Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 10:34 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times

Advertisements

Isn't there some kind of monorail like thing in a complex there, maybe I have this confused with Irving. I always forget which one is which
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 10:43 AM
k_s

405 posts, read 896,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Isn't there some kind of monorail like thing in a complex there, maybe I have this confused with Irving. I always forget which one is which
That's in Las Colinas (north Irving), but Irving also has DART service.

The only transit system near Arlington that connects it to the larger cities of the Metroplex is the TRE, but again, that's technically in Fort Worth.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:40 PM

638 posts, read 929,612 times
Indianapolis also ranks poorly in the mass transit arena. Indy has a metro area of around 2 million people, however it’s bus system operates a paltry 150 busses over 28 routes. Compare this with Louisville KY’s (roughly half Indy’s metro size) bus system that operates 240 busses over 51 routes. How can this be???...

Light rail discussions have frequently come up over the past decade however tax payers routinely vote with opposition. Many state that Indygo (Indy’s bus system) frequently struggles with ridership. Well I guess it would when it operates a system that is nearly half of a system in operation within a city half the size of Indy. LOL….

Old 08-02-2010, 02:52 PM

860 posts, read 1,357,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDCJoe View Post
Indianapolis also ranks poorly in the mass transit arena. Indy has a metro area of around 2 million people, however it’s bus system operates a paltry 150 busses over 28 routes. Compare this with Louisville KY’s (roughly half Indy’s metro size) bus system that operates 240 busses over 51 routes. How can this be???...

Light rail discussions have frequently come up over the past decade however tax payers routinely vote with opposition. Many state that Indygo (Indy’s bus system) frequently struggles with ridership. Well I guess it would when it operates a system that is nearly half of a system in operation within a city half the size of Indy. LOL….
Not to mention Indy sprawls like crazy and many parts lack sidewalks. I always see bus stations randomly in the lawn of some store or on the corner of a street somehwere void of sidewalks. How are people supposed to get to the bus stops

Old 08-02-2010, 04:23 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,681,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austiNati View Post
Not to mention Indy sprawls like crazy and many parts lack sidewalks. I always see bus stations randomly in the lawn of some store or on the corner of a street somehwere void of sidewalks. How are people supposed to get to the bus stops
It makes no sense. I never paid much attention in most cities I've visited or lived in, but I have to commend the Boston suburbs. I never rode the buses there, but I was impressed by how they actually went straight up to the door of stores in strip malls to pick people up and drop them off. I'd never noticed that anywhere else. In Houston, people are expected to walk what seems like miles across a parking lot--you know, dodging cars--to wait for the bus... on a street with no sidewalk or bus shelter... in the blazing heat... with their purchases in hand.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:19 PM

721 posts, read 2,609,987 times
Surprisingly the Duluth, MN (City 85-90 thousand) Metro (275,000) bus system is pretty good. College students (Duluth has 5 colleges and about 25,000 students) take the bus anywhere for free. They are planning a new Hub station in prep for the future high speed rail to connect with Minneapolis downtown. Bus shelters are heated and located along side walks (imagine that!) and they drop you off at the front door of shopping centers.

The city is also incorporating bike lanes and trails into it's comprehensive plan and adding side walks to streets that have not had them (why they never did is beyond me) in order to encourage more walking to shops (see if that works) and adding neighborhood park and rides. I think that is pretty good for a city this size.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:32 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times
Houston comes to mind. For a metropolis that covers so much area it has a pathetic mass transit system.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:53 PM

77 posts, read 171,690 times
Kansas City and Omaha are two cities that come to mind.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:16 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
everywhere i've ever lived, it was just common local knowledge that mass transit was for poor people only. it was seen as akin to welfare.
I'm guessing you are talking about small cities and/or most Southern cities?

Old 08-07-2010, 04:08 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Any city in California. It's not that Californian's wont spend money for mass transit. California has great rail systems. People here just wont ride it. An average California commuter will be more then happy to drive his gas guzzling SUV for two hours through some of the most hellish slow moving traffic. That would drive most other people out of their cars and onto mass transit in a second. But not in Californian. Californians will drive for two hours through stop and go traffic, to get into the city. Pay a $6 bridge toll. Then spend another half hour looking for a parking garage to park in, and and pay $30 for the privilege of parking there. And it will never occur to them that they could have taken the train for $7, and gotten there in half the time.

Last edited by KaaBoom; 08-07-2010 at 05:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning