Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 07:43 AM

183 posts, read 395,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Wow oh wee, tell me something have you ever lived here in Scotland? Or are you just judging by what you hear from people that have never been?

Glasgow like many cities has changed its image and for the better. It's cosmopolitan, it has a rich culture and has a great nightlife scene. We also have many tourists and students living here. You have bad areas which are in the outskirts but the city itself is beautiful and has rich areas like Hyndland, west end. Housing is expensive in any nice area you want to live.

Where I live in a small village and housing is expensive but housing in the Highlands are alot more expensive than here, even in England it can be expensive. Again i do not know where you are getting this nonesense.

Now onto weather, the weather here is just like it is anywhere else in the UK, it rains in England too. It hasn't rained here in 1 week. Again i do not know where you are sourcing your crap from. Sub artic? Man you need to get out more. The average temperature here is 50 degrees. Not exactly sub-artic like you claim.

If there are better places to live than Scotland then why do we have so many foreigners living amongst us Scots?? It is not the cesspool that you make it out to be as proven.
I would rather be here than in London, once was enough for me down in that part of England.

I suggest that you do some homework and actually visit before slanting my country. There is more to my beautiful country than just Glasgow and slandering the city just shows me how ignorant you really are Because I can asure you that England is just like Scotland and has its problems like everywhere else. This is coming from a person that has been all over Europe and the U.S.

For those that want to know more

Glasgow: Scotland with style - About Glasgow

Average weather stats. Couldn't get Glasgow but Edinburgh is similar.

Average Weather for Edinburgh, SCT - Temperature and Precipitation

Comparing with London, there is practically no difference in climate

Average Weather for London, ENG - Temperature and Precipitation

Yeah Glasgow is dull, crime ridden and ugly

No body wants to visit

Well said Scotlass! How many times do we have to defend Glasgow and Scotland on here?

Scotland is not the Mad Max crime ridden dump that some people (usually those who have never visited) think it is!

Sure it's not Brigadoon, it has the same share of problems as other cities in the UK, but Glasgow has definitely changed.

We get mixed weather which is unpredictable but it does not rain every day!

And if Glasgow isn't to your taste there is always Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Inverness, Dundee, Stirling among many other towns and cities.

Welcome to Scotland everyone

Old 12-31-2008, 08:40 AM

2,501 posts, read 7,761,744 times
Hey, I was in your country for only 5 days, but absolutely loved it...especially Edinburgh, Glasgow, and the beautiful countryside. I can't wait to go back in 2 years, to spend more time there.

When I visit somewhere, I look for the positive sides and try to learn as much as I possibly can about the culture, history, architecture, etc. and don't spend my time comparing it to where I live. Living near a touristy city myself in the States, I can't stand to hear people walking about "trashing" my city or my country and talking about how much better things are where they live...why even leave home, then, with that attitude, right? So I don't do it when I travel to other places.

I'm with you about London...spent 3 days there and that was enough for me. I think I saw everything I wanted to see and did everything I wanted to do. Just too fast-paced for me, a small-town girl! I absolutely fell in love with the Lakes District though!

Old 12-31-2008, 09:29 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,113,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartanlad View Post
Well said Scotlass! How many times do we have to defend Glasgow and Scotland on here?

Scotland is not the Mad Max crime ridden dump that some people (usually those who have never visited) think it is!

Sure it's not Brigadoon, it has the same share of problems as other cities in the UK, but Glasgow has definitely changed.

We get mixed weather which is unpredictable but it does not rain every day!

And if Glasgow isn't to your taste there is always Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Inverness, Dundee, Stirling among many other towns and cities.

Welcome to Scotland everyone
Ignorance is everywhere, it annoys the hell out of me when people judge our country when they've never lived here let alone visited. I'm not a city girl personally but its always good to go there for good pubs and clubs, or fine dining. Though im 20 minutes from Loch Lomond and the beautiful countryside to chill

Scotland is a diverse country in everything and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Quote:
Hey, I was in your country for only 5 days, but absolutely loved it...especially Edinburgh, Glasgow, and the beautiful countryside. I can't wait to go back in 2 years, to spend more time there.

When I visit somewhere, I look for the positive sides and try to learn as much as I possibly can about the culture, history, architecture, etc. and don't spend my time comparing it to where I live. Living near a touristy city myself in the States, I can't stand to hear people walking about "trashing" my city or my country and talking about how much better things are where they live...why even leave home, then, with that attitude, right? So I don't do it when I travel to other places.

I'm with you about London...spent 3 days there and that was enough for me. I think I saw everything I wanted to see and did everything I wanted to do. Just too fast-paced for me, a small-town girl! I absolutely fell in love with the Lakes District though!
Today 02:43 PM
I felt the same when I visited my in laws in South Carolina, i'm kinda sad that they moved back to Mississippi because I loved Myrtle Beach, Hartsville, Conway, Darlington, Greenville was amazing i could have moved there. The climate was fantastic!

Old 12-31-2008, 06:19 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,095,181 times
Well I've never been to Scotland, but the family heritage is Scottish and I need to get over and find all my cousins.

Liverpool - isn't that where they steal your hubcaps.

How is Aberdeen? Inverness?

Old 01-01-2009, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCEddie View Post
Well I've never been to Scotland, but the family heritage is Scottish and I need to get over and find all my cousins.

Aberdeen and Inverness are relatively smaller in comparison to Glasgow and lack the bigger city ammenties. However they're still nice cities, not as busy but you still have that city feel there are pleanty of bars, restaurants, galleries etc pleanty to do.

Inverness is within close proximity to Loch Ness and Aberdeen with the Highlands.

I'm not a fan of Liverpool or much of the English cities, they lack character and Scottish charm. But thats just me, coming from experience.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:25 AM

183 posts, read 395,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCEddie View Post

Aberdeen is a nice place, only been up there a couple of times. It's about a 3 hr drive from central Scotland. Plenty of bars and restaurants there too, but it is a bit smaller than Glasgow or Edinburgh.

Don't know much about Inverness. Smaller again though than Aberdeen but a good base if you wanted to tour the Highlands of Scotland.

Never been to Liverpool, but it does get a reputation for the kind of thing you are suggesting. Maybe someone from there could post what Liverpool is really like.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:47 AM

100 posts, read 267,164 times
i live in st augustine fla,i think what americans lack is the desire to enjoy simple things,life here is so busy,most people i work with do not take vacations,they take the pay and keep working,the company i work for has an owner about 70 tears old who never takes off even though his son runs everything,we have become a country of workaholics,sacaficing family and freinds. we have no culture and little social life after high school,

Old 01-01-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartanlad View Post

Never been to Liverpool, but it does get a reputation for the kind of thing you are suggesting. Maybe someone from there could post what Liverpool is really like.
They can start their own thread

All the pictures I've seen of Scotland look great. Also pretty funny about Dundee with their two football clubs only 50 yards apart.

I really need to get over there, catch Idelwild and a few games.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarjae View Post
i live in st augustine fla,i think what americans lack is the desire to enjoy simple things,life here is so busy,most people i work with do not take vacations,they take the pay and keep working,the company i work for has an owner about 70 tears old who never takes off even though his son runs everything,we have become a country of workaholics,sacaficing family and freinds. we have no culture and little social life after high school,
Im sure its not that bad, well when i was there anyway it was great.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarjae View Post

Don't speak for me

I love my vacations, but its tough when you only get 2 weeks a year.

Our culture is sports. That's a huge part of our makeup, what is your favorite team? Did they make the playoffs? No, on to the next sport or the draft.

We have great museums, but let's face it - we don't have the Louvre, D'Orday, Uffizi, Rijksmuseum, or any of the other great ones. The Met is NY is great, Smithsonians great - but we are only 232 years old, give us some time.

But back to Scotland - I've got to figure out how to get over there and soon. Idlewild's new album comes out in the Spring.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom