Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 09:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Yeah, the ironic part is that you're more likely to get killed behind the wheel than you are by terrorism. But some people are acting like having a car makes them so safe.

For all the people saying how important cars are to them, I have a question: What's your plan when you reach an age where you're so old you can't drive?
By the time you get to that point, you usually don't care. I've seen that with my parents and in-laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 09:29 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,473,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
By the time you get to that point, you usually don't care. I've seen that with my parents and in-laws.
What do you mean by that? Do they continue driving even though they shouldn't? Or do they accept the fact that they can't drive?

Old 07-14-2011, 10:59 AM

1,742 posts, read 959,658 times
I live in suburbia, but it's an older suburb (not master planned) that has had time to mature. I'm no fan of suburban sprawl as shown in the pics in the first few posts, but some people do like it. For some, living in a big, dense, urban envirnoment is their preference. Others prefer older suburbs (like mine) or newer suburbs that while further out,are often cheaper. Then others prefer small towns and the country. Can't we all acknowlege this fact? You're never going to change someone's mind by persuasion. People's lives change and sometimes their preferences change with it. Although I've lived in the suburbs all my life, at this point I do like the idea of living in a city and will probably be doing that in the next few years. All of these options have their advantages and dis-advantages, and to expect everyone to feel the same way about things is unrealistic.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:20 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
I don't have a car, but I live somewhere that doesn't get natural disasters.
Hurricanes, tornadoes and wildfires are all documented in NM. I believe all three are classified as natural disasters.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
What do you mean by that? Do they continue driving even though they shouldn't? Or do they accept the fact that they can't drive?
They don't care about driving. They let other people drive them. They also need help when they get where they're going, e.g. the grocery store, etc.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:40 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
Quote:
Yeah, the ironic part is that you're more likely to get killed behind the wheel than you are by terrorism. But some people are acting like having a car makes them so safe.

For all the people saying how important cars are to them, I have a question: What's your plan when you reach an age where you're so old you can't drive?

we have a friend who has visual problems that limit her driving, which has made her dependent on her spouse and her friends, esp at night. She has said she would move to be near transit, but she and her spouse have a lot of decluttering to do (Im pretty sure they arent willing to pay what a 4BR house with basement near a metro station in a safe nabe would cost around here)

Old 07-14-2011, 12:59 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,473,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Hurricanes, tornadoes and wildfires are all documented in NM. I believe all three are classified as natural disasters.
If any tornadoes happened in New Mexico, they must be on the plains in the eastern part of the state. Las Cruces is in the desert in the south central part of the state. Wildfires are in the forests, not the desert. As for hurricanes, there's no ocean. Maybe New Mexico was near the ocean during pre-historic times? But other than that, I don't see how New Mexico would get a hurricane.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:13 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,494,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
I live in suburbia, but it's an older suburb (not master planned) that has had time to mature. I'm no fan of suburban sprawl as shown in the pics in the first few posts, but some people do like it. For some, living in a big, dense, urban envirnoment is their preference. Others prefer older suburbs (like mine) or newer suburbs that while further out,are often cheaper. Then others prefer small towns and the country. Can't we all acknowlege this fact? You're never going to change someone's mind by persuasion. People's lives change and sometimes their preferences change with it. Although I've lived in the suburbs all my life, at this point I do like the idea of living in a city and will probably be doing that in the next few years. All of these options have their advantages and dis-advantages, and to expect everyone to feel the same way about things is unrealistic.
Absolutely! But, the dominance of car-oriented development in the US is made possible, partly, with government subsidization. And, because this has been going on for decades now, people have grown used to this, and have begun to feel it's their right to have car-oriented development, and that this is the kind of environment they prefer.

If asked, most people would probably say they'd prefer to live near the beach. So, if the government subsidized beach communites in some way that made living there more attainable to those people, many more people would live near the beach. But, the government doesn't subsidize living near the beach. And, a vast majority of people are perfectly happy not living near a beach, even though they would if it was more attainable.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:39 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Re: natural disasters. Yes you are more likely to die from a car accident than a natural disaster.

But heart disease kills more than anything:

FASTSTATS - Leading Causes of Death

Although no significant deaths resulted from Hurricane Rita in 2005 - they tried to evacuate Houston - and it was a complete mess.

Comment on an earlier note - of course it doesn't need to be all urban or all rural. It isn't that way now and it doesn't need to be either/or.

All of the urban is good crowd seems perfectly comfortable with the idea of increasing our citizen's dependency on government provided infrastructure and services. I'm not. For those that want to share walls with people, and live surrounded by concrete and noise - go for it.

I don't advocate ever-increasing sprawl. Simply pushing people into denser areas will not work if they can't afford it, the schools are poor, or the housing choices simply are unappealing.

If you want to live in "central" Austin - it will cost you 2X what it costs in the suburbs, and the K-12 schools are not comparable.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:45 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
By the way - the title of this thread ("from the air") - do we really care what it looks like from an airplane or from outer space? I don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning