Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2018, 02:03 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times

Advertisements

Hi, all. This question may seem silly, but before my last trip to the UK, I bought a converter that said it worked in the UK -- but it ONLY worked with "shaver" outlets in the bathroom. So I want to make sure this will work.

I think if it works in the UK it will work in France as well? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 02:19 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,182 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Hi, all. This question may seem silly, but before my last trip to the UK, I bought a converter that said it worked in the UK -- but it ONLY worked with "shaver" outlets in the bathroom. So I want to make sure this will work.

I think if it works in the UK it will work in France as well? Thanks in advance!
Shaver power points in UK Hotels are generally low voltage, you can have sockets in UK bathrooms but the regulations state they they must be fitted at least three metres from the bath or shower, which means you would need a fairly large bathroom. Shaver sockets with are reduced to 110v can be used in a closer proximity, or what is known as zone 2 in electrical terms. They may power a shaver, electric toothbrush or other small appliance but they will not work in relation to larger electric appliances.

Bathroom Safety & Electricals | Electrical Safety First

Electrical Safety in the Bathroom | VictoriaPlum.com

Fitting an Electrical Shaver Point | How to Fit a Shaving Socket | DIY Doctor.

As for working in France, I wouldn't be so sure as European countries, and indeed the whole world has a diverse number of plugs, sockets and mains electricity.

Mains electricity by country - Wikipedia

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-02-2018 at 02:29 AM..

Old 06-02-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Shaver power points in UK Hotels are generally low voltage, you can have sockets in UK bathrooms but the regulations state they they must be fitted at least three metres from the bath or shower, which means you would need a fairly large bathroom. Shaver sockets with are reduced to 110v can be used in a closer proximity, or what is known as zone 2 in electrical terms. They may power a shaver, electric toothbrush or other small appliance but they will not work in relation to larger electric appliances.

Bathroom Safety & Electricals | Electrical Safety First

Electrical Safety in the Bathroom | VictoriaPlum.com

Fitting an Electrical Shaver Point | How to Fit a Shaving Socket | DIY Doctor.

As for working in France, I wouldn't be so sure as European countries, and indeed the whole world has a diverse number of plugs, sockets and mains electricity.

Mains electricity by country - Wikipedia
Thanks for your reply (I really appreciate the links), but can you please take a look at the 3 plugs in the photo in the OP and tell me if one of them is the kind that would work in the UK? The 2-pronged end of the cord in the photo looks like what was on my previous converter (the one that only worked in shaver outlets) -- this time, I want to make sure that I'll be able to plug in a little white noise machine that I always use in hotels. (I had it with me last trip too and luckily brought extra batteries for it, since its cord was nowhere near long enough to stretch to the bathroom!)

I THINK that the 3 plugs in the picture fit that cord, then I would just plug in my noise machine to one of the 3 U.S. "outlets" that are on the main unit. The 3 different plugs are supposed to make the converter work in dozens of countries -- is SUPPOSED to include the UK and most of the rest of Europe too, but I don't know which plug goes with which country.

Old 06-02-2018, 08:56 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,908,225 times
Hi Karen,
could you post a link to the page which describes the adapter (with specification hopefully!) and another link to the page which describes the item(s) you want to use with it. Can't really tell much from the photograph.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brontosaurus View Post
Hi Karen,
could you post a link to the page which describes the adapter (with specification hopefully!) and another link to the page which describes the item(s) you want to use with it. Can't really tell much from the photograph.
Sorry, should have done that to start with! Here's the link: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E140XWA/ . It SAYS it will work in the UK but the other one I bought said it would too and it didn't, so I thought I'd ask someone in the country!

But I'm curious, you can't just tell from the photo of the plugs whether they would fit a regular UK outlet? I can tell which plugs fit U.S. outlets, I think!

Old 06-02-2018, 11:41 AM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Sorry, should have done that to start with! Here's the link: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E140XWA/ . It SAYS it will work in the UK but the other one I bought said it would too and it didn't, so I thought I'd ask someone in the country!

But I'm curious, you can't just tell from the photo of the plugs whether they would fit a regular UK outlet? I can tell which plugs fit U.S. outlets, I think!
The UK plug is the one on the left in your picture

IEC - World Plugs: Plug Type G

France does not use any adapters shown in pic. It appears to use the 2 pin cord plug as-is without an adapter .

IEC - World Plugs: Plug Type E

Old 06-02-2018, 01:09 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,908,225 times
Ok, so it says 200 Watts output so it should be fine for anything that uses less than that. A white noise machine probably only uses a few Watts unless it also makes the tea!

Old 06-03-2018, 03:18 AM

Default thank you both!

Thank you both for replying -- you have reassured me and I will buy that item! My trip starts 4 weeks from today ... I hope it's a good one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom