Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 04:11 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,280,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Hmm. I see more bike riders in cities than suburbs. Depends on where, I guess.
Depends on who the bike riders are. In suburbs, bikes are children's toys, or at best recreational equipment. In cities, bikes are more likely to be used for practical transportation--commuting, couriers, tourism, deliveries, even as public transportation. Of course, people also bike in the city because it is fun.

Quote:
The mall near where I live has a farm with cows next to it. How do you classify that?
The first stage of infection.

Shopping malls are placed on agricultural land because it is cheap enough to provide "free" parking lots to mall customers. Typically once a mall goes in, development of the nearby rural area follows. About 20 miles south of where I live, the neighboring city approved plans to build a new shopping mall adjacent to farms with cows--the intent was to create a new neighborhood to the south, with the mall as the generator of traffic. Of course, that was a few years ago, and the housing crash halted the mall's construction in mid-build. It has been sitting, abandoned, for a number of years, and now that city wants to declare the property "blighted" and turn it into a redevelopment zone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 11:46 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,382,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Suburban
This pic is of Breezewood, PA, which is not suburban in the least. It is a rural area that happens to have a lot of travel-related businesses because it is at the junction of two major interstate highways. An area does not become "suburban" just because a bunch of businesses move in. Suburban areas must be near urban areas by defintion.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:56 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,382,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Interesting. I've never seen such a development like this. Seems like the worst of both worlds, all the downside of density (no space, congestion, noise) with no of the positive (walkability, better mass transit, lively streets). At least you have the beach nearby.
In the DC suburbs, we have a number of these types of developments as well (no beach though). Also known as "towers-in-the-park"-style developments. Most were built in the late 70's/early 80's, but do at least feature sidewalks and bus transit. They can be found in the Landmark, Huntington, and Skyline areas of Northern VA.

The first apartment I lived in around here was actually built as towers-in-the-park in the early 60's but then actually gained all of the positives of being in an urban area as the "parks" around them developed- empty fields were replaced by a mall, then a Metro station, and now the area has all of the typical amenities of an urban neighborhood.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:40 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,514,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
This pic is of Breezewood, PA, which is not suburban in the least. It is a rural area that happens to have a lot of travel-related businesses because it is at the junction of two major interstate highways. An area does not become "suburban" just because a bunch of businesses move in. Suburban areas must be near urban areas by defintion.
Breezewood can hardly be used as an example. It's a pretty special case. It does not "happen to be" at the junction, it IS the junction, or rather, it is a freaking roadblock in the way of a junction. You have to go through several traffic lights to remain on I-70 where it merges with the turnpike because of some bizarre funding rules and subsequent lobbying by the businesses and politicians of Breezewood to keep a proper interchange from being built. It's a political boondoggle.

I avoid it like the plague.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:34 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
In the DC suburbs, we have a number of these types of developments as well (no beach though). Also known as "towers-in-the-park"-style developments. Most were built in the late 70's/early 80's, but do at least feature sidewalks and bus transit. They can be found in the Landmark, Huntington, and Skyline areas of Northern VA.

The first apartment I lived in around here was actually built as towers-in-the-park in the early 60's but then actually gained all of the positives of being in an urban area as the "parks" around them developed- empty fields were replaced by a mall, then a Metro station, and now the area has all of the typical amenities of an urban neighborhood.
Yea, towers in the park, aren't so bad if they're not isolated. Still not my taste. I drive past these towers in the park development often:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...utch_River.jpg

I think they've been built stores and other amenities nearby but it's still relatively isolated.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
There seems to be a lot of disagreement about what these mean to different posters here. I'm often surprised to read what some posters' descriptions of these are.

So, using Google street view, your own images, whatever, show us what you think of, or what you consider to be idea/stereotypical, when you read/hear the words urban, suburban, and/or rural.

Here is where I grew up, and so forms my concept of suburban:
Commercial district - Perry Heights, Ohio - Google Maps

Residential - Perry Heights, Ohio - Google Maps

This is what rural looks like where I grew up:
Beach City, OH - Google Maps

I've posted these before, but these are images of what I consider ideal urban neighborhoods: (one could easily walk to stores, restaurants, and mass-transit to get downtown for work)
It is not inherently obvious from those pictures that one could easily walk to any of the above. I grew up in a neighborhood of similar houses, in fact, one looks sort of like my parents' house. Our 'hood wasn't particularly walkable, other than to school and a convenience store. There was a bus that went to downtown Beaver Falls, a small mill town. Very few people worked there, other than the people who worked in the stores.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:17 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It is not inherently obvious from those pictures that one could easily walk to any of the above. I grew up in a neighborhood of similar houses, in fact, one looks sort of like my parents' house. Our 'hood wasn't particularly walkable, other than to school and a convenience store. There was a bus that went to downtown Beaver Falls, a small mill town. Very few people worked there, other than the people who worked in the stores.
That's why I made the point of mentioning it. And, I'll admit that, by big city standards, this neighborhood isn't that walkable. But, if I'm ever able to find a place there, I think it will suit me well.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:25 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I've posted these before, but these are images of what I consider ideal urban neighborhoods: (one could easily walk to stores, restaurants, and mass-transit to get downtown for work)
This is the area I lived in a few years ago: 3079 Brighton 12th Street, New York, United States - Google Maps

Obviously an urban area.

And here are some snapshots of my present-day neighborhood, which would be considered urban by every standard except NYC's:

54 Longdale Street, Staten Island, New York, United States - Google Maps

Townhouses.

300 Arlene Street, Staten Island, New York, United States - Google Maps

A little bit more spread out, but still a pretty walkable neighborhood.

27 Arlene Street, Staten Island, New York, United States - Google Maps

Further up the streets, there's some classic "suburban-style" ranch homes with a couple of McMansions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubanfromMiami View Post
About as low density as you can get without being rural. THIS is sprawl. I hate this development with a passion. You can find this throughout all of broward county. This could be considered medium-income. $300-400k homes. That's not that much in Miami.
The Google Map image isn't showing up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Depends on who the bike riders are. In suburbs, bikes are children's toys, or at best recreational equipment. In cities, bikes are more likely to be used for practical transportation--commuting, couriers, tourism, deliveries, even as public transportation. Of course, people also bike in the city because it is fun.
In some city areas, it's only "fun" if you're a daredevil. I've seen people bicycling on busy avenues in the middles of Manhattan and I wonder how they haven't been hit by a car yet.

Quote:
Aventura does have bus transit, but the thing is that you have to walk through cul-de-sacs and parking lots to get to the bus stop.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:22 AM

690 posts, read 1,202,136 times
Its funny our 'suburban' developments in England are mostly far higher density than urban/inner city neighbourhoods in most US cities.

Inner City

Suburban

Those homes are very generic 1990s 'barratt boxes' which you'll find exact copies of in every british town and city.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:06 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,981,943 times
The suburban links in the first post look more rural to me. I guess that I'm one of the ones that think that what some people here consider urban, I consider suburban, what some consider suburban I consider rural, and what some consider rural I consider farmland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning