Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sprawl?
I LIKE sprawl 93 28.53%
I HATE sprawl 233 71.47%
Voters: 326. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 10:26 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
Of course I'm describing the country. Or, more correctly, the encroachment of sprawling suburbs into the country.

I'm well aware that urban sprawl doesn't have livestock or hay fields. I do. And urban sprawl is slowly destroying them.
I agree with you. Nature is being choked out of the US. We are rapidly seeing the demise of those pristine places. I like the idea that they have in Great Britain. They have wide green places throughout the island and have outlawed building on them. You are never really too far from country. I wish we had that here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 10:41 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I agree with you. Nature is being choked out of the US. We are rapidly seeing the demise of those pristine places. I like the idea that they have in Great Britain. They have wide green places throughout the island and have outlawed building on them. You are never really too far from country. I wish we had that here.
Have you been to the UK? The UK, especially England, has few pristine places. While a lot of American cities have lots rural areas near the immediate cities due to sprawl, outside there often lots of undeveloped land. The northeast (the densest part of the country) is full of forest and relatively undeveloped land not too far out from the cities. I was in NYC this weekend and took a train ride 55 miles north (1hr 20mins or so) to go hiking. It was rather undeveloped countryside, mostly forest and a few fields with small mountains, a couple towns in the distance but otherwise felt in the middle of nowhere. I doubt London has something as empty. And the amount of undeveloped land in the western US is a whole level above the northeast. I was 80 miles west of Seattle once on the top of a mountain by myself and no sign of any sign of human or anything human made in the view which stretched on for dozens of miles.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:15 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
In Illinois we have forest preserves throughout the area. Lots of nature for people to enjoy. There is one county that chose to preserve land not for public use, but to keep it as farmland, an idea I do not support.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:24 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
In Illinois we have forest preserves throughout the area. Lots of nature for people to enjoy. There is one county that chose to preserve land not for public use, but to keep it as farmland, an idea I do not support.
I like the idea of preserving farmland. It's good to have some farmland around, there can be public use land elsewhere (we have lots of state forests and just forests in general). No need to have the towns sprawl into farmland.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:53 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:

Actually in many Northeastern metros there is much preserved farmland; I think I read that Bucks County PA (suburban Philly) preserved more than 9,000 acres of farmland last decade alone. It makes for odd development patterns as there are vast spaces of open land sorrounded by development. On the whole I like it

Old 02-26-2012, 10:58 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
I would prefer that land be preserved for public use; hiking, picnicking, exploring, etc. Farmland does not offer that. If farmers want to place covenants on their land prohibiting any other use, that is their business. But I disagree with taxpayer funds being used to protect farmland.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:07 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
I would prefer that land be preserved for public use; hiking, picnicking, exploring, etc. Farmland does not offer that. If farmers want to place covenants on their land prohibiting any other use, that is their business. But I disagree with taxpayer funds being used to protect farmland.
Fair points; though many times the taxpayers vote to purchase the farms from the specific area and deed the land very cheaply to the farmers so they can sustain. Also at times developers of other areas close assist in purchasing.

This does offer at times some more public use. Areas to pick your own crops, pumpkin patches, educational aspects, farm fresh dairy, cheese etc. (also many times a local produce/dairy/organic store is involved) Also some also include open space (non farmed) but see your point.

The other aspect is they really dont stop sprawl by any means just intersperce it. I can say though this area is also very lucky to have ample parkland as well already in place.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:12 AM

Often the best land for farmland is in the same spot as the best land for development. For example, in Western Massachusetts both the farmland and development is concentrated in the valleys while the hills are mostly forested (was farmed a long time ago in many cases though, now abandoned to forest). It's worth preventing the development and farmland from competing with each other, and I like having farmland nearby.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Have you been to the UK? The UK, especially England, has few pristine places. While a lot of American cities have lots rural areas near the immediate cities due to sprawl, outside there often lots of undeveloped land. The northeast (the densest part of the country) is full of forest and relatively undeveloped land not too far out from the cities. I was in NYC this weekend and took a train ride 55 miles north (1hr 20mins or so) to go hiking. It was rather undeveloped countryside, mostly forest and a few fields with small mountains, a couple towns in the distance but otherwise felt in the middle of nowhere. I doubt London has something as empty. And the amount of undeveloped land in the western US is a whole level above the northeast. I was 80 miles west of Seattle once on the top of a mountain by myself and no sign of any sign of human or anything human made in the view which stretched on for dozens of miles.
Some less-urban photos nearby American cities:

50-55 miles north of NYC

is quiet yet accessible by train. Train tracks are a bit noisy, but once you get away.

55-60 miles west of Seattle:

No sign of human anywhere...

25 miles east of Portland (noisy from interstate):

and west:

Old 03-01-2012, 08:34 PM

What do people think of my photos of no sprawl near American cities?

I think the wide open spaces and lots of preserved land is what makes America truly unique compared to Europe. But a lot of conservatives who keep saying America is so different and special from Europe fail to mention the most important thing.

A great country needs lots of open land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning