Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 03:02 AM

93 posts, read 84,224 times

Advertisements

Why does it seem commonplace that most homes in the UK don't come with screens of any kind? I'm referring to screens over the windows and a screen door for the back. Here in the States, they are simply a part of any home.

I have a few friends in the UK, and you can rely on them mentioning the bugs or spiders that are in the house. When I ask if they have screens, they all say no. I've checked online and it appears there are screen companies in the UK, but they seem to only be a small niche in the marketplace.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:45 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,589,947 times
Most of the UK doesn't have many insects flying around in summer, though if you live in the south and leave your windows open in the evening, the room will be full of moths, mosquitoes, various other flies fairly quickly.

Old 06-20-2017, 04:02 AM

27,134 posts, read 13,429,141 times
The UK generally has a temperate oceanic climate, and this is not conducive to a lot of insects.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:16 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
I'll admit that window screens are practically rather useful, but I could never explain to my American friends how ugly and oppressive they are: they give a house, and actually whole streets a closed and unwelcoming look, almost like bars, and they kill daylight in a house more efficiently than anything, I think.
In Europe lots of people have transparent net (sheer) curtains that work great as a bug screen, as well as allowing those inside to see out while not letting outsiders see in (in daylight). Those are beautiful, and washed frequently giving the windows a crispy, clean look. They also love to open the windows and let the fresh air in. I don't see much of it in the States where windows tend to be sealed, and people rely on A/C and air fresheners even in cooler weather.
Most Americans never clean their windows, most likely because of the screens. At least, I never saw anyone doing it, except sometimes on professional buildings.
Another unwelcoming and oppressive thing are window blinds. They are always closed. Wonder why even bother to have windows...

Last edited by elnina; 06-20-2017 at 06:04 AM..

Old 06-20-2017, 05:26 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The UK generally has a temperate oceanic climate, and this is not conducive to a lot of insects.
You should try going to the highlands in the Summer months, in places the midges are so numerous its like walking through a fog. :-)

Old 06-20-2017, 07:59 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Most of the UK doesn't have many insects flying around in summer, though if you live in the south and leave your windows open in the evening, the room will be full of moths, mosquitoes, various other flies fairly quickly.
so why not have screens?

Old 06-20-2017, 08:01 AM

699 posts, read 368,503 times
When I was in Saint Lucia they had those screens over the windows. Over here we just don't have the same amount as insects..

Old 06-20-2017, 08:19 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,424,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever96 View Post
When I was in Saint Lucia they had those screens over the windows. Over here we just don't have the same amount as insects..
My windows have been open all day because it's so hot. Two in the lounge, one in the kitchen, one at the top of the stairs, and one each in the toilet and bathroom....... oh, and our bedroom window.

No bugs flying round in the house.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:31 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
It's true that in some parts of the US, people rarely open their windows (my sister remarked on this when she moved to Oklahoma; because of the wretched climate, either the heat or the a/c is ALWAYS on), but we open them all the time in California and there are very few bugs here. I appreciate the screens because they keep my cats from walking straight out the windows.

We also use blinds to keep the light and heat out at certain times of the day. They are constantly being adjusted as the sun moves. Probably in the UK, bright direct sunlight is not as much of a problem. Never thought of blinds as oppressive; curtains thick enough to block the sun would be much more oppressive.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:31 AM

699 posts, read 368,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
My windows have been open all day because it's so hot. Two in the lounge, one in the kitchen, one at the top of the stairs, and one each in the toilet and bathroom....... oh, and our bedroom window.

No bugs flying round in the house.
Last year anytime I opened the window wasps will fly in I suspect there was a wasp nest nearby. But this year I've got the windows open (all of them) and not one insect in here..

Saint Lucia - open a window just a crack and nightmares will fly in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom