Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 09:44 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacreature99 View Post
True. I didn't even realise Scots had a problem with England until I befriended a Scottish bloke who just went on and on and on and on about it. Then I visited and got more of the same from pretty much everyone north of the border. You could be happily talking about something totally unrelated and Scots would manage to turn the conversation into something about England.
Many Scots have a huge chip on their shoulder when it comes to England. Anything bad that happens to Scotland is usually blamed, somehow, on England. At the core of the independence movement is the idea that everything will be okay if we can just escape from the clutches of the English.

It is so ingrained in the Scottish psyche that most of them do not even realise they are doing it. When they get called out on it they usually retort that the English do it too .... which from my experience is a long way from the truth.

There is a curious hypocrisy in Scotland in this area too. While there is a great wailing and gnashing of teeth over 'sectarianism' and anti-Irishness yet the same people see nothing wrong in being anti-English. You get it in the media and you get it from politicians. In fact, the SNP justice minister actually managed to get himself arrested for being drunk and disorderly at a Scotland v England football match. It did not hurt his career.

The above does not mean that Scots will be unpleasant to you at a personal level. They will complain about England and the English in general rather than about you as an individual.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:43 PM

489 posts, read 1,192,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Many Scots have a huge chip on their shoulder when it comes to England. Anything bad that happens to Scotland is usually blamed, somehow, on England. At the core of the independence movement is the idea that everything will be okay if we can just escape from the clutches of the English.

It is so ingrained in the Scottish psyche that most of them do not even realise they are doing it. When they get called out on it they usually retort that the English do it too .... which from my experience is a long way from the truth.

There is a curious hypocrisy in Scotland in this area too. While there is a great wailing and gnashing of teeth over 'sectarianism' and anti-Irishness yet the same people see nothing wrong in being anti-English. You get it in the media and you get it from politicians. In fact, the SNP justice minister actually managed to get himself arrested for being drunk and disorderly at a Scotland v England football match. It did not hurt his career.

The above does not mean that Scots will be unpleasant to you at a personal level. They will complain about England and the English in general rather than about you as an individual.
Us Scots are well balanced we have chips on both shoulders.I hope you'r wife gives you a good clout on the lug for writing that.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:01 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
Scotland is chilly.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:45 PM

2 posts, read 2,003 times
I have a question. I'm looking at writing a novel, and part of it takes place in Scotland. My only problem is I've never been there, and funds are tight right now. So, I was hoping someone could describe it to me. The reason I ask is because, I want to make sure I write about it correctly. This way I don't insult anyone. I hope my asking doesn't insult anyone, but I can't see what it looks like. So, I'm hoping that whoever can help me describes it in a way that I can see it clearly in my mind. I know what I ask for is a lot, but as I said. I would like to get it right so as not to insult, or anger anyone.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:14 PM

4,709 posts, read 5,064,550 times
I would dislike living in Scotland. The place divided by this Catholic and Protestant nonsense. Awful.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:16 PM

16,671 posts, read 17,435,450 times
So, to be clear, you are looking to write a novel, part of which is set in a place that you haven't been to, and in order to fill in the gaps you are looking to get that info from people who you have no idea about and whether their info will be accurate or not.

Actually Jack Higgins made millions by writing BS that was inaccurate and poorly researched, so good luck!

Old 04-03-2014, 06:41 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
I would dislike living in Scotland. The place divided by this Catholic and Protestant nonsense. Awful.
Yawn

Get up to date.

Anyhoo no loss you not being here.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:40 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGail View Post
........I want to make sure I write about it correctly. .......
Go to U-tube and search for videos of Scotland. That will let you see what there is to be seen. There are probably travel shows about Scotland, too.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:30 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,870 times
I like Haggis. It's lovely with brown sauce.

That's my contribution to this thread.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:41 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
No, it's the third world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom