Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 12:30 AM

715 posts, read 2,087,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17271 View Post
I live in the U.S. and it seems everything is going downhill right before our eyes. Mass illegal immigration invasion, bad economy, no one on the same page, etc. This country is really becoming a bad place to live. I was wondering if Scotland is any better.
Someone needs a reality check. Go live in england for a while and you'll see what bad is..

Scotland or Ireland, what ever the weather (rain or freezing) wont ever be as bad. People tend to be generally warmer & friendlier, how ironic.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:08 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,936 times
What's your problem with England GracieJJ? You seem to have a chip on your shoulder the size of a canoe.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:13 AM

715 posts, read 2,087,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
What's your problem with England GracieJJ? You seem to have a chip on your shoulder the size of a canoe.
Its the pitts!!. considering the amount english posters posting away in other (States) threads of how they wanna come to America all because uk is just that.. Pitts!! in every sense of the word. You only to browse the californian threads to see how many of them are disullusioned (english).

Old 01-12-2009, 11:45 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieJJ View Post
Its the pitts!!. considering the amount english posters posting away in other (States) threads of how they wanna come to America all because uk is just that.. Pitts!! in every sense of the word. You only to browse the californian threads to see how many of them are disullusioned (english).
I thought you liked Scotland and its people?

You have only lived in England if i remember correctly, 2 different places dear.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:48 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,749,873 times
Somehow certain members have hijacked a thread about Scotland over to a promotional vehicle for their long-standing gripe against England.

Let's stick with the original topic, please.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:09 PM

179 posts, read 594,985 times
Yes, until the thread took a left, I was getting some good information from here.

I was just stopping by to see if the grass was truly greener on the other side.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:54 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
I grew up in Scotland, lived in England for 6 years, have lived in Switzerland for a few years and, of course, home is the USA.

Places are what you make of them. There are nice people everywhere and they pretty much have the same hopes and aspirations as the rest of us.

So you choose a place to live based on other factors such as: employment, size of community, access to leisure facilties, schools, weather, etc. etc..

I love going back to Scotland ..... to visit. However, I would not swap my Arizona weather for the west of Scotland. I don't miss the rain, I don't miss those long winter nights, I don't miss those dreich and overcast days.

I would certainly recommend Scotland - and especially Glasgow - to young people who want to go to University. The education is excellent - on a par with the better US private schools - as is, so I am told, the social scene. Given the recent fall in value of the pound, it is a very cost effective alternative as well as a wonderful life experience.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:45 AM

183 posts, read 396,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I would certainly recommend Scotland - and especially Glasgow - to young people who want to go to University. The education is excellent - on a par with the better US private schools - as is, so I am told, the social scene. Given the recent fall in value of the pound, it is a very cost effective alternative as well as a wonderful life experience.
Glasgow is indeed good for nightlife. Numerous bars and clubs to choose from, and the city centre has vastly been cleaned up over the last 20years. And many people do their college or uni studies there.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:58 PM

4 posts, read 9,209 times
America is an excellent place to live, certainly still the land of opportunity - the only problem I can see is when the sh*t hits the fan (you lose your job, you become ill etc) and you rely on the State to help you, in the US it's pretty non existent unless you have cash - the UK, for all its problems has the NHS and benefits and despite the odd scrounger abusing it its a gret plus - Scotlands only major downfall is the ruddy weather rain rain and more rain (ok and neds)!

Old 02-16-2009, 06:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,166 times
Default Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17271 View Post
I live in the U.S. and it seems everything is going downhill right before our eyes. Mass illegal immigration invasion, bad economy, no one on the same page, etc. This country is really becoming a bad place to live. I was wondering if Scotland is any better.
I was born there and moved to Canada 20 plus years ago, most recently I returned to Scotland for a visit and let me be completely honest, it's NOT a place you would want to put down roots, Its gone down hill at an alarming rate....crime, unemployment, house reposessions at an all time high.....overcrowding....plus mass immigration from europe mainly from poland etc etc etc.....stay put or pick a place like Canada

tam the bam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom