Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2011, 09:19 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Please quit hijacking threads to try to discredit me.

I stand by what I said. This constant references to wanting to live near bars does SOUND (operative word) like an alcohol obsession.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 03-29-2011 at 09:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 09:33 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
You just contradicted yourself.

LOL
The drunks from the suburbs drive home in that state. The drunks in the neighborhood walk home. Slight difference.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:42 AM

57 posts, read 75,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
The drunks from the suburbs drive home in that state. The drunks in the neighborhood walk home. Slight difference.
Hmm... sounds like the west coast has a bit of a different attitude about this than they do around here. Here driving home drunk will get you a DUI. Walking home drunk will get you a PD. Either way you're going to jail. And it's VERY common for law enforcement to be hanging out in the parking lot around closing time.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:52 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingWolf View Post
Hmm... sounds like the west coast has a bit of a different attitude about this than they do around here. Here driving home drunk will get you a DUI. Walking home drunk will get you a PD. Either way you're going to jail. And it's VERY common for law enforcement to be hanging out in the parking lot around closing time.
The drunkness required for a PD is much higher than a DUI. PD is usually for doing something reckless or stupid. And yes, I've seen police hang out in front bars around closing time (those bars didn't have parking lots though, they were keeping an eye out for drunk or obnoxious people, but it was also crowd control)

You can be coherent and mostly in self-control but definitely too drunk too drive. Motor coordination is one of the first things to go away after drinking. One can also be unable to walk in a straight line but be able navigate and give good directions.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingWolf View Post
Such was the case in my daughter's college town in Indiana, too. Plus there's always "drunk and disorderly".

Old 03-29-2011, 11:15 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Please quit hijacking threads to try to discredit me.

I stand by what I said. This constant references to wanting to live near bars does SOUND (operative word) like an alcohol obsession.

I did not change the topic, someone else did.

Wanting to live near bars does not sound like an alcohol obsession to me. To me wine or other alcoholic drinks, consumed in moderation, can a be a perfectly healthy part of life. I'd love it if we had a nice wine bar within walking distance.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:20 AM

57 posts, read 75,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The drunkness required for a PD is much higher than a DUI. PD is usually for doing something reckless or stupid. And yes, I've seen police hang out in front bars around closing time (those bars didn't have parking lots though, they were keeping an eye out for drunk or obnoxious people, but it was also crowd control)

You can be coherent and mostly in self-control but definitely too drunk too drive. Motor coordination is one of the first things to go away after drinking. One can also be unable to walk in a straight line but be able navigate and give good directions.
Varies by state, the standard for PD here is if the cops determine you're a danger to yourself, a danger to others, a danger to property, or are "unreasonably annoying" to those in the vicinity. So if the police talk to you on your way home from the bar and you smell like alcohol and they think you're annoying you can be charged with PD. It's not that hard to annoy a southern cop.

In reality it tends to be used as a source of a quick fine and court costs for the city/county and a way to appease the local churches who are still pissed that liquor-by-the-drink was ever approved in the first place.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:16 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

No its isn't. All it takes is to be noticed and most drunks are noticed whether they believe it or not. In the burbs really there is much stricter enforcement of drink i both vehicles and on raodawy because of the cop to people density alone.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:57 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Wanting to live near bars does not sound like an alcohol obsession to me. To me wine or other alcoholic drinks, consumed in moderation, can a be a perfectly healthy part of life. I'd love it if we had a nice wine bar within walking distance.
I associate bar going with moderate drinking, too. Partly because it's often a social atmosphere and because bars are too expensive to buy lots of drinks (at least for me; I'm rather cheap; I'm sure there are some that burn lots of money at bars). Though, I can see why one would think being walking distance to a bar (rather than a liquor store) might imply alcoholism, but that angle didn't occur to me. Seems like a lot posters here would like to be walking distance to everything (grocery stores, restaurants, book stores, etc) as well. For some people a night out at a restaurant is followed by going to a bar.

There's a wine bar in walking distance from me. Haven't been there, can't really afford it. Felt like my town was turning a bit too yuppi-ish by having a wine bar. Also, you can get one or two cafes you can order wine from, but they're not specifically a wine bar.

Last edited by nei; 03-29-2011 at 04:16 PM..

Old 03-29-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I did not change the topic, someone else did.

1. As I said, I studied alcholism in grad school. One thing we learned is that alcoholics and others with euphemistically termed "drinking problems" spend a lot of their time planning their drinking.

2. You could walk to a wine bar if you lived in my suburb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning