Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 06:43 AM

2,266 posts, read 2,296,276 times

Advertisements

...and Gracie, Britain has been an "immigrant" destination going back to Roman times, long before the United States ever existed as a nation, even more so, London itself. Go to London and you'll hear every language in the world.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:56 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,118,273 times
Yes and like it or not the U.S still has alot of catching up to do when it comes to race relations, compared to the UK we're way ahead. But we're well known for our hospitality and for treating everyone as equals.

I have a friend from Mauritius that lives here, he is black and earns more money than me. Just goes to show that despite what colour of skin you have you will always be treated with respect and dignity here. I think i speak for everyone on the UK forum.

Half of my family are Italian, so they're immigrants and lead very successful lives in Scotland.

As for the south, im sure you still get people especially in rural areas that are racist. I've met a few but i have no time for people like that.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Yes and like it or not the U.S still has alot of catching up to do when it comes to race relations, compared to the UK we're way ahead. But we're well known for our hospitality and for treating everyone as equals.

I have a friend from Mauritius that lives here, he is black and earns more money than me. Just goes to show that despite what colour of skin you have you will always be treated with respect and dignity here. I think i speak for everyone on the UK forum.

Half of my family are Italian, so they're immigrants and lead very successful lives in Scotland.

As for the south, im sure you still get people especially in rural areas that are racist. I've met a few but i have no time for people like that.
I live in Miami, which I consider to be somewhat segregated. I've found that even the recent immigrants here are beyond racist.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
I live in Miami, which I consider to be somewhat segregated. I've found that even the recent immigrants here are beyond racist.
I don't know why its so rife like that in the U.S .i've never ever seen that here. There are alot of Asians in Glasgow and everyone seems to co-exist fine.

Must be the mentality of the people there, who knows.

I've always despised racists and bigots, there is no place for them here.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
I don't know why its so rife like that in the U.S .i've never ever seen that here. There are alot of Asians in Glasgow and everyone seems to co-exist fine.

Must be the mentality of the people there, who knows.

I've always despised racists and bigots, there is no place for them here.
So do I (despising racists).

In the UK, people can co-exist in a *far* more crowded country, with people of different religions/secular beliefs. For the most part, they do get along, although there are always exceptions (nowhere is perfect and racism exists in every country).

The US shares a border with Mexico and does receive a lot of illegal immigrants, which causes a lot of resentment. However, if the will was really there, they could construct a border fence and deploy many of the troops currently in Iraq along the borders to secure them.

By the same token, the UK received large waves of immigrants from Eastern Europe (after I'd left), which was largely successful, from what I've read and heard?

The US has just elected a black president though, which is a giant leap (even if you disagree with his policies).

Old 01-11-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:
So do I (despising racists).

In the UK, people can co-exist in a *far* more crowded country, with people of different religions/secular beliefs. For the most part, they do get along, although there are always exceptions (nowhere is perfect and racism exists in every country).

The US shares a border with Mexico and does receive a lot of illegal immigrants, which causes a lot of resentment. However, if the will was really there, they could construct a border fence and deploy many of the troops currently in Iraq along the borders to secure them.

By the same token, the UK received large waves of immigrants from Eastern Europe (after I'd left), which was largely successful, from what I've read and heard?

The US has just elected a black president though, which is a giant leap (even if you disagree with his policies).

America is making progress but like i said they're way behind us, but still its progress right?

There are many Polish nationals here but many are returning home as their country is getting better job wise and economically.

I agree that racism is everywhere but never to the extremes of what happened in the deep south back in the day where you had mass segregation, black bibles, toilets, you name it. Pretty shameful if you ask me but hey thats in the past.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:13 PM

715 posts, read 2,087,759 times
Quote:
...and Gracie, Britain has been an "immigrant" destination going back to Roman times, long before the United States ever existed as a nation, even more so, London itself. Go to London and you'll hear every language in the world.
Ive heard it all before, and no, it doesnt mean england is no less racist just because theres every frigging language spoken or heard of. I know, i lived there for a long time!!

When was the last time, you ever seen a non-white having public service management role? or even in the armed forces or even in the Health services??... I know of an Indian guy who sat high up in the met police but even he went public after being dismissed from his racist superiors. Did'nt they find the incompetent met police of institutional racism after they made an investigation due to the steven laurence case??

uk is loooonnngggg way away from being what it is here in the US..

You say Obama was a start?? Man, you folks have no idea.

Labour ‘racism’ would block British Obama, says Trevor Phillips - Times Online

Old 01-11-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieJJ View Post
Ive heard it all before, and no, it doesnt mean england is no less racist just because theres every frigging language spoken or heard of. I know, i lived there for a long time!!

When was the last time, you ever seen a non-white having public service management role? or even in the armed forces or even in the Health services??... I know of an Indian guy who sat high up in the met police but even he went public after being dismissed from his racist superiors. Did'nt they find the incompetent met police of institutional racism after they made an investigation due to the steven laurence case??

uk is loooonnngggg way away from being what it is here in the US..

You say Obama was a start?? Man, you folks have no idea.

Labour ‘racism’ would block British Obama, says Trevor Phillips - Times Online

From your posting it is you that is obviously clueless, you base your opinion on a "few" incidents. There are pleanty of mixed races in professional careers i'm guessing you've never been to Scotland, figures.

You forget about the racism in the Southern US, the mass segregation, it was big news here. We've never had anything like that here, if anything we welcome immigrants to live/work here. You have a long way before your up to date like us. But with Obama being the first black pressie your slowely getting there.

Looks like your facts are wrong again.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 01-11-2009 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: Let's keep the personal comments out of it

Old 01-11-2009, 04:35 PM

715 posts, read 2,087,759 times
Quote:
From your posting it is you that is obviously clueless, you base your opinion on a "few" incidents. There are pleanty of mixed races in professional careers i'm guessing you've never been to Scotland, figures.

You forget about the racism in the Southern US, the mass segregation, it was big news here. We've never had anything like that here, if anything we welcome immigrants to live/work here. You have a long way before your up to date like us. But with Obama being the first black pressie your slowely getting there.

Looks like your facts are wrong again.
Dont you just love ignorance.. You only have to browse the other thread regarding harry the royal moron about the racial slurs and you lot think its perfectly normal... I'd like to know if there are or have been any non white that has ever held any Top managerial position, you cant come up with any!.

So what facts are you on about??

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 01-11-2009 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: leave out the personal attacks

Old 01-11-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieJJ View Post
Dont you just love ignorance.. You only have to browse the other thread regarding harry the royal moron about the racial slurs and you lot think its perfectly normal... I'd like to know if there are or have been any non white that has ever held any Top managerial position, you cant come up with any!.

So what facts are you on about??
You lot? Are you meaning myself aswell? I don't recall seeing that as being "acceptable" my dear. In fact I think it is wrong, any type of racism is wrong in my books.

How do you know who my friends/aquintances are? I've known a few blacks that are pretty high up in my local council and in the aviation industry. Look at the surgeons in the NHS most are non white.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 01-11-2009 at 08:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom