Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 08:53 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times

Advertisements

Depends on what you consider "wealthy." But remember, it isn't so much about not driving as not having to drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 11:57 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,763,183 times
Okay, the two market spaces are about the same square feet. 14,500 sq. ft. each and fitting Whole Food's smaller size format. The one with alot of parking near the university is an old building. The other one in downtown will be new, next to a hotel, some underground and valet parking, and next to new downtown apartments.

Which one would make more sense for Whole Foods to go in? The older building would be at a cheaper price, but the downtown location seems more profitable.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
I wouldn't give a d*** where a Whole Foods would go. I don't darken their doors.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:51 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,518,729 times
Whole foods is very popular with all of the Americorps volunteers in Baltimore who receive food stamps (in the form of an Indepnedence Card). They're the only ones I know who can afford to shop there :-D

Old 03-07-2011, 12:54 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I wouldn't give a d*** where a Whole Foods would go. I don't darken their doors.
You're allergic to quinoa? Boycotting them for some political reason?

I can't afford to shop there regularly (and they arent CLOSE enough) but they DO have some interesting items.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

then why are you responding to a question about where one should go?

Old 03-07-2011, 01:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
You're allergic to quinoa? Boycotting them for some political reason?

I can't afford to shop there regularly (and they arent CLOSE enough) but they DO have some interesting items.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
then why are you responding to a question about where one should go?
They are non-union; the CEO doesn't believe in UHC; my daughter's friend worked at a WF and they stonewalled on giving her high school graduation day off so she could walk with her class and get her diploma.

Quit playing "gotcha", please. It didn't start out as a thread about Whole Foods; it started out as a thread about "downtown markets". Plus, there are some issues in the conversation that don't have to do with WF.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:43 PM

the person who posted the OP, went on to narrow it to a WF question.

I see three choices for posters - 1, try to answer the question helpfully 2, not respond 3, make a remark about boycotting WF.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:56 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
I wouldn't go to "Whole Paycheck" either, both because of their union stance and their sky-high prices. I have my choice of a unionized supermarket, a family-owned discount store, an employee-owned co-op, and a dozen little ethnic grocery markets.

I think "the city" only considers downtown markets "successful" if they attract the wealthy. There is plenty of money to be made selling to other segments of the population...like, well, me.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:26 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
The answer to this question is really very simple. it will on depend on each specific location.

As for WF's there are two in downtown Philly, One just off the parkway toward the Art Museum neighbood which has an actual surfac parking area and decent size. the other is on South Strett at about 10th. This one is more walkable to more people but also offers elevated parking above the street level store. Both WFs offer parking but there are many other stores in the downtown that do not. It will really each specific location as to how best it can work. To the question of can it work without parking, the answer is absolutely with the caveat of not in every downtown location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning