Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 12:11 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,165,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
Presbyterianism is much stricter than Catholicism, it's just so few Scots practice it, hardly anyone notices the tenets of the faith

Go to America and those hardcore religious Conservatives are rarely Catholic

The Catholic religion is centralised and thus can appear hierarchical and authoritarian but Islam is decentralised yet no one would claim its not strict?

I attended Mass until I was twenty one and never once remember a fire and brimstone sermon of the kind the late Doctor paisley was famous for

In a way you are right and yes Paisley was a 'blood and thunder' preacher. However, I think the RC church has a more violent history behind it and in its own way more stricter than the Protestant faith. A Catholic can go to confession and be forgiven it's not so for a Protestant.

There was a case here where a couple were two-timing their husband and wife and having an 'affair'. They decided to murder their respective partners and did so. They were members of a Baptist Church and as time passed they could not live with what they had done. The husband finally went to his church and told the elders knowing that they would go to the authorities and inform them and that's what happened. They are both now in jail serving out their sentences.

Would this happen in the RC church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2019, 12:30 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
In a way you are right and yes Paisley was a 'blood and thunder' preacher. However, I think the RC church has a more violent history behind it and in its own way more stricter than the Protestant faith. A Catholic can go to confession and be forgiven it's not so for a Protestant.

There was a case here where a couple were two-timing their husband and wife and having an 'affair'. They decided to murder their respective partners and did so. They were members of a Baptist Church and as time passed they could not live with what they had done. The husband finally went to his church and told the elders knowing that they would go to the authorities and inform them and that's what happened. They are both now in jail serving out their sentences.

Would this happen in the RC church.
It's an interesting scenario to consider, as far as I know, a Catholic priest cannot keep quiet about heinous crimes including child abuse anymore, I mean in sofar as cannon law is suoerceded by state law, the protestant philosophy is overall more private conscience orientated and I see this as both a plus and negative, I don't think the difference is anywhere as great these days but thinking for oneself was certainly less encouraged in Catholic societies compared to protestant ones, I think it might be why so many more Catholic nations succumbed to communism though it was certainly not all down to that

On a negative front, such is the decentralised nature of protestantism, many denominations in the likes of the usa are plain nutty, when anyone can set up a church and all that's required is you read from the bible, the difference between denominations can be stark, seems to be a particularly American thing where Christianity is a big business and you wonder has the loose unstructured nature of protestantism allowed this sort of free for all interpretation

Then again no one knows what the full truth is, personally I don't for a second believe Catholicism has but I don't think it's any less off target than Lutheranism, Presbyterianism etc

The institution of the Catholic Church is far weaker today than at any time, it only has soft power, its still a huge beuracracy of course so I can see how protestant Christians see that as a barrier to a personal relationship with jesus, my mother has no time for the institution but has deep faith so in truth she might as well be a Protestant, she never confided in a priest in her life

Old 03-09-2019, 12:51 PM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Quote:
Presbyterianism is much stricter than Catholicism, it's just so few Scots practice it, hardly anyone notices the tenets of the faith

Go to America and those hardcore religious Conservatives are rarely Catholic

The Catholic religion is centralised and thus can appear hierarchical and authoritarian but Islam is decentralised yet no one would claim its not strict?

I attended Mass until I was twenty one and never once remember a fire and brimstone sermon of the kind the late Doctor paisley was famous for
Not interested in any of the religions .. to me they all breed all the wrong things and no one should live in the fear of any god... so no its not for me ever.......I was sent to church and Sunday school, and it bored me to tears.. thankfully the Scottish Presbyterian one I went to in London road Glasgow had nothing like you say.....maybe over in the US its different and I cant talk for them.. but Ive been to Catholic services over the years with friends and their over the top and again boring. it just a palavar of communion. confessions and collections.. and although my granny was Catholic I would never become one for any reason... All they seem to want is money from their churchgoers... and Ive seen it first hand, even a mother left on her own with five children still got a wee brown envelope to put money in for the church.. are they not supposed to help people in need.. and not take from them... If she didnt give to the priest when he came to her door he would go into a tirade........ Paisley was a one off thankfully , I had no time for him...I had never heard any minister carry on like the man.....

Old 03-09-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Not interested in any of the religions .. to me they all breed all the wrong things and no one should live in the fear of any god... so no its not for me ever.......I was sent to church and Sunday school, and it bored me to tears.. thankfully the Scottish Presbyterian one I went to in London road Glasgow had nothing like you say.....maybe over in the US its different and I cant talk for them.. but Ive been to Catholic services over the years with friends and their over the top and again boring. it just a palavar of communion. confessions and collections.. and although my granny was Catholic I would never become one for any reason... All they seem to want is money from their churchgoers... and Ive seen it first hand, even a mother left on her own with five children still got a wee brown envelope to put money in for the church.. are they not supposed to help people in need.. and not take from them... If she didnt give to the priest when he came to her door he would go into a tirade........ Paisley was a one off thankfully , I had no time for him...I had never heard any minister carry on like the man.....
Well the reverend doctor paisley would have been quite similar to the charismatic preachers of the American South, the man knew his bible but perhaps was not a typical example of Presbyterianism

The Catholic mass is short on sermon and long on various rituals, I haven't been in years as I had a period where the whole concept of God stopped making sense, I think I'm culturally quite religious though, I prefer church going Conservative people to liberals, complete contradiction but I can't believe in God but think it's a good thing for most people

People of faith are happier and usually more solid citizens in my opinion

Old 03-09-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
It's an interesting scenario to consider, as far as I know, a Catholic priest cannot keep quiet about heinous crimes including child abuse anymore, I mean in sofar as cannon law is suoerceded by state law, the protestant philosophy is overall more private conscience orientated and I see this as both a plus and negative, I don't think the difference is anywhere as great these days but thinking for oneself was certainly less encouraged in Catholic societies compared to protestant ones, I think it might be why so many more Catholic nations succumbed to communism though it was certainly not all down to that

On a negative front, such is the decentralised nature of protestantism, many denominations in the likes of the usa are plain nutty, when anyone can set up a church and all that's required is you read from the bible, the difference between denominations can be stark, seems to be a particularly American thing where Christianity is a big business and you wonder has the loose unstructured nature of protestantism allowed this sort of free for all interpretation

Then again no one knows what the full truth is, personally I don't for a second believe Catholicism has but I don't think it's any less off target than Lutheranism, Presbyterianism etc

The institution of the Catholic Church is far weaker today than at any time, it only has soft power, its still a huge beuracracy of course so I can see how protestant Christians see that as a barrier to a personal relationship with jesus, my mother has no time for the institution but has deep faith so in truth she might as well be a Protestant, she never confided in a priest in her life

Protestantism did give people the right to think for themselves. There was a plus and minus side to this. As already said they could think for themselves. The minus side was that it brought division and you have mentioned the various churches in America this was also the case in Ulster. An area I'm familiar with has 9 churches and you could throw a stone from one to the other. It was born with the Reformation. A German prince frustrated with these differences got hold of Luther and Zwingle kept them in his castle and told them to sort out one particular difference. ...The Lord's Supper/The Mass.

It was how these were perceived. Was the body and blood of Christ in the bread ..transubstantiation or was it just a representation. After two weeks they could come to no agreement and that is the way it has been ever since.

Old 03-09-2019, 01:39 PM

Getting back to marriage and the children. I think I have already posted about Fethard-On-Sea. This is another case which happened in Belfast many years ago.

How a mother's children were taken away forever

7 November 2010

On Easter Sunday in 1908, the Catholic Church's Ne Temere ruling came into force.
It meant the Catholic Church would not recognise a marriage between a Protestant and a Catholic unless it took place in a Catholic church. It also decreed children from the marriage must be brought up as Catholics.

In the BBC Radio Ulster documentary, Mixing Marriages, reporter Barbara Collins looks at the effect the Ne Temere ruling had on one family 100 years ago. She tells BBC News Online why she wanted to make the programme.

I had never heard of the Ne Temere decree before I started working on this documentary, and I certainly had no idea of its impact on the Home Rule movement.
But what attracted me to this programme was the harrowing story of a young mother, 100 years ago, desperately searching the streets of Belfast for her two babies.

Her children had been taken by her Catholic husband because she, as a Presbyterian, refused to comply with the Vatican decree to remarry in a Catholic church and bring the children up in that faith.

As a mother of a 20-month-old boy, I could imagine how utterly devastating it must have been for her to lose those dearest to her at such a tender age, and for it to happen at the hands of the man she had once loved.
Agnes McCann's name became known the length and breadth of Ireland and beyond.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-11705764

Old 03-09-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
Protestantism did give people the right to think for themselves. There was a plus and minus side to this. As already said they could think for themselves. The minus side was that it brought division and you have mentioned the various churches in America this was also the case in Ulster. An area I'm familiar with has 9 churches and you could throw a stone from one to the other. It was born with the Reformation. A German prince frustrated with these differences got hold of Luther and Zwingle kept them in his castle and told them to sort out one particular difference. ...The Lord's Supper/The Mass.

It was how these were perceived. Was the body and blood of Christ in the bread ..transubstantiation or was it just a representation. After two weeks they could come to no agreement and that is the way it has been ever since.
I never cared about the minutia detail surrounding the whole body of christ thing, its probably as silly as countless other quirks in religion like how Muslims get upset at the showing of pictures of the prophet

It clearly annoys some protestant clergymen however, as theology is not my area of expertise, I won't criticise those who see this as blasphemy

Old 03-09-2019, 06:11 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,480,492 times
Quote:
What a comical question

its a yes or no question

Old 03-10-2019, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
its a yes or no question
I'm not a creationist and don't know what I said to give that impression

Old 03-10-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
I never cared about the minutia detail surrounding the whole body of christ thing, its probably as silly as countless other quirks in religion like how Muslims get upset at the showing of pictures of the prophet

It clearly annoys some protestant clergymen however, as theology is not my area of expertise, I won't criticise those who see this as blasphemy

I believe a lot of the rigmarole carried out by the RC church and the high COE in their churches was carried over from the pagans. Some people need these displays and perhaps it gives a sense of mystery. But if people need this so be it they are doing no harm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom