.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:49 AM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Stereotyipical nonsense!:-

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.dca929db96e3

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/hea...concludes.html

Do yourself a favour change your 'superior' attitude or don't bother coming.
Right! The American obsession with teeth...

Old 04-24-2018, 05:02 AM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’m going in a few weeks, so I’ll ask. My opinion is that tradition trumps everything, and unless Charles dies young, which isnt likely, William will not be king for 20 years.
Dies young? That ship has sailed.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:50 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.â€" (set 4 days ago)

27,185 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PesachSeder View Post
In a way i feel sorry for Charles Windsor . He never had a mother- he had a monarch.
He was sent off to Gordonstoun Boarding School in Scotland at a young age, so only saw his parents during holidays.

The School was all about dicipline, with cross country runs every morning followed by a cold shower, Charles described it as "Colditz in kilts".

Gordonstoun - Wikipedia

Then it was off to Trinity College, Cambridge, where he read Anthropology, Archaeology, and History before a sting in the RAF and Royal Navy, where he trained as a helicopter and jet pilot and served on a number of frigates and destroyers before taking commanded of al minehunter. He then went on to carry out his Royal Duties and to head a number of charities and organisations such as the Prine's Trust which helps offer opportunities to young people from deprived areas.

Last edited by Brave New World; 04-24-2018 at 07:02 AM..

Old 04-25-2018, 08:48 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,024,118 times
Charles is an idiot. He also has a strong sense of entitlement, involving himself in planning processes, and using his influence to sway things his way. Totally outside his remit.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:35 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I dont think Charles is a bad person one bit..I think he was forced into a marriage with a much younger nice girl.. by his grandmother and Dianas grandmother who was the Queen mothers lady in waiting.. it was planned by them its said. and the man was then rushed into it all by his father too.. ..Remember then that girls who got a prince shouldnt have a past ..... it wasnt allowed and why Charles had to ditch some girlfriends he liked in the past..... Di fitted the bill.. young and innocent. they hardly knew each other before the wedding... and it seemed had nothing in common... Dont get me wrong, I was appalled by the Camilla thing too.. it was wrong.. should never have happened.. I do however think he did try at first with the marriage to Diana, in many photos they looked really loving and happy.....but Diana had her demons as well .. things even we werent told I think.. she could be very manipulative... but not taking it away from the lady, she was a wonderful mother to those boys.. so much so that it took any notice of Charles with his sons... he was airbrushed out a bit of their lives at that time... photographers zoomed in on Di with her boys all the time, was never him and it turns out hes a loving caring father who the boys adore..... We will never know the truth about what really all went on , Mistakes were made..by both who gave the television interviews. they should never have done that to those two young boys. that was selfish and cruel to put them through all that.. can you imagine what went on at school after their appearances on TV were aired, it was shocking and Diana used that to get her own back at the Royal family , it was cringworthy...... However the poor women died tragically as we all know... that should never have happened , I thought of her yesterday when the baby came out and Kate looked up I think to workers waving from offices.. and saw William look up to as he did in the Cathedral at his wedding hoping his mother can see her new grandchild.... She would have been so proud. but wonder how she would have shared with Carole Middleton... we ll never know... Charles to me never had much confidence at all. unlike his sister Anne.. who brims with it.. but hes showing now a different side to him and I love his passion for the environment.. and how he tackles some issues concerning it.. good for him... Wouldnt mind their money but to hell with what they have to do and put up with by us the public , the media and press.... Id have gone crazy long ago...........Good luck to him and his family..I like you Charles.. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/391953973793736018/
Thanks. Now I don't have to try to write it because you did, and you did it better.

He had a terrible childhood, a cold and critical father, and was forced to marry someone he didn't love. That was supposed to be the right thing to do. And, after all, he absolutely HAD to avoid scandal. A royal scandal was still fresh in people's minds (Edward abdicating to marry "the woman I love.")

He did try to love Diana at first, I think. He and Camilla seem to have agreed to remain friends because Charles had to do what he had to do. He seemed resigned to it. But Diana was too immature and they didn't share many interests in common. He was a good father and even tried to give up some of his royal responsibilities to stay home with the kids but he was not allowed to do so.

So while he was working, Diana was getting all the media attention with pictures of her and the kids without Charles. I don't think she was very supportive of him. She didn't get to have him stay home with her so she tried to outdo him by becoming the perfect parent. She didn't want to take on her royal responsibilities and rebelled at having to do things that were expected of royalty. And she knew beforehand that she was marrying royalty and that there would be responsibilities. Yet she acted like a spoilt child. She would throw herself on the floor and scream (something like that) until people came running to rescue her--that sort of childish tantrum. Charles got fed up with that behavior.

Maybe he shouldn't have cheated on her but I don't blame him. She was a great mother but she was not a good wife to him. Maybe if she had been older at the time, more grown up, but she married too young. That was how it had to be because the royal family deemed it proper that he marry a virgin.

Following the royal family is like watching a soap opera. A pretty good soap opera that is REAL. They can hide some things, but they can't hide everything. All in all, I think Charles is a good person. Someone who tried to do everything right and still messed up anyway. Being royal is what messed him up--their stupid rules--if he had been allowed to marry someone he cared about in the first place, the Diana fiasco never would have happened.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:46 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Given his parent's and the Queen Mum's longevity, Charles could live another 20 years or more.

But does anyone think about the possibility of him dying before QE2? The possibility of him never becoming king after waiting so long?

Old 04-25-2018, 09:57 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Have fun! My favorite place to go, not that I get the chance very often.

My husband is British and he's always saying that Prince Charles has done a lot for England. It has to do with the environment and preserving historic architecture when the PTB would try to demolish nice old buildings to put up some cheap ugly junk.

But mostly he and the other Brits I know practically wish the monarchy would go away. It takes a lot of taxpayer money. We, on the other side of the pond, make a lot out of it but the Brits seem to mostly find them irritating.
Hard to believe the latter given all the attention given to the Queen's Diamond Jubilee or the yearly Trooping of the Color.

Brits tried to get rid of the monarchy before. That didn't turn out very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom