Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 08:26 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I have heard it implied that no empty nesters move to central cities, for various reasons. That seems incorrect to me. Do you have evidence/anecdotes of any particular empty nesters who have moved to a central city?

Every decade or so I read of a "back to the city" movement. Either it doesn't really exist or these movements end......without the news articles to inform us of their demise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 09:06 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,213,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
eek. that's kinda sad. I thought Chicago was recovering nicely.
Downtown Chicago and the north side have grown and gentrified over the last decade. There is tons of new construction and residential development in this part of the city. However, that part of the city only covers about 25%-30% of the city's land area, and the rest of the city is not that desirable and is losing population.

As far as empty nesters go, yes, there are a good deal that have moved into downtown Chicago. There was actually a 55+ retirement highrise recently built around the corner from where I live.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:40 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Would you consider moving back to the city yourself?
yes, its on our radar. Thats not why I posted this though.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That's evidence that one person did it, sort of like the articles in these links when you actually read them. A city of 30,000 isn't quite comparable to NYC or even Denver, either.
Ive given you multiple links, anecdotes, etc.

Short of doing a full fledged detailed study using census data, maybe surveys, etc, I am not sure what else you want (and if you want me to do that kind of study,you are going to have to pay me )

Its enough of a widespread phenom its been widely noticed by people who live in center cities. It easy to get an anecdote fairly quickly in one of CD's less well read forums. Its gotten media attention. And there have been developments built with this market in mind.

Now, is at as large a demo as YOUNG people living in center cities. No, its not. Is it the majority of all empty nesters - no, its not. But it still seems to be a notable phenom.

I would point out though, that one of the constraining factors is the high price of center city real estate. IE "no one goes there, its too crowded" in the immortal words of Yogi Berra. That hardly seems to me like evidence that central city revival is weakening, or that there is not a real demand for more transit oriented, walkable, communities.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:54 AM

Study on Housing Trends Among Baby Boomers
  • At the national level, empty-nest retirement-age suburban homeowners are not flocking to urban areas in great numbers. In particular, based on the last decade’s experience, in a given five-year period, only two percent of all empty-nest retirement-age suburban homeowners can be expected to move to an urban area.
  • Suburban empty-nesters are just as likely to move to a non-metropolitan area as they are to an urban area.
  • The suburban-to-urban flow of homeowners represents just 5 percent of the stock of all retirement-age empty-nest homeowners located in central cities. When the urban-to-suburban flow of empty-nesters is taken into account, the net migration effect from the suburbs to urban area is –7.2 percent. Any return of empty-nesters to the urban core is not enough to stem the tide of urban-suburban flight.
  • Over all metropolitan areas, 76 percent of empty-nest suburbanites who moved to urban areas were white, 60 percent were married, 25 percent were divorced and just over 40 percent had college degrees and were younger than 55, respectively. About half of these movers had incomes of $40,000 or less, and three-quarters had incomes of $70,000 or less.
  • Empty-nest suburbanites moving back to the urban core in the 10 largest metropolitan areas were more likely to be non-white, more highly educated, and to have incomes greater than $70,000, respectively, than movers in all other metropolitan areas.
  • Although the housing and mortgage markets associated both with second homes and empty-nest movers are small, they will experience sustained growth as the Baby Boomers age, simply because of the sheer size of the Baby Boom cohort. In the next ten years, the number of second homes is forecast to grow by 2 million housing units according to these projections. However, there does not appear to be substantial growth in second-home mortgage activity on the horizon: the number of second-home mortgages is only forecast to grow by a total of 500,000 loans in the decade.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:46 AM

another anecdote from the Times, today, this time not so high end

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/13/re...nted=1&_r=1&hp

Old 02-16-2011, 11:02 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
In my hometiown of Massillon, Ohio, (about 30k people) this building: File:Ideal Department Store Building (Massillon, OH).JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia was converted to apartments for those 55+, over a decade ago.

Here is the Google Street View:
Massillon, Ohio - Google Maps
This particular location has a walkscore of 94.

I was excited when they began work on the building, but was a little disappointed to learn that the apartments were only for those 55+

Old 02-21-2011, 02:04 AM

896 posts, read 1,853,830 times
The city I was talking about was Sandusky, OH. Obviously a very small city, but it's slowly turning around it's downtown into a more lively, urban center, with vacant spaces in old buildings being developed into new restaurants and apartments and what not.

Last edited by Tobias C; 02-21-2011 at 02:12 AM..

Old 02-21-2011, 06:19 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
I personally know of some here who've retired in downtown Providence who fit the trend and also in downtown Boston.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:41 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
another anecdote from the Times, today, this time not so high end

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/13/re...nted=1&_r=1&hp
Ok. This is similar to the situation I envisioned for my parents when I said it would not cost them money to move into the city (in the other thread). I had calculated with a two-bedroom in a slightly less fancy neighborhood. Numbers are slightly similar, and it points out the savings in property taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning